What It Feels Like Losing to the Coyotes

klindsey

getzlaf_050614_672.jpg

All this hype. Stanley Cup favorites. Loaded roster. All that, blah...blah...blah. As a new hockey fan, I latched onto the Ducks last season because I just flat out liked the team. They were physical, and Cory Perry has turned into one of my favorite players to watch.

Fast forward to last night. I know the Coyotes are supposed to be bad. @ScottM and I have laughed at their mediocrity many times. We have laughed at the refusal to move the irrelevant franchise. 

Until last night..........

I don't get to see much hockey, but I do have my trusty apps to keep up with the action. Of course, we were 0-2, but hey, the Coyotes were coming to town! Insta-win, baby! Yea, about that. 

My app buzzed that the game had started, so I kept it on in the background while I played some NHL 2K. Within minutes, my app buzzed......Arizona score. Oh well, It's still the Coyotes, right? Back to 2K. A few minutes later........buzz....Arizona goal. That danged Duclair! A rookie no less!

It was then I knew this was going to be bad....buzz. Sigh...another Coyote goal. This time Max Domi. We were being skulldragged by the freaking Coyotes. But it wouldn't end there. 

The 2nd period starts. "Here comes our rally!" I thought. We will come back on these wild Coyotes. "Buzz........................"  Anthony Duclair and your blasted hat trick! 

Anyway, 4-0 loss to the blasted Coyotes. The season is young, but it sure stings. I'm almost glad it stings, because I know I'm becoming more passionate about the NHL. That can't be bad, right? Even if it took the Coyotes embarrassing us lol.  

image.png

Hockey isn't football, and bad teams beat good ones every night.

Generalization:

There's about 20 games that you will win no matter what.

There's about 20 games that you will lose not matter what.

It's the other 40ish games that show the good hockey clubs from the bad.

The Ducks should be somewhere near the top at the end of the year, and the Coyotes will be far behind.

Hockey isn't football

So true, but I find it interesting how the long snapper in football is pretty much exactly like a center in hockey. Like exactly.

[sorry inside joke for the old Silly.com gang]

Hockey isn't football, and bad teams beat good ones every night.

Generalization:

There's about 20 games that you will win no matter what.

There's about 20 games that you will lose not matter what.

It's the other 40ish games that show the good hockey clubs from the bad.

The Ducks should be somewhere near the top at the end of the year, and the Coyotes will be far behind.

Oh I know. I just had to rant because of the drubbing we lost last night. Between the Ducks losing to the Coyotes and St. Louis Cardinals losing to the Cubs it's been a bad sports week for me haha.

Oh I know. I just had to rant because of the drubbing we lost last night. Between the Ducks losing to the Coyotes and St. Louis Cardinals losing to the Cubs it's been a bad sports week for me haha.

Aside from one glorious late spring/early summer in 2006, it's been a rough 25 years for me as an Oilers fan.     lol

The first 10 years were pretty easy, mind you, other than Peter Pocklington selling off the player that this young fan idolized.   :(

The Coyotes actually have a few decent players, as does every team. Ekman-Larsson is a top defence man, and as shown, Duclair and Domi can be a great offensive punch. If Mike Smith has a good night in goal, and the rest of the Coyotes play well, anything can happen. Anyone can beat anyone in this league, it's all about who wants the game more, and I guess Arizona just wanted it more than Anaheim did.

@klindsey

Agree with much of the commentary on here....league parity dictates that even the 30th ranked team has a shot against the top ranked team on any given game night.

Hockey, moreso than baseball and even football, IMO, is so driven by emotion, that it is one of those games that it seems players can WILL their way to a victory...and if you have a determined squad all doing the same, even the best team in the league will be hard pressed to beat them.

Right now, I am sure the Coyotes themselves believe THEY can win the Stanley Cup.

And you know what? Nothing wrong with players believing that.

The reality may be quite different, but if I am a fan of a team, I WANT my guys thinking they can win the Cup THIS year.

That all said, I also see your point about the Ducks.

Ducks ARE faves, they SHOULD be.

Based on the past couple seasons and this off season entering 2015-16.

But if I am a Ducks fan, right now, I am not so worried about WHO we are losing to (at this stage, it really doesn't matter whether they are losing games to the Yotes or Hawks), but what does matter is, WHY.

What is the mindset...what is it that players are doing or not doing that is keeping them in the blocks.

Is it a mental thing? Is it chemistry (hard to believe that as much of the team is still the same, particularly on the top lines).

Are there players not pulling their weight? Or is it just a matter of execution and just staying the course till things even themselves out.

I think it may be the last one.

82 games is a LONG way...and at the end of that, if the Ducks don't make the playoffs, then they can be listed as one of the biggest disappointments in quite a while.

But I can't see that happening.

Every team struggles, every team has hot streaks.

If all is right, maybe the Ducks simply are having their struggles at the start, and once they 'turn that corner', they will be fine the rest of the way

If I am an Anaheim fan, I am a bit concerned yes....but still find comfort in the fact that it is just Game 3 of 82.

As long there is no serious underlying problem undermining this team's ability to win games, the 2015-16 Anaheim Ducks should be fine on the balance.

The reality may be quite different, but if I am a fan of a team, I WANT my guys thinking they can win the Cup THIS year.

When the Oilers opened their first camp in 1979 with a bunch of kids and a few vets, they started with a meeting where they set out their goals for the year. There was only one.

To win the Stanley Cup.

They had no business thinking that way, given where they were coming from, but that was the goal every year until Glen Sather left. It's the only goal you SHOULD have.

Archived