Gagner Waived - source bright

Bakanekimiwa

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It means Streit is coming back and they needed to clear cap space in order to make room for him. We gain $950k from this (or more if he somehow gets claimed).

They're too scared to waive Manning and lose him since he's on such a cheap contract. I would have demoted Laughton instead since he's not even getting any icetime. That's not going to help his development

It means Streit is coming back and they needed to clear cap space in order to make room for him. We gain $950k from this (or more if he somehow gets claimed).

They're too scared to waive Manning and lose him since he's on such a cheap contract. I would have demoted Laughton instead since he's not even getting any icetime. That's not going to help his development

Yeah the sad news is that they probably tried to trade him and couldn't get a cold turd for him....which means he will have zero trade value at the deadline...

Yeah the sad news is that they probably tried to trade him and couldn't get a cold turd for him....which means he will have zero trade value at the deadline...

They also probably tried to trade L. Schenn, but no one wants him....right now

I think Luke has to have more trade value than Gagner by far. Right handed Dmen are a needed commodity....guys like Gagner not so much. I know the Red Wings would take Luke for sure.

Not necessarily.  Teams aren't desperate enough yet to make moves because they still haven't hit the 1/2 way point of the season.  There is enough time between now and the trade deadline for d-men on contending teams to get injured and increase the marketability of Streit and Schenn.  

Not necessarily.  Teams aren't desperate enough yet to make moves because they still haven't hit the 1/2 way point of the season.  There is enough time between now and the trade deadline for d-men on contending teams to get injured and increase the marketability of Streit and Schenn.  

Yeah but if you were interested why would you trade assets for something you could pluck now for free off waivers??? I'll tell you why....he has no value right now.

I think Luke has to have more trade value than Gagner by far. Right handed Dmen are a needed commodity....guys like Gagner not so much. I know the Red Wings would take Luke for sure.

If the Wings wanted Schenn, he would be a Red Wing right now. The fact of the matter is bottom pairing defenseman are not in demand right now. Does Schenn have value? Sure, but no one is desperate enough to make a move for him right now

@TSNBobMcKenzie
Scott Gomez (STL) and Sam Gagner (PHI) on waivers.

But know you have the potential of having 8 d-men on this team.  Who sits?  Is MacDud still on team? or did he get sent back to AHL (sorry if I missed that)

Tim Panaccio of the CSN Philly: Flyers defenseman Michael Del Zotto left practice early yesterday and is questionable for tomorrow night. He suffered either a hand or wrist injury against the Blues before.

“I felt pretty good today and went on the ice and got in the first drill,” Del Zotto said. “It went well and then I took a pass in the second drill and that gave me a lot of discomfort and pain.

“I decided it wasn’t the smartest idea to battle through the pain in a practice two days away from the game. Hopefully, tomorrow it feels better.”

Defenseman Mark Streit could come off the LTIR either today or tomorrow and they’ll need to shed about $860,000 in cap space. They’ll either have to put someone on the LTIR or remove someone from the roster. Coach Dave Hakstol said over the weekend that Shayne Gostisbehere will remain on the top power play unit when Streit returns, meaning that he’ll remain with the team.

If the Wings wanted Schenn, he would be a Red Wing right now. The fact of the matter is bottom pairing defenseman are not in demand right now. Does Schenn have value? Sure, but no one is desperate enough to make a move for him right now

Not if the Flyers want to keep him. He still has value here...to me it's the best Luke has looked this year in his Flyer career. So you keep asset till a deal comes along you like. Trade when you're ready. Luke has value.

haven't seen here yet... what does it all mean?

Just read this from Broad Street and I have to say I just don't get it.  How does waiving Gagner over Umberger make any sense what so ever?  

Gagner is so needed on the top line with Giroux right now now that Line 2 is gelling so well.  

I understand that Umberger is "responsible" defensively, but the goal is for neither one to be here as soon as we can unload them, so why not get some scoring love on the top line and some potential shoot out help in the mean time?  

They're too scared to waive Manning

Can they not demote Manning?  They have to waive him?

Either way, Manning's contract isn't enough to clear what they need to keep Ghost.  Laughton's is.  

I guess they don't intend to keep Gagner after the season.

Are they only allowed to collect cap relief off of waiving one inflated contract from a vet (i.e. MacDonald) because if they can get another 900K in cap relief waiving and demoting VLC, that seems like the most obvious choice and I honestly can't figure out why they wouldn't do that.  

I kind of doubt that.  Luke's not that bad and his contract is pretty amiable.  He'll fetch something at the deadline I'm sure.  But teams aren't there yet.  

In the mean time, he's more valuable to the Flyers on the ice.  Certainly more valuable than manning whose only value is in how little he costs.  

does it have to do with their respective contracts?

No one would take Umberger's  Someone might take Gagner's.  My only question is if we can collect the same kind of charity cap relief we got by waiving Mac on more than one player not on an ELC.  

If not, then this move only makes sense if they know for sure someone will pick of Gagner.  

Actually even if it's yes, then it still only makes sense if they know for sure someone will pick up Gagner because Umberger's contract is worth more and theoretically would merit more charity cap relief if he were waived.  But if that's the case, then why not just friggin' waive Vinny, collect the most charity cap relief and make everyone happy? 

But teams aren't there yet.

The hold up is the Flyers aren't there yet. I know he is a whipping boy here but he is playing some of his best hockey now so they don't want to move him.

Just like Manning not counting the last game is playing ok when paired with Ghost so they don't want to waive him.

That honor belongs to Gagner. I imagine Hexy has had his feelers out for weeks and thinks he is the safest option.

RJ would have been a safe option to i think but they went with the guy who hasn't played in awhile.

No one would take Umberger's  Someone might take Gagner's.  My only question is if we can collect the same kind of charity cap relief we got by waiving Mac on more than one player not on an ELC.  

If not, then this move only makes sense if they know for sure someone will pick of Gagner.  

Actually even if it's yes, then it still only makes sense if they know for sure someone will pick up Gagner because Umberger's contract is worth more and theoretically would merit more charity cap relief if he were waived.  But if that's the case, then why not just friggin' waive Vinny, collect the most charity cap relief and make everyone happy? 

Flyers can bury as many players as they want and get ~950,000 in cap space for each one with a contract that exceeds that value.

To the bolded: The max cap relief you can get for burying a player in the AHL is ~$950,000, regardless of the contract size - as long as it exceeds that number. So if a guy costs $950,001 against the cap, you get $950,000. If a guy costs $10 million, you get $950,000. So Umberger or Gagner, either way you are getting back $950,000.

The hold up is the Flyers aren't there yet. I know he is a whipping boy here but he is playing some of his best hockey now so they don't want to move him.

Just like Manning not counting the last game is playing ok when paired with Ghost so they don't want to waive him.

That honor belongs to Gagner. I imagine Hexy has had his feelers out for weeks and thinks he is the safest option.

RJ would have been a safe option to i think but they went with the guy who hasn't played in awhile.

I hear you on Luke.  I tend to agree.

I don't tend to agree on Manning.  I think the belief is he's safe most of the time, but man he has some nights when he is just plain terrible and I think Hakstol is way to forgiving of that for some reason.

What Manning is though is fairly efficient for an incredibly low cap hit.  That makes him worth more than his play on the ice to a team as screwed up cap wise as these Flyers.  

I mean here's my perspective:

RJ is a guy who doesn't lose you any games.

Gagner is a guy who could lose you a few, but could also (and has) win you a few more.

However, as a result Gagner is far more likely to get picked up off the wire.  You might not want to trade a pick for him, but you might take him for free.  I would if I had the cap room.    

I assume that's factoring in.  

However, as a result Gagner is far more likely to get picked up off the wire.  You might not want to trade a pick for him, but you might take him for free.  I would if I had the cap room.

But Gagner is coming off an injury and hasn't played since around Thanksgiving so he is safe....to pass through.

What Manning is though is fairly efficient for an incredibly low cap hit.

Yes and he can cheaply be plugged in when/if they decide to pull the trigger say on a Streit deal...he is already and familiar with what is going on.

I could be wrong, but if Gagner does clear to the AHL, then the Phantoms have a number issue.  Only so many players with X number of NHL games can dress a night. I forget what X is, in this case.

So he may end up riding the pine down there(or another NHL vet will).  

I could be wrong, but if Gagner does clear to the AHL, then the Phantoms have a number issue.  Only so many players with X number of NHL games can dress a night. I forget what X is, in this case.

So he may end up riding the pine down there(or another NHL vet will).  

I found this......

Veteran: AHL game rosters can only suit up to six combined veterans or veteran exempt players in each game played. A veteran is someone who has played 321 or more professional games in the AHL, NHL, or elite European Leagues. The number of games is calculated before the new season begins and that status cannot change until the next season. Goalies are exempt from this rule. There is no rule for how many combined veterans or veteran exempt players a team can carry.

Veteran Exempt: AHL game rosters can only suit up to six combined veterans or veteran exempt players. A Veteran Exempt player has played in 261-320 games in the AHL, NHL or elite European Leagues (See European Elite Leagues). The number of games is calculated before the new season begins and that status cannot change until the next season. Goalies are exempt from this rule. There is no rule for how many combined veterans or veteran exempt players a team can carry.

It could be argued that Gagner wasn’t really given that opportunity – the Flyers have dedicated more ice time to youngsters and grunts under Dave Hakstol – but it could also be argued that he didn’t earn it. Gagner had just two goals and three assists through October and zero points until through Nov. 23, when Brad Malone of the Carolina Hurricanes slew-footed him and concussed him. He hasn’t played since.

Archived