Game #77 Senators @ Flyers 1:00pm

swflyers28

Flyers kick off hectic home stretch vs. Senators

SENATORS (36-33-9) at FLYERS (38-25-13)
TV: 1 p.m. ET; CSN-PH, RDS, TSN5, NHL.TV
Season series: The Ottawa Senators and Philadelphia Flyers have split two games this season at Canadian Tire Centre. Senators goalie Craig Anderson made 36 saves in a 4-0 victory Nov. 21. Center Sean Couturier had one goal and two assists in a 4-2 Flyers win Dec. 1.

Senators team scope: Ottawa did not practice Friday. Forward Mark Stone won't play Saturday, general manager Bryan Murray told the Ottawa Sun on Friday, but is hopeful he can return to the lineup next week. Stone sustained a chest injury March 30 against the Winnipeg Jets. Murray said he and other members of his staff have started discussions about potential changes on and off the ice next season. "After talking to Eugene (Melnyk, owner), over a month ago now, we both kind of agreed we just kind of had to take a look at everything that was going on, from player development to on-ice product," Murray said. "… We're just sitting around doing a lot of talking and a lot of evaluation of where we are (with) what players and what else has to happen here to make it better." Murray said he hasn't decided if he'll remain GM next season or move into an advisor role. He has been battling Stage 4 colon cancer and Melnyk has said Murray will decide his future.

Flyers team scope: Philadelphia captain Claude Giroux did not practice Friday because of a maintenance day, according to the Courier-Post. He was the only player missing from what could have been the Flyers' final full practice of the season; starting Saturday they play their final six regular-season games in nine days, with three sets of back-to-back games. Goaltender Ray Emery was signed to a contract for the remainder of the season Friday but Sportsnet said Emery must go through waivers before he officially can join the Flyers, since he played in Europe earlier this season. The Senators, Emery's first NHL team, are out of playoff contention but the Flyers won't take them lightly. They have won two straight, including a 3-2 defeat of the Minnesota Wild on Thursday. "I watched a lot of their game," Flyers coach Dave Hakstol said, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer. "They played really well, and that was on a back-to-back. They're a fast transition team that makes a lot of plays."

http://flyers.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/preview?id=2015021168

Greetings:

I don't think this is one of their best games but it was clearly good enough. Simmonds was in his proverbial wheelhouse; Jake is looking better. Mase made saves when needed (maybe overlooked) and the fourth line continues to do its thing very well...though I get a kick out of PEB tripping over his skates...or wiping out altogether...but it gets the job done.

I don't know if you guys caught it but just before the Ottawa 2nd goal, Mase took ages getting up....rolled like a whale to get back on skates after a save.  I thought for a moment that he was injured.

Next stop: Pittsburgh.  That will be tough.  Meanwhile, Hakstol has to be proud of his team.  There is effort and discipline.  

Howie

42 minutes ago, AbelMorpheus said:

Howie, hopefully Pitt is exhausted after it's 5 goal shellacking of the Islanders and Philly stays on this winning high they've got going!

Well, they just clinched a playoff spot AND lost their starting goalie.

They are going to want no part of mixing it up with a very physical Flyers team tomorrow. Wouldn't surprise me to see them sit/rest some starters.

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

I don't think this is one of their best games but it was clearly good enough. Simmonds was in his proverbial wheelhouse; Jake is looking better. Mase made saves when needed (maybe overlooked) and the fourth line continues to do its thing very well...though I get a kick out of PEB tripping over his skates...or wiping out altogether...but it gets the job done.

I don't know if you guys caught it but just before the Ottawa 2nd goal, Mase took ages getting up....rolled like a whale to get back on skates after a save.  I thought for a moment that he was injured.

Next stop: Pittsburgh.  That will be tough.  Meanwhile, Hakstol has to be proud of his team.  There is effort and discipline.  

Howie

Time to give Stolarz a start?

If Mason starts tomorrow, his teammates had better be willing to go through a wall for him.

45 minutes ago, fishbulb said:

If the WINGS lose tonight, I really think Stolarz gets the start.  Mase isn't going to be able to keep up this pace AND have anything left for the 2nd season.

Exactly. I sure hope they lose. But i wouldn't expect help from the Toronto Tankers.

I would give Mason 3 days off before he may have to play his biggest game of the season versus the Wings.

Although the way Mason is playing i'm afraid to give him a break for fear of cooling him off. He is playing the best i think since he has been in Philly unless i am forgetting something.

So i say play him maybe till it is obvious he needs a rest....even if it means pulling him in the game. Or could this be more harmful than not playing him.

I guess i trust Hak to make the call. 1st time in a long time i'm not sure what to do with the goalie.

Sure if Neuvy was healthy i would give him the start. Not sure how fair it would be to give Stollie his 1st start with so much on the line hell he'll already be battling the nerves of his 1st start.

28 minutes ago, fishbulb said:

At least Pittsburgh will be playing a rookie goalie as well... Only 8'ish games of experience I think.

They clinched a playoff spot too so they may just go through the motions. But it is a Philly vs Pens so they may want to maintain that edge.

We'll see.

Archived