LV Phantoms and other Flyers Prospect discussions 2016-2017

pilldoc

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, flyercanuck said:

Well, good for him....but i've always found goalies as captains to be weird.

Yeah, but I have zero issues with it in this case because it appears his teammates made the selection. I hate coaches/gms etc naming the Captains. It's an honor that should be bestowed by the squad - because then you know that there's no question that the player has the team's respect.

22 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Yeah, but I have zero issues with it in this case because it appears his teammates made the selection. I hate coaches/gms etc naming the Captains. It's an honor that should be bestowed by the squad - because then you know that there's no question that the player has the team's respect.

I agree with you there...but when you actually need your captain to do some talking with an official, and he's at the other end of the rink, it doesn't do you much good. 

Leaders are leaders whether they wear letters or not.

Just now, flyercanuck said:

Leaders are leaders whether they wear letters or not.

Absolutely. I've argued many times that you don't need to strip the C from someone to give it to someone else because you see the other player as more of a leader. The players know who the leaders are anyway. 

It's more the outside optics. Folks here were questioning whether Giroux has the respect of his teammates, for example. If his teammates vote to make him Captain, that question doesn't even come up.

2 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Madsen named one of three Captains for Harvard next season:

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2017/4/21/new-captains-2017-18-announced/

I can see him not signing at the end of next year and going the free agent route.

He will have to compete with Sandstrom and Hart in 18-19 who will be 21 and 20 respectively when that comes.

So someone will have to be the odd man out. Not sure if the Flyers would have luck trading his rights.

So as talented as he is there is no room for 3 goalies in LV.

Jesper Pettersson won't be returning to the Philadelphia Flyers organization in the fall. After completing his three-year entry level contract this past season, the undersized defensive defenseman is returning to his native country to play in Sweden's pro league with Djurgårdens IF (SHL)

While the Lehigh Valley Phantoms season ended on the last day of April, it's a quick turnaround for Flyers' pending unrestricted free agent forward Andy Miele.

He confirmed to Highland Park Hockey Tuesday morning during the Phantoms' locker room clean out day and exit interviews that he is signed with a team overseas in the Swedish Hockey League (SHL) in Malmo.

Miele can still re-sign with the Flyers organization before June 25th if there is mutual interest between both sides, but it seems unlikely given the organization's current roster at the pro level with the influx of recent draft picks entering the pro ranks both in the last year or so and incoming rookies for the 2017-18 season.

I wish them both lucky but the writing is on the wall...more talent coming in to take their jobs anyways.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Man just looking at all the talent about to come to the Flyers...and now to add the #2 overall to it...

giphy.gif

LOL ... that is just plain nasty .... LOL

Looks like Ron is making room for guys coming in.

3 guys headed to Europe so far Pettersson, Andy Miele and now joined by Mark Zengerle.

Phantoms will be fine without them...new blood coming in.

Welcome to the Memorial Cup Samuel Dove-McFalls scouting report. He's the only Flyer in this tourny and I've been keeping a close eye on him.

He's on a stacked St.John's team, he's playing LW on the 3rd line with Chicago 4th rounder Noel. What I've noticed so far, this kid is a good skater for a 6'1 200+ lb player. I project him to be slightly better than average skater at the NHL level. His skating will not hold him back, but he will not be an out and out burner at the next level. 

This is a feisty player. He's on a seek and destroy mission every shift. He gets his nose dirty, loves to cycle the puck. Very nice positional play, he knows where he is supposed to be and strays, but only when necessary to get open or retrieve the puck. This kid is a VERY nice 4th round pick. He has a decent shot at seeing some time with the Flyers at some point. Nice hard accurate shot. In short, this kid plays Flyers hockey.

He was just under a point per game last year, despite being on a stacked team, on the 3rd line and not getting top pp minutes. He has some decent upside on offence. He can play in the AHL next year, but I really think it comes down to how stacked the Phantoms are. I believe this is one of those kids who can develop a LOT going back to junior. He will be getting top minutes on St.John's, possibly be the Sea Dogs captain. In the AHL he would probably be stuck in a bottom six role, which might stunt his offence. A full year on St.John's top pp would be really helpful for his development IMHO.

He has 11 pts in 18 playoff games this year. That includes 8 goals, a very nice total for a guy who is not on the top pp.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=187148

1 hour ago, jammer2 said:

Welcome to the Memorial Cup Samuel Dove-McFalls scouting report. He's the only Flyer in this tourny and I've been keeping a close eye on him.

He's on a stacked St.John's team, he's playing LW on the 3rd line with Chicago 4th rounder Noel. What I've noticed so far, this kid is a good skater for a 6'1 200+ lb player. I project him to be slightly better than average skater at the NHL level. His skating will not hold him back, but he will not be an out and out burner at the next level. 

This is a feisty player. He's on a seek and destroy mission every shift. He gets his nose dirty, loves to cycle the puck. Very nice positional play, he knows where he is supposed to be and strays, but only when necessary to get open or retrieve the puck. This kid is a VERY nice 4th round pick. He has a decent shot at seeing some time with the Flyers at some point. Nice hard accurate shot. In short, this kid plays Flyers hockey.

He was just under a point per game last year, despite being on a stacked team, on the 3rd line and not getting top pp minutes. He has some decent upside on offence. He can play in the AHL next year, but I really think it comes down to how stacked the Phantoms are. I believe this is one of those kids who can develop a LOT going back to junior. He will be getting top minutes on St.John's, possibly be the Sea Dogs captain. In the AHL he would probably be stuck in a bottom six role, which might stunt his offence. A full year on St.John's top pp would be really helpful for his development IMHO.

He has 11 pts in 18 playoff games this year. That includes 8 goals, a very nice total for a guy who is not on the top pp.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=187148

So are the Flyers going to sign him what do you think they have a little under a week to do so or lose his rights.

What say you???

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

So are the Flyers going to sign him what do you think they have a little under a week to do so or lose his rights.

What say you???

Hmmm, I did not know he was unsigned. It would be crazy to NOT sign him. He looks like a respectable bottom six prospect with offensive upside and wicked hitting ability. Perhaps they are in tight on the 50 contracts and are looking to clear space?

20 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Hmmm, I did not know he was unsigned. It would be crazy to NOT sign him. He looks like a respectable bottom six prospect with offensive upside and wicked hitting ability. Perhaps they are in tight on the 50 contracts and are looking to clear space?

Can't be that they are at 33 contracts.

So 17 open slots.

But who knows.

Could be he thinks he'll get drafted higher, or he just thinks he'll have a better shot at the NHL elsewhere. ELCs aren't particularly difficult, it may not be on the Flyers end at all.

16 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Could be he thinks he'll get drafted higher, or he just thinks he'll have a better shot at the NHL elsewhere. ELCs aren't particularly difficult, it may not be on the Flyers end at all.

A quick Google search told the story, The hold up is on the Flyers end. Samuel is the only player from the top 100 of the 2015 draft that is unsigned. As the end of the article indicates, it is odd from a Flyers perspective. The kid is a legit prospect, probably not top 6 material, but certainly in the running for an eventual spot in the Flyers bottom six. Just stupid to walk away from this kid, unless their off the ice issues we don't know about. 

http://www.sportstalkphilly.com/2017/05/the-curious-case-of-samuel-dove-mcfalls.html

9 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Carter Hart beaten out by Michael McNiven of Owen Sound for CHL goalie of the year.

Hart           1.99 GAA  927 SV%  9 SO  

McNiven    2.30 GAA  915 SV%  6 SO

WTF?

Archived