Chicago trades Bickell, Teravainen to Carolina for picks

45 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Insane. So the cost of a salary dump is a real deal prospect. THIS is what is wrong with the salary cap more than anything. Great move for Carolina.

It's more what's wrong with incompetent management.

Management, after all, is who insisted on the salary cap and cost us a season and a half of hockey to get it.

Making a bad signing can have terrible long term consequences for a franchise. And that's the way they want it.

Imagine the Flyers in year six with Bryzgalov today (three more to go after that) if they didn't get the compliance buyout. Imagine them with Andrew MacDonald for four more years (oh, wait...).

Quite frankly, the Blackhawks still have the guns to make a serious run for the Final. If they come away with a third Cup - much like the vaunted "two seconds for the Ghost of Kimmo Timonen" - they will happily take a few "down years" in 5-6 years and not give Teravanien a second thought.

And I'll wager that everyone on this board would take a Cup over keeping any particular player or prospect.

The danger is, of course, is if you don't win it. But I still wouldn't put this into the realm of Justin Williams for 52 games of Danny "going back to Russia" Markov.

To be clear, I think it's a terrible trade - not that Teravanien has shown that he's going to blow the doors off the league or anything* - but it's indicative of the position that bad management put them into.

* if the choice was between Shaw and Teravanien, being a Finnophile, I likely would have kept Teravanien, but I can see where Chicago looks at Shaw and makes the other decision.

Archived