O'Reilly's brother Cal is in the future plans I am sure

Buffalo Rick

Cal was called up for a game last week and was a major player in the win over the Ducks.  I expect him to be up later in the season.  Marcus Foligno had best be looking over his shoulder.  And maybe a couple other guys too.  I only with Gionta was on that list.  I am not happy with the veteran.  And I am clueless why he has the C on his jersey.  I know Bylsma wants no trouble in the locker room.  To me O' Reilly should be wearing the C.  Cal's reward for the great performance was unfortunately a trip back to Rochester.  He alone is reason enough to go see the Amerks play in the AHL.  So  far so good on this rebuild by the Sabres.  To me they are right on schedule and perhaps a bit ahead.  Certainly Risto is ahead.  And Cal is coming soon.

@Hockey Junkie  Saw a lot of Cal's junior career, good junior player, very iffy pro. You do realize he is 30 next September. If he does ever get called up, he will be a checking line guy, bottom 6 for sure.

I was impressed with his effort and skill in that game.  He showed alot.  But he does not wear Orange and Black so I guess he is worthless

I was impressed with his effort and skill in that game.  He showed alot.  But he does not wear Orange and Black so I guess he is worthless

He's turning 30 and has had numerous tries at NHL level. He is past the point of rookie nervousness and will have a good showing trying to secure a 4th line spot in his first few call up's, but he is past the age where you should expect anything

I said nothing about useless. I was just pointing out, I watched Cal play over 100 junior games live for my Spits. That kinda makes me fairly knowledgeable on his value, skill sets etc. I never thought his scoring (99 pts in his last year in Windsor) would ever translate into the NHL. He had 2 or 3 good moves that always worked in the OHL....one of them the old stickhandle left then Right with a head fake thrown in....in the NHL they call that a one trick pony, you get away with a few times and then the big mean NHL d-men plant you into next week. Worthless, no....but he will be VERY hard pressed to be a NHL regular, nearing the age of 30, time is not his friend. At least he will make a respectable living in the AHL for another 3-5 years, kid works his butt off, he deserves to make money at the game he loves. He really is a nice guy, just not talented enough to stick around....which is kinda sad.

Archived