Trouba - Offer Sheet and Trade Rumours

Podein25

20 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I wish I knew the reasoning behind players that avoid Canada. Playing in Canada is not the same as living in Canada, so I'm not sure that taxes would be an issue. The weather in Toronto is no different than it is in New York. One could make a similar argument for Vancouver. The lack of big city glamour doesn't apply to Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver. None of Canada's NHL cities are small hick towns. Many of them are larger than US cities with NHL teams. Again, it just reeks of excuses to me. I don't think these players have a leg to stand on. :(

Leg.jpg

:lol:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

As far as income taxes charged to paychecks, Florida has NO state tax.  People earning paychecks out of Florida only need to pay federal and SS taxes....no state.

That was one of the bigger adjustments I had to make leaving Florida for Minnesota.

MN offers higher wages, but you also pay state income tax.

Also one of the reasons a guy like Stamkos CAN take $8.5M playing out of Florida and really not lose much in the way of income as opposed to playing in, say, New York or Michigan for $11M or so but then having to pay state taxes.

Not sure how taxes work for Canadian provinces, so not sure what advantages / disadvantages a player would have money-wise as far as money coming out of their checks for that.

Yeah, the Stamkos example is on point and it definitely factored into his decision.

In Canada, it's the same: there are federal and provincial income tax. Some provinces, like Alberta, have historically had lower income taxes (and no sales tax Alberta) than other provinces. 

17 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

As far as income taxes charged to paychecks, Florida has NO state tax.  People earning paychecks out of Florida only need to pay federal and SS taxes....no state.

That was one of the bigger adjustments I had to make leaving Florida for Minnesota.

MN offers higher wages, but you also pay state income tax.

Also one of the reasons a guy like Stamkos CAN take $8.5M playing out of Florida and really not lose much in the way of income as opposed to playing in, say, New York or Michigan for $11M or so but then having to pay state taxes.

Not sure how taxes work for Canadian provinces, so not sure what advantages / disadvantages a player would have money-wise as far as money coming out of their checks for that.

For half his games anyways.

They showed a breakdown of players cheques at one point and when they play in another city/country, they pay taxes based on that city/Country for that game

4 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

For half his games anyways.

They showed a breakdown of players cheques at one point and when they play in another city/country, they pay taxes based on that city/Country for that game

Ah. So that's why the Panthers and Lightning are in the Atlantic division!  (To offset the higher taxes of cities like Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal.) :)

@Podein25

Darren Dreger on TSN 1260 in Edmonton:

“Believe it or not, we got a call from a good source out of Detroit. And this is going back a handful of days now. Two Fridays ago, Cheveldayoff, who I think was with his daughter, who was in a hockey tournament, was out scouting and paying attention to what was going on with the Windsor Spitfires and Sarnia and whatnot. Well, he’s close enough to Detroit that he makes a trip into Detroit and meets Jacob Trouba for a coffee at Tim Hortons two Fridays ago in Detroit and got spotted. And I don’t believe Kurt Overhardt was there, the agent. So at that point, it kind of put the story on the front burner for us that, ‘Okay, well, there’s an appetite for something to get done.’

“I think that face-to-face with Cheveldayoff and Jacob Trouba, in large part, is why they got to yesterday and got a deal done.”

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/edmonton-1260/dreger-crosby-not-willing-to-give-up-crown-just-yet-1.602921

3 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Ah. So that's why the Panthers and Lightning are in the Atlantic division!  (To offset the higher taxes of cities like Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal.) :)

Really?

I always thought the Bolts and Cats were put in this division (and the division actually NAMED "Atlantic") because the NHL didn't understand basic geography.... silly me... ;)

3 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Really?

I always thought the Bolts and Cats were put in this division (and the division actually NAMED "Atlantic") because the NHL didn't understand basic geography.... silly me... ;)

Only one team in the Atlantic division is anywhere near the Atlantic lol. ;)

Archived