The "Crow or Gripe About Your Fantasy Team" Thread: 2015-16 Edition

TropicalFruitGirl26

Congrats @AJgoal

I knew it was gonna be close.  Sadly I only 3 players going yesterday to your 6 or 7.  I'm having a rough patch here recently.  My players have gone cold and it seems I am always matched up against GM's who have hot players.  Fortunately I really did not lose too much ground as some of the other top teams also lost.

EDIT:  At least i broke my 2 game losing streak over in the Bantam A League.  Finally cracking the 8th and final playoff spot.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bak's team has been incredibly hot.

Mine has been steady, but faltered a bit this week to Polaris and the streaking Crosby/Letang combo.

Insult to injury is, I traded him Zibanejad this week who sat on my bench for Suter, and Zibby had a nice 5.7 per game week :(

1 hour ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Insult to injury is, I traded him Zibanejad this week who sat on my bench for Suter, and Zibby had a nice 5.7 per game week

Doesn't that always seem to happen.   :unsure[1]:  Actually I think we have great parity in our league.  Many knowledgeable GM's who have assembled pretty good teams.  It basically comes down to who is hot or not and players on IR.  Look at poor Dave, he started out red hot and now Price has been on IR for what seems to forever.  Look at yourself, you have both Carlson and Boychuck out on IR and I now have Allen who is on IR for an undetermined number of weeks. 

The reason this league is so competitive is that we have GM's who actually do research to make their teams better.  Props to @hf101 for picking up Ghost when Streit weent out.  He has performed above expectations. Look at your own team.  You only have 7 players remaining who you drafted.  That means you are not afraid of change and you do your homework.  You have made 40 moves so far this year.  Both HF and myself are in 2nd with 27 moves made.  Respectively all 3 have of have very good teams near the top. 

Polaris has made a nice run too.  He is 7-2 in the last 9 games.  I guess what I am trying to say is that this league is so wide open right now.  With all that being said..all I can say is..."Can some of my players get their collective heads out of their rear and start scoring again!!!" :P

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

Actually I think we have great parity in our league. 

This is the goal.  It is also designed to be competitive as only the top 6 will remain in the "All Star League next year.  If we can get enough other managers next year to build a 2nd bantam league then the bottom 6 are relegated to between the two Bantam Leagues.  They would then need to finish in the top 3 to move back into the All Star League the following year.

Gripe:

Due to today's postponed Anaheim-Washington game, I have NO players going for me today!

However....

Crow:

I DID start today with a 36+ point lead on my opponent...........oh, and my opponent? HJ...who is skating just 4 Buffalo Sabres, and one St. Louis Blues player (Backes) against me tonight. I should be fine.... :rolleyes:

I am buggered this matchup.

The combination of Couturier's injury with Carlson's injury and him not coming back this past week as advertized, along with Dubnyk's lack of wins and games, Lucic's suspension and Backstrom being snowed out of 2 games has left me in a 19 point deficit with 2 days to go.

My opponent has 15 more mangames to my 12(And 2 of those 12 might not play, (Carlson + Couturier)

I need a miracle.

On the bright side, I got a Miracle in NAHANA as Seguin is now part of my keeper team for the Price of Bishop+ Burns

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

LOL  Laugh it up, funny boy!

Well, your initial asking Price was Tavares + Burns + Bishop, so I had all but given up, despite my probing counteroffers. lol.

When your trade offer woke me up last night, I literally was worried I was so tired I was reading it wrong as the cobwebs cleared. It was a very reasonable trade.

One of the top 5 goalies and the top scoring Defensemen(Karlsson is better for pure points, but scores less goals, PPP and PIM's) for one of the top 3 forwards.

1 minute ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Well, your initial asking Price was Tavares + Burns + Bishop, so I had all but given up, despite my probing counteroffers. lol.

When your trade offer woke me up last night, I literally was worried I was so tired I was reading it wrong as the cobwebs cleared. It was a very reasonable trade.

One of the top 5 goalies and the top scoring Defensemen(Karlsson is better for pure points, but scores less goals, PPP and PIM's) for one of the top 3 forwards.

Yeah, like I said in the other thread, you got the best player (my definition of winning a trade) but I think it's pretty good on both sides.   My two trades combined last night flipped

Seguin, Faulk, Stone, Miller

for

Burns, Kadri, Perry, Bishop.

I like Faulk and think I'll likely regret that eventually, and of course Seguin.  But Faulk has fallen off some.

I'm good and you have a stud for a keeper.

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, like I said in the other thread, you got the best player (my definition of winning a trade) but I think it's pretty good on both sides.   My two trades combined last night flipped

Seguin, Faulk, Stone, Miller

for

Burns, Kadri, Perry, Bishop.

I like Faulk and think I'll likely regret that eventually, and of course Seguin.  But Faulk has fallen off some.

I'm good and you have a stud for a keeper.

Trust me when I say Burns will make you miss Faulk less lol.

17 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Suter is so low in value in this league that he was not one of my keepers last year.

That alone says something LOL

Yeah, I mean, he's sufficient as the 3rd dman.  But Burns, Sabban, Faulk would have been cool.

I picked him because that's what was available when I got around to picking defenesmen in the draft, but I expected little.  He's honestly been better than what I was thinking at the time.  But really only 3rd dman.

• 2 weeks later...

Crow. My NAHANA team is doing good this week. McDavid's return has sparked the entire Oilers team. Talbot had good numbers even before the return everywhere but in the win column and now has a few wins(nice to have a choice between Hellebuyck/Talbot going into next year). Draisaitl/Hall line scoring again now that teams can't put their eggs into 1 basket and focus solely on them. Tavares is a ppg in his last 7 games. Stone snapped his 8 game pointless streak with 2 goals and an assist. Seguin had a 2 goal game but is still a bit chilly by his standards.

Gripe: I still don't have a prayer to make the playoffs. Going 8 consecutive weeks with a tie being the best to show for it vs another rebuilding team before getting a win sealed my fate this year. I kinda knew it would be like that playing 7 rookies, but being a competitive guy, it still hurts lol. I did like the 3 week wins against 3 top teams in the middle there to give me some hope and drive some players values up. Then Polaris snapped me back to earth.

@Polaris922

Outlook: Will be selling for next year for sure. If Stone keeps this up he will have some value for a 2nd(7th) round pick for a 6th(12th). If more goalie injuries occur, one of Talbot/Hellebuyck should also be more highly valued because goalies make up 40% of our categories.

Gripe 2: Doc is 18 points ahead of me. I need a HUGE night. Making matters worse, my goalies play against each other tonight. So hopefully a 1 goal game with Suter making the one goal for me and Elliott losing despite a 45 save night. Hey Carlson, you are off IR! You can start blasting some PPP any time now! Preferably from Backstrom, not Kuznetsov.

55 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Gripe 2: Doc is 18 points ahead of me. I need a HUGE night. Making matters worse, my goalies play against each other tonight. So hopefully a 1 goal game with Suter making the one goal for me and Elliott losing despite a 45 save night. Hey Carlson, you are off IR! You can start blasting some PPP any time now! Preferably from Backstrom, not Kuznetsov.

Like I said before...18 points still is not an insurmountable deficit. You should be lucky I benched Klingberg and Draisaitl.   :rolleyes: So far I am leaving 31.7 points on the bench. :growl:

I have Anderson against the Laffs and Sir Henry against the Flyers. (What a conundrum...who do I root for!)  And NO! I don't need Carson scoring! ... I need Kuznetsov getting all the points he wants! :D

PS... I'm also wishing that Suter gets blanked in a high scoring game..something to the tune of Blues 6 Wild 5 and Taransenko gets a Hattie. (I have him in he Bantam A League.:biggrin:)

33 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Like I said before...18 points still is not an insurmountable deficit. You should be lucky I benched Klingberg and Draisaitl.   :rolleyes: So far I am leaving 31.7 points on the bench. :growl:

I have Anderson against the Laffs and Sir Henry against the Flyers. (What a conundrum...who do I root for!)  And NO! I don't need Carson scoring! ... I need Kuznetsov getting all the points he wants! :D

PS... I'm also wishing that Suter gets blanked in a high scoring game..something to the tune of Blues 6 Wild 5 and Taransenko gets a Hattie. (I have him in he Bantam A League.:biggrin:)

Heh. I had been ready to bench Dubnyk for Gibson, and in retrospect I should have since Dubnyk in 2 games has 2 points and Gibson has near 8 in 1 game. Lucic vs Hertl was an agonizing choice, but since Lucic played 2 games and Hertl 3 it seemed right. Leaving Lucic's 9 points on the bench for Hertl's 2 might haunt me too lol. At this juncture, Galchenyuk is not even taking faceoffs anymore, so he should have been benched too for Coyle.

BLARG

But yeah, I was beyond surprised to see you bench those two. When it comes down to it, you would have had to chose between benching Seguin, Kuznetsov, or Mackinnon, so Draisaitl was a much harder choice and I would have done the same since he was a bit cold. McDavid's return changes everything.

Nick Holden over Klingberg tho.....haha

But yeah, I was beyond surprised to see you bench those two

Nick Holden over Klingberg tho.....haha

I called it a gut instinct...Klingberg and the Stars in general had been struggling. (see Seguin, Tyler)  So I rolled the dice and well...lets just call it an EPIC fail on my part due to a massive brain freeze.  I usually make 1 or 2 or 3 dumb moves through the course of a year.....well I think this blunder can count as one of them.  You can thank me later for making this week closer than what I was hoping for. :cool[1]:  Trust me..I wont make the same mistake again.

As far as Draisaitl...yeah that was a much tougher choice.  I'm not sitting Kuznetsov, and one just keeps hoping Benn and Seguin find that early season magic again.  So really it came down to benching MacKinnon over Draisaitl.....tough tough choice and I took MacKinnon.  With McJesus (C) now back in the lineup, that takes some of the pressure off Draisaitl and hopefully he is going to have a stellar second half.  Speaking of McDavid, I picked up Eberle (whom I was surprised was available in the Bantam A League) hoping their combination pays off in very good dividends.

4 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

I called it a gut instinct...Klingberg and the Stars in general had been struggling. (see Seguin, Tyler)  So I rolled the dice and well...lets just call it an EPIC fail on my part due to a massive brain freeze.  I usually make 1 or 2 or 3 dumb moves through the course of a year.....well I think this blunder can count as one of them.  You can thank me later for making this week closer than what I was hoping for. :cool[1]:  Trust me..I wont make the same mistake again.

As far as Draisaitl...yeah that was a much tougher choice.  I'm not sitting Kuznetsov, and one just keeps hoping Benn and Seguin find that early season magic again.  So really it came down to benching MacKinnon over Draisaitl.....tough tough choice and I took MacKinnon.  With McJesus (C) now back in the lineup, that takes some of the pressure off Draisaitl and hopefully he is going to have a stellar second half.  Speaking of McDavid, I picked up Eberle (whom I was surprised was available in the Bantam A League) hoping their combination pays off in very good dividends.

I have this strange feeling Eberle might get traded.

1 minute ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I have this strange feeling Eberle might get traded.

That would certainly make things interesting especially if he goes to a team and can play top line minutes and top PP time.  I guess we are in wait and see mode.

@pilldoc

I was the last GM to have Eberle in Bantam before you got him.

I thought I was doing good getting ahold of him, but during his time on my team, he was extremely cold.

Of course, I drop him, and he gets hot again....lol.

He was too inconsistent even before all that though, and if I recall, that's how I ended up going with Ryan Spooner as a winger (after a few tryouts of different players there), and I can honestly say I have been happy with Spooners production.

I dropped Ryan once David Krejci got healthy again (Spooner simply was a victim of no roster spots on my team), but since Jason Spezza went down this week with injury, I re-added Spooner once again.

As for Eberle, nice pickup, since McDavid is back and Talbot is playing well, he may have pressured eased off of him and maybe he continues his good play.

And if rumors of his trade are true, he may even be sparked moving to a different environment.

Guy IS talented....just getting things done night in, night out has always seemed to be his problem.

Hopefully he works out for you now.

Trading Quick to Yave may end up being my big blunder trade because of the throw in. Dubnyk immediately started pooping the bed and Smith is on IR. Also, Kesler the throw in I did not want to part with heated up for him. GRRRRRRRR. Kesler on a bad day put up 4 points per game, now he is putting up like 8. Making matters worse, Boudreau finally got off the Andersen hate train and started playing him, despite Gibson playing very well so I am losing goalie points.

Trading Zibanejad to Polaris for Suter also sucks. Wild on a big losing streak and Turris gets injured, meaning Zibby gets all the faceoff and PP time.

So I am in 4th with Yave tied with 10-7-0 behind Doc, HF and JR.

Behind Yave and I at 9-8-0 are Bakane and Inside edge, and close behind is Polaris with 8-9-0 with the pens heating up after spending most of the time on the bottom.

I have a murderers row coming up. After this week, JR and then HF, then Bakane and Yave. 4 of the top teams to end the season. Ugh

Staying in the top 6 is going to be a dogfight. Need these players to have big games.

Edit:

@hf101

How do we decide which 6 teams stay for all star next year? In principle, it sounds easy to take the top 6 teams. But what if the team that sneaks into the playoffs at 8 wins it all? What if team 7 makes the finals? Since 4 teams are eliminated in the first round, I want to wrap my head around it

49 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

@hf101

How do we decide which 6 teams stay for all star next year? In principle, it sounds easy to take the top 6 teams. But what if the team that sneaks into the playoffs at 8 wins it all? What if team 7 makes the finals? Since 4 teams are eliminated in the first round, I want to wrap my head around it

For this year, top 8 teams have a playoff . Top 6 teams are retained in the All Star League after playoffs.   This is the same for Bantam League.  If any of the top 6 Bantam League teams do not continue next season then teams 7-12 as needed from the All Star League will be invited back next season.  Thus basically they are alternates.

Without having the option of looking it up right at the moment, I think the losers of the first round still play in consolation which means you will have to lose two weeks in a row in the playoffs to not make the top 6.  right? @pilldoc

1 minute ago, hf101 said:

For this year, top 8 teams have a playoff . Top 6 teams are retained in the All Star League after playoffs.   This is the same for Bantam League.  If any of the top 6 Bantam League teams do not continue next season then teams 7-12 as needed from the All Star League will be invited back next season.  Thus basically they are alternates.

Without having the option of looking it up right at the moment, I think the losers of the first round still play in consolation which means you will have to lose two weeks in a row in the playoffs to not make the top 6.  right? @pilldoc

Ahhh. Consolation bracket would make sense.

@hf101

@J0e Th0rnton

You are correct...there is a consolation bracket.  So yes...if you lose 2 in a row during the top 8 playoffs, you will be seeded #7 and #8 and thus would not be top 6 for next years All Star League.  There are also playoffs games for the bottom 4 teams who do not make the playoffs to determine seeds #9 thru #12.

WINNER'S BRACKET
ROUND 1 (MAR 14 - 20) ROUND 2 (MAR 21 - 27) ROUND 3 (MAR 28 - APR 3)
  TOT
#8 Polaris' Puckers 0
#1 Slick Sticks hf101 0
Full Box Score | Quick Box Score
  TOT
TBD -
TBD -
  TOT
TBD -
TBD -
  TOT
#5 Putting on the Foil 0
#4 Halifax Sharknado 0
  TOT
#6 NYC Bakanekimiwa 0
#3 Ded Flatbird pilldoc 0
  TOT
TBD -
TBD -
  TOT
#7 Inside Edge Hockey News 0
#2 Ewing Oilers JR Ewing 0
  WINNER'S CONSOLATION LADDER
ROUND 2 (MAR 21 - 27) ROUND 3 (MAR 28 - APR 3)

TOT
TBD -
TBD -
  TOT
TBD -
TBD -
  TOT
TBD -
TBD -
  TOT
TBD -
TBD -
  TOT
TBD -
TBD -
CONSOLATION LADDER
ROUND 1 (MAR 14 - 20) ROUND 2 (MAR 21 - 27) ROUND 3 (MAR 28 - APR 3)
GmC1 - W to GmC3, L to GmC4 TOT
#10 The Whiskey Sticks 0
#9 Team Aziz 0
GmC3 - W to GmC5, L to GmC6 TOT
TBD -
TBD -
GmC5 TOT
TBD -
TBD -
GmC2 - W to GmC3, L to GmC4 TOT
#12 YourWife'sADyke EDI-Flyer 0
#11 Team Dunlop 0
GmC4 - W to GmC5, L to GmC6 TOT
TBD -
TBD -
GmC6 TOT
TBD -
TBD -

GRIPE: Just once can I be matched up against someone who does NOT have a career night against me.   Congrats to @JR Ewing for having a great night against me. 71 points thanks in part to both Eberle and Bergeron having career nights.  Ugh...just once I would like not to be in a dog fight.  Seriously...good job JR!

CROW:  At least I had Eberle in the Bantam League!  (3G, A and a +4)

Archived