Preseason Game 4 - Isles at Flyers

brelic

Just a few thoughts from last night.

I was impressed with Neuvirth. He made a number of key saves and looked calm and poised in goal. He will be a real stabilizing backup.

Ghost scored another goal - a one-time rocket from the point. He also lost a bunch of battles for the puck in his own zone and turned over the puck. I would love to have him on the Flyers from the get-go, but it probably makes sense for him to spend 15-20 games in LV to round out his game. But, damn, he's fun to watch.

Del Zotto had a terrible game, I thought. I hope it's just rust. Yeesh.

Vinny played 11:42. Only Cousins had less TOI.

I thought Gudas had a nice game too. First time I've seen him play - 1 assist, +1, 20:55 of TOI including a team him 6:33 on the PK, and 5 hits. Bye bye Luke Schenn. Gudas does what you do better and cheaper.

Brayden had a strong game. Scored a beauty of a goal and was noticeable in the offensive zone. That's good for him and the Flyers.

@brelic  I've got a queston, how in the holy did you watch it?  From all accounts, there was no tv coverage, not even friggin highlights. I heard that Ghost played the most minutes and looked impressive. First ever Flyer game for Radko.

If the Flyers as a team are slightly improved, then having a respectable back up like Neuvirth could be the thing that gets them over the hump and into the playoffs. Way to many times the Flyers lost back to backs cause Emery was less than steller. Neuvirth is a nice improvement at the back up spot.

The game that never was??   ha ha.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2015/9/22/9370907/the-flyers-lost-a-preseason-game-in-brooklyn-but-nobody-saw-it-so-it

@brelic  I've got a queston, how in the holy did you watch it?  From all accounts, there was no tv coverage, not even friggin highlights. I heard that Ghost played the most minutes and looked impressive. First ever Flyer game for Radko.

If the Flyers as a team are slightly improved, then having a respectable back up like Neuvirth could be the thing that gets them over the hump and into the playoffs. Way to many times the Flyers lost back to backs cause Emery was less than steller. Neuvirth is a nice improvement at the back up spot.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2015/9/22/9370907/the-flyers-lost-a-preseason-game-in-brooklyn-but-nobody-saw-it-so-it

I watched on firstrowsports.eu. Every preseason game has been there so far (except Brooklyn).

The biggest difference so far that I've noticed is the defense. Guys like Ghost and Medvedev make some defensive miscues, but the added speed, mobility, and puck movement makes a world of difference. I'm confident they can work on the defensive side of the game and tighten that up.

Even Gudas, who is supposedly the slow guy back there, looks faster than Luke. 

Of course, they were playing a B squad last night, so take it with a grain of salt, lol. 

The game that never was??

I know.

Travis Hughes ✔ @TravisSBN
I don’t really understand why NHL teams can’t/don't live stream every preseason game free on their websites. It’s not hard.

It's like they would rather pretend it didn't even exist than give the fans something for free...it's really sad.

Guys like Ghost and Medvedev make some defensive miscues

It's why i was wondering how a stay at home Dman like Gudas would look skating with MDV.

I don't think two offensive Dmen should be skating together like MDZ and MDV the offense should be spread out.

But the problem is the Flyers only have one stay at home guy good enough to be skating in the top 4 i think and it is Gudas.

But really he should be no higher than the 2nd pair. Schultz can't do it because he he is a 5th 6th guy really. Flyers really need more guys who are good in their end which they are short of. 

I think that's the plan with guys like Hagg and Morin eventually. So we might have to accept a year or two of growing pains.

Agree because they have enough "offensive guys" Streit, MDZ, MDV and you throw Ghost in there that is 4 guys who are good at jumping up in the play.

The Flyers blueline needs guys to help plays with these guys to stay at home so to speak and shut down the rush and clear the porch.

Gudas is one of those guys Luke fits that mold sort of but most of us agree that he is on his way out if for no other reason than his foot speed he is a younger version of GrossmanN.

So Morin and Hagg and Alt all can compliment this blueline when Hextall finds room.

@brelic  I've got a queston, how in the holy did you watch it?  From all accounts, there was no tv coverage, not even friggin highlights.

I got lucky getting the Flyers' feed on MSG+ or MSG2, one of those, the Madison Square Garden network. They carry the Rags, Devils and Isles during the season. But I never imagined they would let an out-of-town broadcast over their air. A nice change even though I like Howie Rose (and I can endure Butch Goring).

I didn't see the defensive lapses / lost battles from Ghost that Brel mentioned but I only saw about 1/2 the game. BSchenn and Chris Conner were the best players on the ice imho and I agree Neuvirth looked focused and played well. He wasn't exactly challenged all the much but when called upon he shut the door and gobbled up loose pucks. He's quicker (reaction time) than I remember.

Archived