A Couple of Phantoms' Observations

Poconono

Last night we got our first look at the 2015-16 Phantoms at the PPL Center in Allentown.  The bad news is "another home game, another loss", but there was more than a few positives to point out:

Coach Gordon is no Terry Murray...and that is really really good.  All night long I could hear him actually coaching his players.  He praised, cajoled and strategized with them throughout the game.  I could hear him yelling out line changes and pairings throughout the evening.  He looked pissed half the time, but after the game his post-game interview was very supportive and positive.  The guy has some personality. I still don't get why Riley Cote is the one and only assistant coach.  At least hire someone to work with the defensemen.

Sam Morin is immense.  His play was pretty inconsistent, but you can see that the guy has some serious speed for a giant and he used his long reach a couple of times to cover up his or his teammates' faux pas.  He didn't hit much, but neither did anyone else except Rosehill.  It was nice to see Stolarz skate over to the bench after one Morin giveaway and calmly offer some advice.

There were a helluva lot of guys I never heard of in uniform for the Phantoms last night and many familiar faces missing.  Based on where they finished last year no one is gonna miss guys like Fyten, Gordon, Stortini, Akeson, Powe or Hextall too much.  The new names like Parks, Brent, Padakin, Palushaj and Sundher didn't especiallyu stand out, but the team as a whole looked really really quick, especially in the first two periods.  But like the big time parent club they seemed to run out of jump once the third period started.

Stolarz looked fabulous for the first two periods and was still pretty darn good, just not perfect, in the third.  He looked very athletic and more intuitive when Hartford continually tried back door passes.  He's still a longshot prospect but he did look impressive last night.  Just like he looked for the first half of last season.

Martel is a really exceptional skater.   Numerous times he broke through the defense due to his speed and tiny size, but he seems to have no shot to speak of.  The few times he didn't opt to make an off target pass, his shots were easily blocked.  He might still become a good AHLer, but he needs more than just his speed to get him to the Big Show.

And of course Gostisbehere alone is worth the price of admission.  I wasn't totally buying into the hype on this guy believing he was just too small and not strong enough for the NHL, but last night he looked much bigger and far more confident.  There isn't a second he isn't looking to take a shot on goal.  Flyer fans will love him simply because he will not accept two passes back to the point without firing off a shot.  They may coach that out of him because so many were blocked, but the ones that got through were beauties.  Leier scored his goal tipping in one of Ghost's cannon shots.   He is also quick to head up ice on the rush, often leading it into the zone.  And he's fast enough to get back and cover up.  As a Phantoms' fan I'm gonna enjoy the half dozen games he might get in Allentown before being called up to the big team.

I like Rosehill because he's a character, but what purpose does he and Mather really have in today's game?  At least they offer some entertainment value despite the inevitable numerous short-handed situations they will put their team into.  Flyer tough guys don't seem to learn when and how to instigate and got away with it.  They should watch Steve Ott videos.

Coach Gordon is no Terry Murray...and that is really really good.  All night long I could hear him actually coaching his players.  He praised, cajoled and strategized with them throughout the game.  I could hear him yelling out line changes and pairings throughout the evening.  He looked pissed half the time, but after the game his post-game interview was very supportive and positive.  The guy has some personality. I still don't get why Riley Cote is the one and only assistant coach.  At least hire someone to work with the defensemen.

Thanks for taking the time to fill us fans in. I'm glad they sound like they have a coach now. He has some talent to work with now. I think it will take time to get this ship headed in the right direction same a s the BIG club....there will be some bumps and bruises along the way some know that(i am one) others expect immediate positive results...i guess it takes all kinds.

I wish i lived closer to take in some games but it's not the case stuck down south here. I just hope they can get things fixed in time to get some playoff experience it has been awhile for the club and they need it.

If anyone is interested, there are still tickets available for tonight's pre-season game at 5 pm against the lil Penguins.  10 bucks at the door.

What are your thought on Alt?

He is a guy who should be the #1 call up considering how long he has been in the system he has the size and is suppose to be a good skater plus a right hand shot which is sorely needed.

Yet we never hear much ever on him?

Is he looking like a bust or just career AHLer???

Thanks.

I only saw Alt play one game.  He was pretty much invisible.  And that's good....I think.  A stay-at-home defensemen shouldn't really stand out.  Based on what I've seen from him last year and a couple of games in Adirondack (loved driving up there for a weekend of games) I don't think he's ever gonna be a full time NHLer.  Manning spent years in the minors before his promotion but he was an AHL all-star twice.  Alt also has injury issues.  He hasn't panned out.

Cousins played both nights.  He was number one star against Scranton/WB.  He was one of the best players on the ice both nights and plays very nicely with Martel.  That may be a lethal combination as the season goes on.  One thing I've noticed about Cousins is that he is at his best when he is chirping at the other team.  I can't quite hear what he's saying but he has a way of annoying the entire bench of the opposition.  And he does a good job of staying out of the box for the most part. Kind of a Clarke/Linseman agitator who lets someone else settle the disputes he starts.

Martel should've been the first star in that Penguins game.  Coach Gordon was just as verbal and animated in that second contest as he was on Saturday night.  I love seeing a coach with some personality.  I hope he gets some help.  Maybe Old MacDonald can help tutor guys like Hagg, Ghost and Morin.  At least he knows about blocking shots and playing some D.  The youngsters can ignore his teachings regarding break-out passes and getting out of the defensive zone.

Speaking of which, the Phantoms seem to want to rely on the long bomb.  So often Hagg or Ghost fired the puck waaaay up the ice to try to spring Martel, Bardreau or Cousins.  It was keeping the Pens guessing for the first two periods.  But once again, the Phantoms seemed to fold a bit in the third.  A late goal on a Penguin giveaway by Martel iced the win.

No matter who Scranton has in their lineup you end up hating the entire team by the end of the game.  The Phantoms organization tries to portray Hershey as The Rival, but the Pens are just so flipping annoying.  Their roster is loaded with jackasses.  Unfortunately. they are some pretty talented jackasses.

@Poconono  That is the one thing with Martel, he is super fast and super gifted, but what Martel giveth in the O zone, he takes away in the D zone....he will have to improve in  that area before the Flyers ever seriously consider him as a call up. Cousins has always chirped, and the Ken Linesmen reference was a nice comparison....he quite often reminded me of the rat when watching him.

Archived