LV Phantoms and other Flyers Prospect discussions 2016-2017

pilldoc

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

Because Matthews did it?  Matthews basically knew he'd be in the NHL this year. he went to the Swiss league to earn some cash. Not so he could play in the A this year.

Is it possible? Sure. I just get sick of people who don't watch junior trying to 'fix it' by sending players to the A. When the other leagues catch up to the CHL in providing NHLers then maybe we should worry about development here. 

I know you do, FC. I'm just not sure that's what the article was claiming. He didn't claim it was broken or that he was trying to fix it - just trying to explain the eligibility rules.

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, brelic said:

I know you do, FC. I'm just not sure that's what the article was claiming. He didn't claim it was broken or that he was trying to fix it - just trying to explain the eligibility rules.

Sammy-understand.gif

2 minutes ago, brelic said:

Lol, we also picked Kevin Marshall over PK Subban.

But that as a whole was a terrible draft year.....yikes Zach Hamill, Keaton Ellerby, Colton Gillies, Logan Macmillan, Angelo Esposito just off the top of my head in the 1st!!!!

Here's an update from today's Phantoms practice: http://highlandparkhockey.blogspot.c...preseason.html

I know the lines will be changing, but here's what they looked like today:

Danick Martel - Andy Miele - Chris Conner
Tyrell Goulbourne - Mark Zengerle - Petr Straka
Greg Carey - Kevin Sundher - Nicolas Aube-Kubel
Steven Swavely - Radel Fazleev - Corban Knight
Chris McCarthy - Justin Crandall* - Derek Mathers

Will O'Neill - Travis Sanheim
T.J. Brennan - Reece Willcox
Robert Hagg - Max Lamarche
Daniel New* - Jesper Pettersson

Only two unsigned guys left in Phantoms camp. It'll be interesting to see how the lines/pairings shake out as Flyers make their final cuts. Regardless, it's going to be a talented roster from top to bottom for Lehigh Valley this fall.

Edit: I just copied and pasted from the guy who covers the Phantoms.

On 05/10/2016 at 9:35 AM, OccamsRazor said:

Still can't believe Flyers could of had this kid at LW instead took Goulbourne.....

:hocky:

I feel for Goulbourne. He did nothing but get drafted too high. He's going to be a very good player in his own right. What's not to like about a guy who will probably be a 15 goal scorer, elite penalty killer and someone who can kick the crap out of any team's players that take liberties with ours. He'll never be a glorified scorer, but he's going to play an important role when he arrives. I expect him to have a 35 - 40 point season in Lehigh Valley. 

21 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I feel for Goulbourne. He did nothing but get drafted too high. He's going to be a very good player in his own right. What's not to like about a guy who will probably be a 15 goal scorer, elite penalty killer and someone who can kick the crap out of any team's players that take liberties with ours. He'll never be a glorified scorer, but he's going to play an important role when he arrives. I expect him to have a 35 - 40 point season in Lehigh Valley. 

I guess i'll believe that when he scores 15 in the AHL first.

Baby steps i guess...but we're talk about guy who is ALREADY producing in NHL.

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

I guess i'll believe that when he scores 15 in the AHL first.

Baby steps i guess...but we're talk about guy who is ALREADY producing in NHL.

I get it, but at the same time, we can't blame Goulbourne for where he was selected. Sometimes, the hate the kid gets is unreal, even though he did nothing to warrant it. As for his playing time in the AHL, looks like he's slated for the second line on the left wing. He could really put up decent numbers. When you consider he scored 7 goals last year while playing less than 9 minutes a night, his jump in ice time should lead to a jump in production.

2 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I get it, but at the same time, we can't blame Goulbourne for where he was selected. Sometimes, the hate the kid gets is unreal, even though he did nothing to warrant it. As for his playing time in the AHL, looks like he's slated for the second line on the left wing. He could really put up decent numbers. When you consider he scored 7 goals last year while playing less than 9 minutes a night, his jump in ice time should lead to a jump in production.

Wait a minute i'm not hating on him just pointing out a fact that they could use a LW like Duclair whom is doing well at the NHL level already.

Flyers needed LW depth at the time and still reach for a guy like Goulbourne who may or may not even make it to the NHL level in fact they didn't even offer him an entry level deal first but a prove it AHL deal.

I'm not mad at Goul but it would have been nice to have Duclair at their disposal now than where Goul is now.

Guess we'll  see soon.

Wade Allison scored his first collegiate goal and celebrated accordingly

http://sonsofpenn.com/flyers/wade-allison-collegiate-goal-gif-celebration/

allison-goal-1.gif

This kid may end up being the steal of the draft for Hextall, going to round into a nice power forward they need.....a cross between Leclair and Hartnell.

Time will tell.....

Wow Phantoms got blasted tonight in their preseason opener. Not the start they envisioned.

Stolarz gives up 6 goals in the first 40 minutes....yikes from what i read not all on him. No Morin or Leier tonight.

Man if this team misses the playoffs again Hextall must find a new coach because Gordon has to much talent to not get there.

He must go of they are out again.

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 7:00 PM, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I watched Tyrell all last year in Allentown where he is a huge fan favorite and I seriously doubt he'll ever make the Big Show.  He just doesn't have any touch around the net and is too small to be a genuine tough guy.  He skates well but gets caught out of position a lot.  Not a particularly punishing hitter either. He isn't a sparkplug that gets the team going when they're flat like little Danny Martel or Cole Bordreau.  I'm not saying he stinks; he's just not special.

But he sure has a hell of a surprise first punch.  Three times I've seen him knock down an opponent on one punch.  The Stortini one was unbelievable.  I never ever saw anyone leave the ice as wobbly as Zach Stortini did that night.  Funny thing was that Zach came back in the second period and scored a goal and was named the Number One star.

Crazy times to see the Flyers listed in this category i say.....but i love it!!!

Top 10 Goalie Prospects in the NHL

Top 10 Goalie Prospects in the NHL

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-top-10-goalie-prospects-in-the-nhl/

9. Carter Hart, Philadelphia Flyers

The 2016 NHL Draft saw the value of goaltending prospects plummet, and there wasn’t a netminder picked until the Philadelphia Flyers scooped up CHL Goaltender of the Year Carter Hart with the 48th overall selection. Hart was initially projected to be a candidate for the back end of the first round, but concerns over his size caused him to slip to the Flyers in the middle of the second round. The Flyers’ goaltending is in a state of flux, with both halves of their 2015-16 goaltending tandem, Steve Mason and Michal Neuvirth, set to hit free agency in the summer of 2017. While Philadelphia has a nice stable of young netminders, headlined by Anthony Stolarz and Felix Sandstrom, Hart has the ability to be the best of them all.

Carter Hart Philadelphia Flyers

Carter Hart at Flyers Rookie Camp. (Amy Irvin / The Hockey Writers)

Despite standing just 6 feet 1 inch and weighing in around 180 pounds, Hart’s great season as the starting goalie for the Everett Silvertips made him the first draft-eligible goalie to win the Goaltender of the Year award since Chet Pickard in 2008. A netminder with an unflappable demeanor and great athleticism, Hart appears to be an early favourite for the role of Team Canada’s starting netminder at the World Juniors. While the 18-year-old is still probably several years away from contending for a starting spot with the Flyers, Hart’s success and pedigree up until now bode well for the future of the Flyers’ crease.

Phantom lineup per Bill.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Flyers-On-Paper-vs-Actual-Opening-Night-Rosters-Line-Combos-Phantoms/45/79834

10 Greg Carey - 21 Andy Miele - 22 Chris Conner
19 Radel Fazleev - 18 Danick Martel - 16 Nicolas Aube-Kubel
23 Taylor Leier - 7 Mark Zengerle - 13 Colin McDonald
14 Corban Knight - 9 Cole Bardreau - 24 Petr Straka

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
29 Derek Mathers, 12 Tyrell Goulbourne

43 T.J. Brennan - 44 Reece Willcox
4 Robert Hägg - 6 Travis Sanheim
3 Samuel Morin - 8 Will O'Neill

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
20 Maxim Lamarche - 38 Jesper Pettersson

41 Anthony Stolarz / 34 Alex Lyon

Injured: 2 Mark Alt

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!!!!!

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Phantom lineup per Bill.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Flyers-On-Paper-vs-Actual-Opening-Night-Rosters-Line-Combos-Phantoms/45/79834

10 Greg Carey - 21 Andy Miele - 22 Chris Conner
19 Radel Fazleev - 18 Danick Martel - 16 Nicolas Aube-Kubel
23 Taylor Leier - 7 Mark Zengerle - 13 Colin McDonald
14 Corban Knight - 9 Cole Bardreau - 24 Petr Straka

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
29 Derek Mathers, 12 Tyrell Goulbourne

43 T.J. Brennan - 44 Reece Willcox
4 Robert Hägg - 6 Travis Sanheim
3 Samuel Morin - 8 Will O'Neill

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
20 Maxim Lamarche - 38 Jesper Pettersson

41 Anthony Stolarz / 34 Alex Lyon

Injured: 2 Mark Alt

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!!!!!

Not really impressed with the forward corps. I hope it gets better in the coming years with guys like Rubtsov, Allison, Laberge. Bottom line is that we have no top tier forward prospects since Konecny graduated to the big club.

57 minutes ago, brelic said:

Not really impressed with the forward corps. I hope it gets better in the coming years with guys like Rubtsov, Allison, Laberge. Bottom line is that we have no top tier forward prospects since Konecny graduated to the big club.

Well Laughton will be joining them as soon as he is healthy.

And Oskar Lindblom will be over next year too.

23 hours ago, brelic said:

Breaking down a Phantoms roster that has plenty of talent and potential

Breaking down a Phantoms roster that has plenty of talent and potential

A good read i think, gives you some input on some of the forwards and Dmen they have collected to help push this team to the playoffs...got to get these kids some experience and confidence....i like the approach...they don't make it and Gordon will be out after this year i know it........

http://sonsofpenn.com/flyers/phantoms-roster-breakdown-royals-preview/

22 hours ago, AJgoal said:

I imagine Weal will be there too. They actually have some serious AHL firepower. I think three guys on the team have led the AHL in scoring over a season.

I guess I should have qualified by saying not impressed with the forwards in terms of NHL potential. I see it as a bit thin - not for bottom six, but for top six. 

Archived