Who will make the team from the Phantoms?

Jam1986

I don't understand the fascination with Alt. Hextall and everyone else in the organization don't seem to think much of him, or he would have gotten in some games over Manning/Medvedev last season. 

11 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

I don't understand the fascination with Alt. Hextall and everyone else in the organization don't seem to think much of him, or he would have gotten in some games over Manning/Medvedev last season. 

Alt is a career AHLer...   Nothing more.

14 hours ago, Jam1986 said:

Straka,Alt Leier my choice  Let us know who else.

I don't think any of these, but possibly Leier if Hextall isn't able to do anything up front.

I think Konecny makes the team before Leier, so there's going to have to be multiple openings and no movement on the free agency front.

Alt has already been beaten to death on this thread (a pleasant surprise), but it's worth repeating:  Alt is NOT an NHL player and is about to fall behind several players coming from juniors.   

Straka made some improvements this year.   Maybe injury call up mid-season.

Just now, murraycraven said:

I really never got the Alt-love...   :5726ba4a2f0cc_nonono:

I think it was due to the fact that our NHL defensemen sucked (objectively, that has changed already and is about to only get better), so whatever was in LV had to be better or as good.  "At least the kids will work harder" was the refrain.

I get it.

He still isn't NHL quality.

18 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

I really never got the Alt-love...   :5726ba4a2f0cc_nonono:

He has good size, a right hand shot, can skate well enough and what @ruxpin said, our NHL defensmen were slow and stupid.  Alt was/ is a project. He came to hockey late was a state champion quarterback in Minnesota...his dad was an NFL player he had some things going for him. 

Plus the 'canes were kind of into him ,not that that means anything. 

He has not progressed to where the FO thinks he's better than Manning though and there are some talented guys in the system who will be higher on the depth chart by walking into the room;

Robert Haag is now our 4th maybe 5th best D prospect, two years ago he was a steal and a sure fire NHLer  blahbity blah.  

Alt may never crack the NHL on the regular but I thought he could have been a solid bottom pairing guy based on all the crap i wrote here.

9 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

He has good size, a right hand shot, can skate well enough and what @ruxpin said, our NHL defensmen were slow and stupid.  Alt was/ is a project. He came to hockey late was a state champion quarterback in Minnesota...his dad was an NFL player he had some things going for him. 

Plus the 'canes were kind of into him ,not that that means anything. 

He has not progressed to where the FO thinks he's better than Manning though and there are some talented guys in the system who will be higher on the depth chart by walking into the room;

Robert Haag is now our 4th maybe 5th best D prospect, two years ago he was a steal and a sure fire NHLer  blahbity blah.  

Alt may never crack the NHL on the regular but I thought he could have been a solid bottom pairing guy based on all the crap i wrote here.

I don't think anyone ever said that about Haag, at least not anyone that knew what they were talking about. Haag, like Alt, was always a project, that we hoped could develop into a bottom pairing defenseman.

57 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

I don't think anyone ever said that about Haag, at least not anyone that knew what they were talking about. Haag, like Alt, was always a project, that we hoped could develop into a bottom pairing defenseman.

that's not how i remember his draft year at all. 

Haag was the closest to NHL ready of any of our picks.

He was projected a top 4 player, he was also a surprise to still be around in the second when we picked him.

Since he's been in North America his game has back slid. 

He was never a "project" like Morin or Alt.

1 minute ago, mojo1917 said:

He was projected a top 4 player, he was also a surprise to still be around in the second when we picked him.

I agree mojo...

Haag was never considered a project.  He was a boy among men  in the elite league and there were a lot of people who thought he could be taken in the 1st.   The issue I see is that even at the AHL level he is still inconsistent.   I have seen him play numerous times and there are times he shines and then other times you barely notice the kid on the ice.   

12 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

This is exactly the way I remember it. I still hold out hope, but spaces may be dwindling and he may ultimately be moved. 

The NHL continues to rediscover what the NBA continues to rediscover - drafting high school age kids isn't an exact science.

Much less expecting those players to make an immediate impact at the professional level.

I like Hextall's more measured approach. Duncan Keith spent two years in the AHL - without a callup, without "his nine games" and has turned out pretty well...

2 minutes ago, radoran said:

The NHL continued to rediscover what the NBA continues to rediscover - drafting high school age kids isn't an exact science.

Much less expecting those players to make an immediate impact at the professional level.

I like Hextall's more measured approach. Duncan Keith spent two years in the AHL - without a callup, without "his nine games" and has turned out pretty well...

B...b...but...LeBron 

Just now, ruxpin said:

B...b...but...LeBron 

And Kobe!

What? No love for Daryl Dawkins??

This is quite the list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_high_school_draftees

43 taken, 10 All Stars, 3 MVPs, 2 that never played an NBA minute (with a third taken in 2015 that still hasn't)

So, basically, a 1 in 4 chance of getting an All Star player. Vegas must love NBA GMs :56ce53d1d6689_IDunnoSmiley:

Archived