LV Phantoms and other Flyers Prospect discussions 2015-2016

pilldoc

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Labarbera 1-4 4.18gaa 855%

Stolarz 3-3 1.86gaa 925%

I know who i'd be going with on a nightly basis.

Just a fun fact - both Mason (3rd round pick) and Neuvirth (2nd round pick) have played in NHL games in every season since they were 20 years old. 

Stolarz is 21, 2nd round pick. And putting up better numbers in the A than either of those guys at the same age. So wouldn't it be safe for him to see some NHL action this year? I'm not saying 20 games. But 3,4,5 games to see what you have. Hell, that's how a lot of these new goaltenders are found, right?

Are Mason and Neuvirth the exceptions? Or are the Flyers overly cautious?

Seriously, they haven't groomed a goalie in 20 years.

Or are the Flyers overly cautious?

Jonathan Quick was  3rd pick too who got some ECHL, AHL and NHL games is his 1st professional season 14 AHL games his 2nd season and then 44 NHL ones and never looked back since.

So to answer your question i guess they are being overly cautious. Let him at least play till there back to back games and then i guess you can put Labarbera in...but he needs to play to develop.

But 3,4,5 games to see what you have. Hell, that's how a lot of these new goaltenders are found, right?

Totally agree. Shelter Stolarz with the easy games in back to backs against teams that have trouble scoring.

Totally agree. Shelter Stolarz with the easy games in back to backs against teams that have trouble scoring.

So you want the Flyers to play Stolarz in a game against....the Flyers? Let's face it, our team does not do a good job of sheltering their goalie to give them an easy game, especially in back-to-back scenarios. I don't want Stalarz near this team at all right now.

Remember what happened to Cal Heeter? I remember before that guy had even played an NHL game, people on another board (full of idiots) were saying this guy should be given the back-up position in 14-15. He finally got to play a game at the end of the 13-14 season and got lit up, which literally ended any chance of him playing in the NHL again. Not saying that will happen to Stolarz, but I wouldn't get too excited with how he's played so far for the Phantoms.

Unless we get some injuries later on in the season and we are completely out of the playoff race, I can't see them calling up Stolarz to play, especially if the Phantoms are in the playoff hunt. There's really no sense in doing so since he won't be battling for a spot on the roster for at least another season.

No player's development, especially a goalie, has ever been hurt for staying in the AHL for "too long"

@RJ8812   I don't see the harm in having Stolarz get his feet wet at the NHL level. Thing is, yeah this team is a mess....BUT, realistically, even if you fast forward to next year, the defense will still be comprised of journeymen and young inexperienced kids. Hell, you could make an argument that even 2 seasons from now, the defense will still be a total work in progress. If you want to block Stolarz due to sub par play, he could be stuck with the Phantoms till 2018. Inevitably, there will be a baptism by fire. Having him stay in the AHL until the Flyers defense is respectable, well...he might be 24 when this mess is cleaned up, which would be burning years off his career, I don't see how that helps him either.

I don't know if Cal Heeter was permanently damaged by his late season call up....his skill level was never gonna cut it at the NHL level, regardless of how and when he was summoned.

I don't know if Cal Heeter was permanently damaged by his late season call up....his skill level was never gonna cut it at the NHL level, regardless of how and when he was summoned.

Yes he was never that good in the 1st place. Wasn't he just another scrap heap undrafted free agent signing. Garbage pretty much except toughfighter83 loved him.

I see Labarbera is in net again today for the Phantoms. And has already given up the complementary goal in the 1st period.

See just like playing Stolarz this weekend is just ass backwards. The played Labarbera on friday night gave Stolarz the start saturday and Labarbera is back in net today.

I would have did the opposite. Let Labarbera play the in between game. This club has zero insight on how to develop a damn goalie.

Labarbera meets his 4 GA quota for todays game 

Sweet got to stay consistent. ;)

Never know when the Flyers may need you. Nothing to be gained by playing the better goaltender. I think Phantoms like missing the playoffs. *insert ninja*

Labarbera meets his 4 GA quota for todays game 

Nice to see last years Phantom 1st line RW sniper lit them up...oh you know the X-NHL known as Stortini...

...man see Labarbera isn't even getting beat by legit talent...Zach Friggin Stortini lawd help them....SMFH!!!! :(

@OccamsRazor  How sad is this crap, we have somewhere around 2-5 future Flyers on the Phantoms. By starting Laleaky they are getting the kids accustomed to losing....the exact opposite of what they are supposed to be doing in the AHL.

I don't know what the f**k is going on down there but doesn't look like Gordon is any better than Murray with his lineups...

...but come on Hexy this is a reflection of you. So you say you want to hold onto youth...bravo...but it seems he has a shitty plan on bow develop said youth...SMFH!!!!

@hf101  THANKS for posting that!!   OK...this kid can skate also???  He has to be better than one of our 12 forwards!  Can't wait to see this kids debut. It's been a while since I've been so excited to see an impact rook like this....if we must lose, let's at least shed some blood!!

Nice update on our prospects.

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/future-flyers-report-radel-fazleev-standing-out-calgary

In particular, Fazleev may end up being a bit of a steal if he can continue his development curve.

Radel Fazleev, LW, Calgary Hitmen
The 19-year-old Russian is slowly emerging as Calgary’s top offensive threat. In four games for the Hitmen last week, Fazleev recorded three goals and two assists to jump past Sanheim for the team lead in points. The 2014 sixth-round pick, who will team up with countryman Ivan Provorov and play for Russia's squad in the CHL's Canada/Russia Series, now has 11 markers and 12 helpers in 20 games this season. He's caught the eye of Flyers general manager Ron Hextall, too.

"He’s probably got a bigger piece of the pie than maybe we anticipated him having and he’s doing a great job with it," Hextall told Dave Isaac of the Courier-Post during the Flyers’ stop in Calgary last week. "He’s progressing well."

Myers seems interesting too... anyone know much about him? He's from my hometown.

Philippe Myers, D, Rouyn-Noranda Huskies
The 18-year-old blueliner just continues to produce for the Huskies. He scored a goal in Friday’s 4-2 win over Blainville-Boisbriand and added two assists in a 4-3 victory over Charlottetown on Saturday. Myers has been a revelation on the back end for Rouyn-Noranda, posting eight goals, nine assists and a plus-17 rating in 20 games this season.

Just look at the jump in production, and he's still only 18 years old:
2013-14 Rouyn-Noranda Huskies QMJHL 46GP, 0g 4a 4pts
2014-15 Rouyn-Noranda Huskies QMJHL 60GP 2g 6a 8pts
2015-16 Rouyn-Noranda Huskies QMJHL 20GP 8g 9a 17pts

Archived