Good thing we fired the coach

fanaticV3.0

Now that we got rid of the anchor that was holding us back, we can let these players do what they can do… Because you know it's not their fault or anything :ph34r:

Seriously though, I haven't watched a ton. I've had some things going on, but tune in when I can.

One thing I will say is that I found  the scratching of Gagner  to be both bizarre and completely unwarranted. The coach is lucky this is a blame the goalie year.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what's called growing pains. A new coach was never gonna come in and turn everything around on a dime.

I'm starting to wonder..."growing pains" explains it when something is actually getting better. The Flyers simply look like a continuation of last year's malaise. I realize it's basically the same group of guys but I expected Hakstol to spark some life into them by now.

and wtf Joey Mullen what is with that PP? Last night late in the 1st, Flyers down 1-0 and we have 3 guys who stand motionless around the perimeter while the other 2 guys play catch. And that was the 1st unit.

easy to see why the Flyers' PP is now ranked 28th. For the same bunch of guys they look remarkably disinterested in scoring goals, esp on the PP.

[edit: the only bright spot is Neuvirth. I saw about half the Canucks' game man he looked good.]

Especially if the personnel is questionable.

fan - I think this is the key... we could have S Bowman on the bench and I dont think it would matter.  This team is a jagged bunch of puzzle pieces that really are (1) untalented, (2) slow and (3) just flat-out not good.   This team relies on G and Jake and if they are not scoring or playing well the rest of the team goes  below average.   The defense it terrible and that of an AHL Team.   

Until we can open roster spots via trade, buyout or nuclear bomb it will be more of the same.   

I'm starting to wonder..."growing pains" explains it when something is actually getting better. The Flyers simply look like a continuation of last year's malaise. I realize it's basically the same group of guys but I expected Hakstol to spark some life into them by now.

and wtf Joey Mullen what is with that PP? Last night late in the 1st, Flyers down 1-0 and we have 3 guys who stand motionless around the perimeter while the other 2 guys play catch. And that was the 1st unit.

easy to see why the Flyers' PP is now ranked 28th. For the same bunch of guys they look remarkably disinterested in scoring goals, esp on the PP.

[edit: the only bright spot is Neuvirth. I saw about half the Canucks' game man he looked good.]

well yeah, I'm beginning to think that keeping any of Berube's staff was a bad idea. But, I love Laperriere, so I'm conflicted. Neuvy looked great last night. He's been great.. he's used to facing tons of shots coming from buffalo. 

STILL, I think it all comes down to personnel. We don't have it. This is not a good team on paper, so it's certainly not likely to be a good team on ice. Starting to blame the coach, at this point... you might as well blame the leaves for turning colors. 

Because you know it's not their fault or anything :ph34r:

Well, it is their fault - but there's not a whole lot that can be done about it over the course of one offseason.

And with 10 forwards. 3 defencemen and 2 goalies signed for next year, we'll see what can happen there.

I do think Hackstol is a billion times the coach that Berube is/was, but it remains to be see if he can shine the turd Holmgren left.

That said, I'm not impressed with Hextall's Hartnell/Umburglar deal, nor the Schultz signing and the jury is out on the Voracek and Couturier deals.

The honeymoon is over for Hexy. Gotta start showing some results on the ice.

At least he sent MacDud™ to Lehigh.

That said, I'm not impressed with Hextall's Hartnell/Umburglar deal, nor the Schultz signing and the jury is out on the Voracek and Couturier deals.

exactly what I was saying in another post Rad...  

Hextall has really not had the chance to make any moves that shape this Team.   In fact, I would argue we took a step back w/ the RJ/Hartnell and Schultz deals.   Schultz was fine on a one year deal but there was not reason to sign him to a 2 year deal.  I rather have a young player from the Phantoms on the roster frankly.   Another head scratcher was the Rinaldo deal (at the time) as there was no reason to sign him at that point.   Luckily, the Bruins were stupid enough to give us a 3rd but I chalk that up to luck.

It is a "wait and see" period with Hextall.  We have no idea how he operates given salary cap room and we really dont know what the Couts and Jake deal will look like.  People think Hextall is a genius but his moves are not all that great when you break them down... unless you consider RJ's contract is shorter than RJs :ph34r:

Well, it is their fault - but there's not a whole lot that can be done about it over the course of one offseason.

And with 10 forwards. 3 defencemen and 2 goalies signed for next year, we'll see what can happen there.

I do think Hackstol is a billion times the coach that Berube is/was, but it remains to be see if he can shine the turd Holmgren left.

At least he sent MacDud to Lehigh.

I'm just starting to feel that the 5 year plan for Hexy might turn into an 8 year plan. He's got some learning to do along with everyone else. These recent deals may end up being so bad as Homer's... we'll see. 

I still think that we're seeing the team overthinking their play, in general. I feel that there's been a lot of instruction given and they're not playing 'their' individual game, so they're having to think before reacting. That's an overly optimistic way of saying... I think they will turn things around eventually. I still doubt we get into the playoffs, but I'm just hoping for some signs of improvement by years end. 

I'm really not gonna be upset if we're in the draft lottery again... and I'd like to see some purging of some contracts before season's over. Deadline deals will be key if Hexy can spin some magic like last year. I'm looking at you Streit.  :ph34r:

I can't criticize the Schultz signing too much. A bit more of a cap hit than you'd like for a marginal, older D-man but only a bit. He really was good last year too, definitely looked like a keeper and I didn't see any signs of age or mileage affecting him as the season progressed.

Obviously something is bothering him now because so far this year he's been brutal.

I can't criticize the Schultz signing too much. A bit more of a cap hit than you'd like for a marginal, older D-man but only a bit. He really was good last year too, definitely looked like a keeper and I didn't see any signs of age or mileage affecting him as the season progressed.

Obviously something is bothering him now because so far this year he's been brutal.

Yeah, at the time he was signed... it seemed like it wasn't a bad deal. He was playing pretty ok there. It's hard to see how he's fallen as far as he has this year. He has been our worst D man on a bad D corp. That's pretty bad. Not Colorado Avalanche bad... but quite bad. 

If you look at Schultz career he is that type of player.   Might have a good year but for the most part has been average at best.   One year deal was fine... two was too much.  Maybe TFGirl will stop in b/c I remember she was criticizing this signing when it happened.  We needed speed on the back end and we signed slow and out of position instead.

I'm just starting to feel that the 5 year plan for Hexy might turn into an 8 year plan. He's got some learning to do along with everyone else. These recent deals may end up being so bad as Homer's... we'll see. 

agree Bak...  5 years might not be enough.  If that is the case Hexy might have to thinking about G and/or Jake.  Not that Jake would be an easy trade right now...

I am not blaming this on Hextall - this is ALL HOMER.  Hextall needs time but the patience of the fanbase and the organization might not allow it.

I still think we have this year and next as a remodel for this team and I'm ok with it.

Need a first line lw.

Need a second line lw

Need a top 9 right winger

Need a 2c (schenn? , coots? ) doubtful.

Coots with Laughton here is expendable for his skill set or even Laughton instead.

B schenn ( still not sure what we have )

Defense??? Grenade and start over.

If you look at Schultz career he is that type of player.   Might have a good year but for the most part has been average at best.   Maybe TFGirl will stop in b/c I remember she was criticizing this signing when it happened.  We needed speed on the back end and we signed slow and out of position instead.

Well yeah... we're not even seeing close to average right about now. He's well below avg this season. Dare I say... we can now criticize the coach for playing him far more minutes than Luke Schenn. Speaking of whom, LSchenns is quietly playing as our best D man this year. That's not saying a lot on this squad, but shocking nonetheless. 

@bakanekimiwa

worse than Manning ?

Shultz is a fine bottom pairing guy, on this team he's top 4 and he just doesn't have top 4 ability, as we are seeing .

I think Striet's game has taken a step backwards too, he is too deliberate, you can read that as slow, when he turns his back to retrieve the puck, he's been beaten a lot by guys bearing down on him while he looks like he's  going half speed.  

Aside from Del Zotto that group is pretty not good. Luke has been pretty good when he's played but he is still too heavy and fast teams turn him inside out.

fan - I think this is the key... we could have S Bowman on the bench and I dont think it would matter.  This team is a jagged bunch of puzzle pieces that really are (1) untalented, (2) slow and (3) just flat-out not good.   This team relies on G and Jake and if they are not scoring or playing well the rest of the team goes  below average.   The defense it terrible and that of an AHL Team.   

Until we can open roster spots via trade, buyout or nuclear bomb it will be more of the same.   

That was my point - they stink.

@bakanelimiwa

worse than Manning ?

Shultz is a fine bottom pairing guy, on this team he's top 4 and he just doesn't have top 4 ability, as we are seeing .

I think Striet's game has taken a step backwards too, he is too deliberate, you can read that as slow, when he turns his back to retrieve the puck, he's been beaten a lot by guys bearing down on him while he looks like he's  going half speed.  

Aside from Del Zotto that group is pretty not good. Luke has been pretty good when he's played but he is still too heavy and fast teams turn him inside out.

Manning should be in the AHL...  he serves no purpose on this roster. 

@bakanekimiwa

worse than Manning ?

Schultz is indeed playing worse than Manning, but almost every metric and by a healthy margin. Manning has been absolutely brutal, so I'm not sure I have an adjective for just how bad Schultz has been. I'm not defending Luke either... this group is as bad, if not worse, than we thought they'd be. 

I still think that we're seeing the team overthinking their play, in general. I feel that there's been a lot of instruction given and they're not playing 'their' individual game, so they're having to think before reacting. That's an overly optimistic way of saying... I think they will turn things around eventually. I still doubt we get into the playoffs, but I'm just hoping for some signs of improvement by years end.

Yeah, I can certainly see that.

Hextall has really not had the chance to make any moves that shape this Team.

Not to really shape it, but he did eliminate the top line LW and left everyone saying "we need a top line LW".

And he did ship Grossmannnn out and got rid of the Pronger contract. So there's that.

The thing he should have done - buy out VLC - he didn't do. On the positive side, that's probably why MacDud™ is down on the farm.

Manning should be in the AHL...  he serves no purpose on this roster. 

They really wanted to see what he had - if anything.

Now they know.

@mojo1917

that's a good assessment of the Flyers' D - right on the money re: Streit and LSchenn. Nick Shultz though...the way he's playing he'd be lucky to suit up in Allentown right now.

Streit has either lost a few steps or else we're seeing the effects of the Team D being so out-of-whack that nobody knows wtf they're doing. It's hard to fathom because the first 5 or 6 games (aside from the blowout in FL) there was more cohesion and communication happening, more than there ever was under Berube.

Suddenly the Flyers ran into that juggernaut of a team (a.k.a the Buffalo Sabres) and things just spiraled downhill in a flash. Voracek's continued slump makes matters worse of course and the secondary scoring dried up too.

[edit: I'm serious, sometime during that week after Boston and the Rangers games something happened to the Flyers. Couturier got hurt but that doesn't explain it.

The Flyers whip the Hawks 3-0, beat Boston in Beantown in OT, take on a good Dallas team and nearly beat them, squeaked by the Rags in a SO...then suddenly they can't play together anymore. The look worse than last year the past 5 games. WTF happened?]

Yeah, I can certainly see that.

Not to really shape it, but he did eliminate the top line LW and left everyone saying "we need a top line LW".

And he did ship Grossmannnn out and got rid of the Pronger contract. So there's that.

The thing he should have done - buy out VLC - he didn't do. On the positive side, that's probably why MacDud is down on the farm.

They really wanted to see what he had - if anything.

Now they know.

Agree rad... that is why I think there is an argument that he has actually made it worse.   As someone said this 5 year plan could be more like an 8 year plan.  

Archived