The Redemption Line

Flyingswede

Do we dare to have good expectations? or will it only be sadness out of it? In theory this line could come up producing alot if everthing clutch. Its aveteran line but there is skills, there is experience, there is cup winning. On the downside there is age, slowness, injuries, "grabbing the stick to hard- syndrome". I guess none of them have a huge amont of self-esteem right know and maybe its risky to have three of them on the same line. At the same time if they do not over-work it something good can happen. I think Vinny as center and Gagner besides is a good idea but im not so sure about Umberger on that line.. we could use a player with more grit there I think, Umbie is too soft in my book. 

Oh, pirates yes they rob I - sold I to the merchant ship
Minutes after they took I - from the bottomless pit

But my hands are made strong - by the hands of the almighty

We forward in this generation - triumphantly

Won't you help to sing - these songs of freedom
'CAUSE ALL I EVER HAVE

It's a nice story, but I just don't see the place where this line fits into the team's composition at this point

I certainly don't want that as my third line ("shutdown center Vincent Lecavalier") and I can't see it as my second line, either (where does Simmonds play???).

They may find that redemption, but it may be more like the nickle you get back when turning in a soda can.

I think the trio can play well together. They have the right (diminishing) skills to make it work. I agree, though, that I wouldn't want them as my second line. If they are a sheltered third line, they might do okay. Something like this?

Raffl-Giroux-Voracek

Schenn-Couturier-Simmonds

Gagner-Vinny-Umberger

Read-White-Bellemare

I don't think that's a bad lineup. And Couturier would be your shutdown line, not Lecavalier. I thought you were joking when you suggested Vinny would play on a shutdown line.

And Couturier would be your shutdown line, not Lecavalier. I thought you were joking when you suggested Vinny would play on a shutdown line.

Well, I was...

So under your scenario, the second line is playing the role of the third line and your third line is then "sheltered" exactly... how?

I have an idea - put out four lines that doesn't include one that needs to be "sheltered"

I think these line would be pretty solid for this year....

Raffl-Giroux-Voracek

Read-Couturier-Schenn

Gagner-Vinny(Coming Soon: Laughton)-Simmonds

VV/Umberger-White-Bellemare

I like these lines and think there's a strike of balance.

I don't think you're too far off. Might see Simmonds/Schenn swapped.

You know, I just finished the first period of the Rags game, and one thing became evident very early. Gagner is a gifted passer. He is one of those guys (like Giroux in a way) that does not aim, they just kinda wish it there and it happens. *IF* they decided to put Gagner on the LW of G and V.....he could turn into a 60-65 pt guy....and that lines ability to control the puck play would be just sick to witness. I thought Gagner was a nice addition when it happened, the first period just clinched what I was already thinking....this could be one of the better "throw in's" in recent Flyer history.

You know, I just finished the first period of the Rags game, and one thing became evident very early. Gagner is a gifted passer. He is one of those guys (like Giroux in a way) that does not aim, they just kinda wish it there and it happens. *IF* they decided to put Gagner on the LW of G and V.....he could turn into a 60-65 pt guy....and that lines ability to control the puck play would be just sick to witness. I thought Gagner was a nice addition when it happened, the first period just clinched what I was already thinking....this could be one of the better "throw in's" in recent Flyer history.

I don't like the idea of putting those three together. That top line needs a shooter, not another pass first guy. Gagner might be better on Couturier's line, with say Simmonds on the right. Or even VLCs, he still has a good shot. But having another good passer should help secondary scoring.

@AJgoal  I'm hoping that Hakstol forces G to shoot more this year. As we know, he has a pass first mentality, but he is one of our more accurate shooters, he needs to let it rip more often, same with Vorachek. I was hoping Gagner on that line would force the other two to shoot more, which would be to the Flyers advantage.

I don't think you're too far off. Might see Simmonds/Schenn swapped.

The reason I prefer Schenn is because he seemed to shine on that line last year, and I had even posted months before it happened that I think Schenn would benefit on Coots line because of the makeup of that line, and when they finally put him on that line towards the end, he was very productive. I think Simmer would be the beneficiary of Vinnys shot on net, since his shots are usually on goal, they either go in or he leaves change for his team mates to deposit it in, which is what Simmonds is quick wit it. He would be solid with Coots, but I believe Schenn would be better off their as a team line because I dont think Schenn would be put in a better position to succeed on another bounced line. Simmer would add more jam on Gagner and Vinnys line, more so than Umby. He would improve that line to make it a viable scoring line. Gagner as the play/time maker, Vinny as a shooter and Simmer as a finisher/keep it(alive) goinger.

I think Coach Hakker wants every line to play a defensive shut down role and not just one line. Every line needs to be trying to skate without the puck/back check themselves, back to getting the puck away from the opponent. If they buy into his system in effect every line becomes a checking line as well as every line becomes a scoring line.

Anyone else thought Laughton looked a bit lost out there?

I would not use the word lost, but he did look tentative at times, like he was worried about making a major mistake. I thought he played with tenacity and got a nice forecheck going. I'd give his game a B- or a straight up B.....his dogged pursuit of the puck lead to the 2nd goal.

he did look tentative at times, like he was worried about making a major mistake.

He needs time to be comfortable in his own skin at the pro level. He got whalloped in his first stint with the team and then beaten badly in his "revenge" fight.

And now he's got brand new head coaches at both levels.

Let him get some time and experience with things going his way in Allentown and we can see what we have with him. I think he's got a good "hockey head" - just needs time.

I would not use the word lost, but he did look tentative at times, like he was worried about making a major mistake. I thought he played with tenacity and got a nice forecheck going. I'd give his game a B- or a straight up B.....his dogged pursuit of the puck lead to the 2nd goal.

agree jammer.... "lost" may have come through as a bit harsh which is not what I was intending.   The kid hustles when on the ice....  I hope he honestly gets a shot this year to play with the big club.  I do think he is ready but again the numbers game is not on his side.  

Archived