Sabres defense getting better fast

Buffalo Rick

RistolainenRESIZED.jpg

This kid named Carlos Colaiacova, is some kind of a surprise.  I mean, WOW.  He is the kid who set up Girgensons game winner in Philly in OT.  He has played very well.  I am sure when Begosian returns, and that should be soon, he could be sent back to Rochester to develope.  I hope not.  I would rather send Mike Weber to the dog house.  But that is not likely.  As for the defense as a whole one reason they are better is RASMUS RISTOLAINEN.  Do not forget that name.  This kid is already at a true NHL level.  He has more ice time than any player that is 22 or younger. He is getting more ice time than most of the Sabres and Bylsma knows he has something special in this kid.  I love him.  He is better than Tyler Myers.  Flat out.  Far smarter with decisions.  Knows what to do and when to do it. And he is not intimidated as one of the dirty Flyer's tried to take out his frustrations on the kid.  It did not work.  Sure he made that one glaring mistake when luckily the Flyers did  not cash in.  Had he done it vs Chicago it would have been in the net.  But he is learning from all of this. When Begosians comes back I am sure he will help.  Fransona and McCabe are also new faces that are doing well.  So it appears the kid may be the one that Begosians may send down to Rochester, but I would rather see Weber go. Gorges may get a deserved game off for that hit that I admit was stupid and late in a game we had pretty much sealed by that time.  No reason for that.  So I have never been a huge fan of Gorges but he has helped with his grit and nasty play.  But he went a bit too far  last night   Bylsma has built a pretty good defense so far

Ya know, @Hockey Junkie , I'd LOVE to read running commentary about how the Buffalo defense is progressing...and from a hardcore fan such as yourself to boot.....but errr, CARLO Colaiacovo is far from "a kid"...he is 32 going on 33 in January, has played on and off in the NHL for about 12 years, has been with 4 teams prior to joining the Sabres (Tor, St. L, Det, Phi), is VERY prone to injury (hence his on and off status and his inability to stick with any one team), and being sent to the AHL 'to develop' is not an option, as what you see is what you get from him.

Meaning, when he is healthy and playing, makes  a solid NHL defenseman.

He is all he is ever going to be as an NHL'er and his main goal for the rest of his career should be simply staying healthy and continuing to play solid hockey for as long as his body holds out.

Other than that, please...keep us informed on the doings of the Buffalo defense.

Now...if they can just get that legit, long term number one goalie to be the crown jewel of that defense.

Linus made a good case in the last game, but we will need to see more.

Ya know, @Hockey Junkie , I'd LOVE to read running commentary about how the Buffalo defense is progressing...and from a hardcore fan such as yourself to boot.....but errr, CARLO Colaiacovo is far from "a kid"...he is 32 going on 33 in January, has played on and off in the NHL for about 12 years, has been with 4 teams prior to joining the Sabres (Tor, St. L, Det, Phi), is VERY prone to injury (hence his on and off status and his inability to stick with any one team), and being sent to the AHL 'to develop' is not an option, as what you see is what you get from him.

Meaning, when he is healthy and playing, makes a solid NHL defenseman.

He is all he is ever going to be as an NHL'er and his main goal for the rest of his career should be simply staying healthy and continuing to play solid hockey for as long as his body holds out.

Other than that, please...keep us informed on the doings of the Buffalo defense.

Now...if they can just get that legit, long term number one goalie to be the crown jewel of that defense.

@TFG- If he wants to call Colaiacivo a kid please let him. At least he was able to make it through a post without mentioning Miller.

Meaning, when he is healthy and playing, makes  a solid NHL defenseman.

Well I somehow had never heard of him.  Maybe its because he was a Flyer.  But I assumed he was up from Rochester.  The flow is pretty fast.  As for Ristolainen I believe I am spot on. 

Well I somehow had never heard of him.  Maybe its because he was a Flyer.  But I assumed he was up from Rochester.  The flow is pretty fast.  As for Ristolainen I believe I am spot on.

He played parts of SIX SEASONS on the other end of the QEW...

it's OK, Tronno fans would like to forget it too

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Colocovia is cleared to play tonight I believe.  Good news.  Begosian must play better.  I know he can.  Of course he has only been back in a few games and maybe the cobwebs are showing.  If he plays up to his potential we can really pick up some needed ground.  I believe that the Sabres can be in the hunt for a low seed if things go well.  They certainly have the talent. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived