T.V Dinner or am I crazy?

waningphilosophic

Im not the biggest hockey fan in the world, but I recently deccided to start following the St Louis Blues.  Never really been into Hockey before this. But as a kid I lived in Bellingham Washington near the border with Canada.  Back then, the CBC came in better than the Seattle channels. So Hockey was on in the background a lot.  We used to watch Don Cherry on Coaches Corner just talk and act crazy even if I didnt really care about the game. So, here's my stupid question, I swear I heard one time on Hockey Night In Canada that in addition to 3 goals being a HAT TRICK, there was something called a TV DINNER. I dont remember if it was a double hat trick of just 5 goals in one game or what, but my childhood memory says that people talking about hockey called something a TV DINNER.  Am I crazy? Is this the dumbest question ever asked about the game of hockey?  Is it some strange Canadian Colloquialism used by an earlier generation?  I really am trying to be a St Louis Blues fan as I just moved to St Louis from Seattle and they actually seem to be a team who might just be at least among the top 5 teams in the league.  And I'm interested in getting back into a sport I've not watched since I was a kid really. So if someone out there can confirm that there is such a thing as a TV DINNER in hockey or confirm that I'm out my ever-loving mind, there aint no such thing as this crazy talk in the game anywhere by anyone.

Thank-you, I appreciate your help. 

Moderator: if this isn't the right place to ask this question, please direct me to what forum or section or topic would be appropriate to ask this kind of question? 

Allow me to join those who have already welcomed you.

The closest thing I can ever think of hearing to "TV dinner" is John Buccigross constantly using the phrase "winner winner chicken dinner," though he was on ESPN. Wow, did I ever get sick of hearing him use that...

@waningphilosophic

Welcome. I think it's awesome that you've had this question in the back of your mind since you were a kid. I've never heard of it. But I think you should just go for it. Next game you're at just start yelling "TV DINNER!!!" and maybe you'll start something. That's how it happens.

I was at a Halifax Mooseheads game two years ago - actually it was a Team Canada vs Russia "friendly" match (to use a soccer term) - and there were these guys who were chanting "F-O-R-R-R-S-B-E-R-R-R-G" for no apparent reason. It was hilarious. I have no idea what the hell it was all about.

@waningphilosophic

i'm thinking you might've been listening to a play-by-play guy that talked about TV dinners when he got excited.  like, after an awesome goal, he'd yell, "oh, you can eat a TV dinner and still have dessert," or whatever.  they'll do stuff like that, sometimes.  or talk about beating rented mules, or leaving people on the freeway heading to the airport, or scratching their back with rusty saws.  actually, that was all just the one guy, but still.  there has been some truly outthere catch phrases by broadcasters over the years.  kind of a dying art, though.

@aziz

I could see Emerick saying something like "and he TV Dinners it into the corner".

Most of the time I have no clue what the hell he's talking about, other than he's trying to invent his own hockey lingo. Really badly.

Between that and Pierre gushing over Sidney Crosby even when the Pens aren't playing, it's hard to focus on games those two call.

Have no idea about hockey and TV-dinners.

Actually I have few ideas about anything these days.

But, welcome. You'll like it here. People know what they're talking about. They're also kind and reasonable. Rare qualities on internet boards.

Archived