NHL Draft Grades

flyercanuck

I know it's kind of silly to grade a draft that happened days ago, but it's summer and it's hockey and if you think it's downright stupid, don't read it. 

LastWordOnSports came out with the first on the 2016 NHL draft....enjoy. 

http://lastwordonsports.com/2016/06/26/lwos-2016-nhl-draft-grades/

Since there's a large Flyer contingent....

Philadelphia Flyers A

Picks: German Rubtsov, Pascal Laberge, Carter Hart, Wade Allison, Carsen Twarynski, Connor Bunnaman, Linus Hogberg, Tanner Laczynski, Anthony Salinitri, David Bernhardt
Value: Hart

The Flyers had a tremendous draft. They got three players we had first round grades on. They also got Wade Allison who was amongst the quickest risers on the board, Tanner Laczynski who was in our top 100, and Connor Bunnaman who was just outside that top 100. The Flyers have one of the best groups of young defencemen in the NHL. They added a number of quality forwards to that group this year. Rubtsov was caught up in the meldonium scandal and playing in Russia, so he slipped a bit. He is the gem of the Russian U18 team, leading their offence while also killing penalties and playing in all situations. An extremely well rounded centre he will fit in well in Philadelphia.

Laberge has the versatility to play both centre and wing. With his playmaking ability, and strong skating, he does seem suited to playing in the middle of the ice. He could be a bit more selfish and use his tremendous shot more often. Hart was the best goalie in the draft class. He has great technique, and the cool and calm demeanor needed in a goalie. Allison plays a simple game, but a highly physical and highly effective one. He is a budding power forward, willing to throw hits on the fore check, get involved in battles along the boards, and go to the front of the net.  He was the USHL playoff MVP. Laczynski, was overlooked last year, but proved he has high end skill with a huge season in the USHL. Bunnaman is big and physical. He contributes at both ends of the ice.

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

@ScottM

Sweeney and Neely are running that team into the ground. 

Agreed, however two years in a row the B's have taken a defender whom I really hoped to see with the Wings, Charlie McAvoy this year, really big on the kid, nasty hitter with a right hand booming shot and cocky, and lasy June they took Brandon Carlo in the second round, I had been hoping the Wings would trade down and get him in the late first. Big tall rough stay at home guy.

But before Carlo, they had three first rounders and bombed on all of them. After McAvoy, they struck out on pretty much every pick. And some see McAvoy as a bit of a reach at 14 even.

Couldnt happen to a better organization.

Ya, McAvoy isn't a bad pick at 14...but not when Chychryn had fallen to them there. I prefer Fabbro as well, but not by a lot.

Their 2nd 1st rounder was rated to go near the 3rd. They could have reached for him in the 2nd. They've probably taken 2 1st round talents with the 5 picks they've had the past two drafts.

• 2 weeks later...

As ever, I like to wait about 4 or 5 years after the draft, rather than 4 or 5 days, but writers gotta write, and there's not a lot of hits for "Let's grade the 2012 draft" for him. Until then, have fun when they like how your team did, and feel confident the guy was wrong when he was critical of your team's draft. Either way, ahead of time, nobody really knows how these kids will turn out.

3 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

As ever, I like to wait about 4 or 5 years after the draft, rather than 4 or 5 days, but writers gotta write, and there's not a lot of hits for "Let's grade the 2012 draft" for him. Until then, have fun when they like how your team did, and feel confident the guy was wrong when he was critical of your team's draft. Either way, ahead of time, nobody really knows how these kids will turn out.

Its true.

However, I fall into the game too. I am happy as a pig in **** we got Noah Gregor in the 4th round. Kid caught my eye with his skating

Archived