Leafs Rivalries

WordsOfWisdom

The team has stunk for so long that I was wondering if the Leafs had an active rivalry with any NHL team right now. :unsure[1]:

Here are my thoughts on the other 29 clubs and the "rivalry" they share with the Leafs, expressed as a score from 0% (none) to 100% (both teams despise each other):

• Anaheim Ducks: 0%.
  • Boston Bruins: 40%.
  • Buffalo Sabres: 40%.
  • Calgary Flames: 20%.
  • Carolina Hurricanes: 0%.
  • Chicago Blackhawks: 10%.
  • Colorado Avalanche: 0%.
  • Columbus Blue Jackets: 0%.
  • Dallas Stars: 0%.
  • Detroit Red Wings: 60%.
  • Edmonton Oilers: 20%.
  • Florida Panthers: 0%.
  • Los Angeles Kings: 0%.
  • Minnesota Wild: 0%.
  • Montreal Canadiens: 70%.
  • Nashville Predators: 0%.
  • New Jersey Devils: 0%.
  • New York Islanders: 0%.
  • New York Rangers: 10%.
  • Ottawa Senators: 60%.
  • Phoenix/Arizona Coyotes: 0%.
  • Philadelphia Flyers: 0%.
  • Pittsburgh Penguins: 0%.
  • San Jose Sharks: 0%.
  • St. Louis Blues: 0%.
  • Tampa Bay Lightning: 5.1%. (Just for @TropicalFruitGirl26)  :P
  • Vancouver Canucks: 20%.
  • Washington Capitals: 0%.
  • Winnipeg Jets: 20%.

Things that can make for a rivalry (in my opinion) include:

• Crowd reaction / anticipation for the game.
  • History of interesting games played between the two.
  • History of important/meaningful games played between the two.
  • Media "manufacturing" / PR / hype
  • Geographic location
  • Division / conference location

Thoughts? Did I miss any?  :)

@WordsOfWisdom

You sure did miss one...a BIG one too!

TB Lightning vs Tor Maple Leafs should NOT be 0%!!

They got this whole, "battle for the team colors thing now"...cmon!

Will the REAL blue n white please stand up, etc....so far, the Leafs are dong a LOT of sitting down! :ahappy:

Just now, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

@WordsOfWisdom

You sure did miss one...a BIG one too!

TB Lightning vs Tor Maple Leafs should NOT be 0%!!

They got this whole, "battle for the team colors thing now"...cmon!

Will the REAL blue n white please stand up, etc....so far, the Leafs are dong a LOT of sitting down! :ahappy:

You're fast!  :o Five seconds after I post and you've replied. Holy mackinaw!  :)

Okay, maybe I'll give that 5% lol.  

Just now, WordsOfWisdom said:

You're fast!  :o Five seconds after I post and you've replied. Holy mackinaw!  :)

Okay, maybe I'll give that 5% lol.  

At LEAST 5....and if things get hairy around summertime with regards to Stamkos, you can add another 5 percent for the Battle for Stamkos...because if he does end up signing in Toronto (silly silly man if he does, hehe), then he will INSTANTLY be public enemy number one whenever the Leafs and Bolts play.

Just now, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

At LEAST 5....and if things get hairy around summertime with regards to Stamkos, you can add another 5 percent for the Battle for Stamkos...because if he does end up signing in Toronto (silly silly man if he does, hehe), then he will INSTANTLY be public enemy number one whenever the Leafs and Bolts play.

Yes indeed, that could spark a rivalry for sure!  :biggrin:

There's only one I really care about. The Habs.

When I became a hockey fan there were only 6 teams, and only two of those were Canadian.

Leafs fans hated the Habs and they hated us right back. I would rather the Philadelphia Quakers win the cup than the Habs.

So I'm saying the Habs number should be 100% (or more if possible)....:mad:

2 hours ago, BluPuk said:

When I became a hockey fan there were only 6 teams, and only two of those were Canadian.

Leafs fans hated the Habs and they hated us right back. I would rather the Philadelphia Quakers win the cup than the Habs.

LOL. I listed the Habs as the biggest rival of the Leafs, but I blunted it with a value of 70% because the two teams haven't played a truly meaningful game against one another in over a decade. That sort of result tends to lessen the intensity of a rivalry over time. 

If both the Leafs and Habs were playoff teams, and both of them met in the conference finals or something, that would quickly ratchet things back up to 100% for sure.  :biggrin:

2 hours ago, BluPuk said:

Yea, but until those Philly Quakers unload dead weight like MacDonald, Schultz, and Umberger, they aren't even getting into the playoffs.....

Oh wait, that would be the Philly FLYERS.....meh, at this stage, same difference.... :lol:

15 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

LOL. I listed the Habs as the biggest rival of the Leafs, but I blunted it with a value of 70% because the two teams haven't played a truly meaningful game against one another in over a decade. That sort of result tends to lessen the intensity of a rivalry over time. 

If both the Leafs and Habs were playoff teams, and both of them met in the conference finals or something, that would quickly ratchet things back up to 100% for sure.  :biggrin:

The bolded is the thinking I always have had whenever people try to drum the ol "Florida State rivalry....Lightning and Panthers!"

Talk about trying to manufacture a "rivalry".....those two teams have never really been good enough at the same time (there were many seasons when BOTH were putrid) to warrant a proper rivalry. Their only connection is that they are both from the same state....that all by itself is hardly a recipe for an interesting rivalry.

That may all change this year with both the Bolts and Cats looking to make the playoff, and as you said for the Leafs and Habs, a playoff series BETWEEN them would help immensely.

So I would agree, that although there may be some deep rooted cultural and geographic natural rivalry between Ontario/Quebec, the actual on-ice battle between the Leafs and Habs has not been that interesting since both teams are not solid contenders....and in the case of Toronto, that hasn't been true since their epic collapse at the hands of the Boston Bruins on that fateful playoff series that SHOULD have seen the Leafs advance..............

Sorry for bringing that back up, Leafs fans......but you gotta admit, the team seemingly has spiraled downward from THAT point on, no?  :blushing:

4 hours ago, BluPuk said:

WordsOfWisdom, you must be younger than me.

Yes sirree BluPuk. That I yam. :P

4 hours ago, BluPuk said:

To me, there is no such thing as a meaningless game between the Leafs and the Habs. :lol:

For me it's a mathematical tautology because I consider every game the Leafs play to be meaningless. :lol:

6 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Yea, but until those Philly Quakers unload dead weight like MacDonald, Schultz, and Umberger, they aren't even getting into the playoffs.....

Oh wait, that would be the Philly FLYERS.....meh, at this stage, same difference.... :lol:

Why are they called the Flyers anyway? Are they like the flyers I get in the mail? I'm guessing probably not.  :ermm:

Actually, I could work with that from a PR standpoint:

• Flyers are impossible to stop (ie: Some schmuck keeps delivering them, even if you specifically ask them not to.)
  • Flyers completely dominate the space they occupy (ie: The mailbox is usually overflowing with them.)
  • Flyers are consistent (ie: They arrive almost every day.)
  • etc.

:biggrin:

The bolded is the thinking I always have had whenever people try to drum the ol "Florida State rivalry....Lightning and Panthers!"

Talk about trying to manufacture a "rivalry".....those two teams have never really been good enough at the same time (there were many seasons when BOTH were putrid) to warrant a proper rivalry. Their only connection is that they are both from the same state....that all by itself is hardly a recipe for an interesting rivalry.

Indeed. Often times the media tries to create the rivalry based solely on geographic location or division placement. The Bolts and Panthers are a good example of two teams that have no real intriguing history of games between them. The Panthers have traditionally been an awful team as well, and you really can't have a rivalry when it's one-sided. ie: When one team poses no threat/challenge to the other. 

This year, we may see the Panthers vs the Lightning.  :)

(This color thing is getting addictive!) 

So I would agree, that although there may be some deep rooted cultural and geographic natural rivalry between Ontario/Quebec, the actual on-ice battle between the Leafs and Habs has not been that interesting since both teams are not solid contenders....and in the case of Toronto, that hasn't been true since their epic collapse at the hands of the Boston Bruins on that fateful playoff series that SHOULD have seen the Leafs advance..............

Sorry for bringing that back up, Leafs fans......but you gotta admit, the team seemingly has spiraled downward from THAT point on, no?  :blushing:

I consider the 2012 playoff year to be a fluke. (Lockout shortened season allowed the Leafs to sneak in.) The collapse already occured back in 2005 I believe. :blushing:

Rivalries? :lol: The team is too inept to have any form of rivalry whatsoever ( none that's been relevant for a while anyways ). If anything, their unrivaled generosity is their best trait.. they help other teams more then they help themselves..

2 hours ago, JagerMeister said:

Rivalries? :lol: The team is too inept to have any form of rivalry whatsoever ( none that's been relevant for a while anyways ). If anything, their unrivaled generosity is their best trait.. they help other teams more then they help themselves..

LOL. I almost wet myself laughing!!! :lol:

1 hour ago, BluPuk said:

I have to agree with @TropicalFruitGirl26 and @JagerMeister. Nobody cares about the Leafs any more. They are sooo bad that they are simply irrelevant :cry:. But at least they have an excuse - they have NO talent. 

The Oilers on the other hand.....I simply don't know what to say about them. 

I heard the Chicago commentator quip that Chicago needs to get the Leafs on their schedule more often so that Kane can score 200 points.  

Sad, but true.  :blink[1]:

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Figured this would be higher....

It would be if the two teams had any recent history of significant games. The "battle of Ontario" has faded in recent years because both the Sens and Leafs are non-playoff teams. 

Good hit by Domi though.  :biggrin:

• 1 month later...
On 2/14/2016 at 7:16 PM, WordsOfWisdom said:

The team has stunk for so long that I was wondering if the Leafs had an active rivalry with any NHL team right now. :unsure[1]:

Here are my thoughts on the other 29 clubs and the "rivalry" they share with the Leafs, expressed as a score from 0% (none) to 100% (both teams despise each other):

• Anaheim Ducks: 0%.
  • Boston Bruins: 40%.
  • Buffalo Sabres: 40%.
  • Calgary Flames: 20%.
  • Carolina Hurricanes: 0%.
  • Chicago Blackhawks: 10%.
  • Colorado Avalanche: 0%.
  • Columbus Blue Jackets: 0%.
  • Dallas Stars: 0%.
  • Detroit Red Wings: 60%.
  • Edmonton Oilers: 20%.
  • Florida Panthers: 0%.
  • Los Angeles Kings: 0%.
  • Minnesota Wild: 0%.
  • Montreal Canadiens: 70%.
  • Nashville Predators: 0%.
  • New Jersey Devils: 0%.
  • New York Islanders: 0%.
  • New York Rangers: 10%.
  • Ottawa Senators: 60%.
  • Phoenix/Arizona Coyotes: 0%.
  • Philadelphia Flyers: 0%.
  • Pittsburgh Penguins: 0%.
  • San Jose Sharks: 0%.
  • St. Louis Blues: 0%.
  • Tampa Bay Lightning: 5.1%. (Just for @TropicalFruitGirl26)  :P
  • Vancouver Canucks: 20%.
  • Washington Capitals: 0%.
  • Winnipeg Jets: 20%.

Things that can make for a rivalry (in my opinion) include:

• Crowd reaction / anticipation for the game.
  • History of interesting games played between the two.
  • History of important/meaningful games played between the two.
  • Media "manufacturing" / PR / hype
  • Geographic location
  • Division / conference location

Thoughts? Did I miss any?  :)

Playoffs matchup! Would that be in "meaningful games"?

Archived