[VAN/CGY] Hunter Shinkaruk for Markus Granlund

19 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Whoaaaaa.

Edit: Whoops! Wrong Granlund I was thinking of hahaha

In this case, Vancouver gets smashed in this trade

Not sure what the Hell Vancouver was doing, Granlund has been trying for YEARS to break into a very pedestrian group of forwards in Calgary with at best a mixed bag of success.

Shinkaruk was a first rounder a few years ago, has been nearly a PPG player in the AHL this year and a Calgary native to boot. Calgary absolutely won this deal.

Strange deal.  Maybe Vancouver is looking for youth that can play now and Shinkaruk is another year or more away?  Grandlund does have some decent 2 way skills but giving up one of the best AHL goal scores for a player who can't stick in the NHL doesn't make much sense. imo

It reminds me of when they dealt for Brandon Sutter and anointed him as the new second line center and gave him a contract that was fitting for that role. Never mind that their was a mountain of evidence to the contrary that Sutter is anything more than a bottom six player on the best day of his life. Same with Grandlund. Calgary has an amazing defense, 5 deep of skilled quality players but at most maybe half a dozen forwards worthy of the name, yet Grandlund, in that mess could not crack the lineup. Shinkaruk has been lighting it up in the AHL, in truth I have been wondering for some time why he hadnt been recalled and put on the second line with Horvat....

I came across this series of tweets (quotes) from @AAVickars that says it all.  

Hunter Shinkaruk, Calgary Flame: "Right now I’m just so excited. I’ll have a smile on my face, ear-to-ear, all day. It’s been great.”  "That chance to put on that jersey, that jersey that I watched and looked up to is pretty cool." The First Person Shinkaruk called after learning of the trade? His mom: "She was crying she was so excited."

lol

8 minutes ago, JagerMeister said:

@Podein25 Perhaps there is more to this then plain stupidity...Maybe something transpiring in secrecy between the two..

I just think it's a case of a guy who likes a player convinces his GM to trade for him. When the GM is canned, I assume he will too. I don't understand this trade at all.

Archived