Trouba - Offer Sheet and Trade Rumours

Podein25

Figured I'd start a thread on this in the event something actually happens. Reportedly (credible sources apparently) the Bruins were thinking of making a massive offer sheet to Trouba in the $49M/7 year range, which is insane, of course. That kind of offer sheet would come with four 1sts as compensation. Here's a local take on it: http://www.winnipegsun.com/2016/06/29/trouba-a-target-for-offer-sheet-from-bruins

I think this is as far-fetched as it sounds. But the real story here may be that Trouba gets traded. I could see it happening. The Jets have 4 D-men who they will want to protect next year for the Expansion Draft: Buff, Enstrom (both have NMCs and have to be protected), Myers, and Trouba. I can't see the Jets leaving either Myers or Trouba unprotected. Nobody can. Do this means the Jets have to go the 8-skaters route instead of the more generous 7-3 option. So this is a problem that could lead to Trouba being traded. 

But the more important factor is this: does Trouba want to stay a Jet? It's not clear. At all. He is reportedly seeking a massive contract that is out of line with his comparable group (Maatta, Seth Jones etc). And he seems lukewarm about wanting to stay in Winnipeg.

Anyway, I could see it happening... 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/30/2016 at 11:02 AM, Podein25 said:

Figured I'd start a thread on this in the event something actually happens. Reportedly (credible sources apparently) the Bruins were thinking of making a massive offer sheet to Trouba in the $49M/7 year range, which is insane, of course. That kind of offer sheet would come with four 1sts as compensation. Here's a local take on it: http://www.winnipegsun.com/2016/06/29/trouba-a-target-for-offer-sheet-from-bruins

I think this is as far-fetched as it sounds. But the real story here may be that Trouba gets traded. I could see it happening. The Jets have 4 D-men who they will want to protect next year for the Expansion Draft: Buff, Enstrom (both have NMCs and have to be protected), Myers, and Trouba. I can't see the Jets leaving either Myers or Trouba unprotected. Nobody can. Do this means the Jets have to go the 8-skaters route instead of the more generous 7-3 option. So this is a problem that could lead to Trouba being traded. 

But the more important factor is this: does Trouba want to stay a Jet? It's not clear. At all. He is reportedly seeking a massive contract that is out of line with his comparable group (Maatta, Seth Jones etc). And he seems lukewarm about wanting to stay in Winnipeg.

I wouldn't worry about an offer sheet like that. I take the 4 1st for him and bid him farwell.

Then if not he could be a trade deadline move and till then he could help work the team towards the playoffs till then.

However you may not get anything close to 4 1st rounders for him but you could get players who could help immediately if need be. So i'd sit back relax and watch how it unfolds.

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I wouldn't worry about an offer sheet like that. I take the 4 1st for him and bid him farwell.

Then if not he could be a trade deadline move and till then he could help work the team towards the playoffs till then.

However you may not get anything close to 4 1st rounders for him but you could get players who could help immediately if need be. So i'd sit back relax and watch how it unfolds.

I think anyone takes 4 first rounders for Trouba. He has yet to score 30 points.

The crap aspect is they say Ntc even limited are supposedly required to be protected. Mark Stuart requiring a protection slot? Ouch

They may indeed go 4 d and 4 f

2 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I think anyone takes 4 first rounders for Trouba. He has yet to score 30 points.

The crap aspect is they say Ntc even limited are supposedly required to be protected. Mark Stuart requiring a protection slot? Ouch

They may indeed go 4 d and 4 f

Agreed but whatever you do you don't leave him unprotected and then lose a talent like him for nothing.

Which i'm sure they won't. Nothing else you move him for something of value.

On 6/30/2016 at 11:02 AM, Podein25 said:

Yup.  Especially since Trouba asked for a trade in June.  :56ce53d1d6689_IDunnoSmiley:

I guess the Jets have to trade him by Dec 1 otherwise he sits the whole year, and we'll likely see Trouba bolting to Europe or the KHL - which is probably the scenario that either side wants. 

One would think Cheveldayoff has already had his best offers - so this gets interesting as it is known that Chevy is looking for a young Lefty D -man in return.  

Trouba for Nurse is an interesting trade rumor which probably works for both sides - except that Edmonton already got their d-man in Larsson. 

Trouba for Gardiner probably has Leaf fans salivating, but they are going to have to give up something more too as in a forward prospect or high pick in next year's draft.  

Other teams that need a player like Trouba are the Coyotes, Bruins, Rangers and Avalanche.  They don't have the right component to give as a young experience Left handed shot D-man but they may be more likely to be sending a larger offer.

This all looks as if it is going to take some time. 

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

Trouba for Nurse is an interesting trade rumor which probably works for both sides - except that Edmonton already got their d-man in Larsson. 

Larsson was a big add, but they still require another RD, due to the gaping hole at 2RD left by Craig MacTavish's shortsighted trading of Jeff Petry.

Depth chart of Oilers D with NHL experience:

Klefbom Larsson
Sekera Fayne
Davidson Gryba
Nurse  
Reinhart  
Oesterle  

Ned Flanders would stock that at his Leftorium.

Trouba for Nurse would be a great trade for Edmonton. Trouba would be perfect at 2RD, pushing Fayne down to 3rd pairing. It would leave them with an actual quality group, complete with a legit second pairing guy (Davidson) playing on the 3rd pair, giving him a chance to really crush it. If the Jets would take a package (it would require an add on EDM's part, imo) then Chiarelli would be crazy not to do it, to improve the team during McDavid ELC window.

I don't think it will happen for two reasons:

1- The Oilers are stiff in the pants over the future of Darnell Nurse, and would likely balk at most trades involving him. Elliote Friedman reported that NYI's ask for Travis Hamonic was Nurse+, and received a "no", so we have a history of Edmonton valuing Nurse over an established quality RD who fit their needs. Edmonton views Darnell Nurse as a five-tool player with huge upside. My problem is that, due to injuries and lack of depth, Nurse was forced to play his 20-year old season in the NHL, and he was absolutely slaughtered out there. Not great for his development.

2- I just can't see how the Jets would view Darnell Nurse or a package with him as the centrepiece as adequate return for Trouba. Nurse doesn't replace what Trouba brings Winnipeg every night right now, and may never do so. He could become that played in time, but it's a massive risk for Kevin Cheveldayoff to take.

My guess for how it works out in Edmonton, is we'll see a blueline which looks  either like:

Klefbom Larsson
Sekera Davidson
Nurse Fayne

or like

Klefbom Larsson
Sekera Fayne
Nurse Davidson

I think the second list is the most likely.

I'm not a big fan of playing left-handed defensemen on the right-side, and vice versa, and Davidson's right-side numbers were somewhat down to compared to left. According to a Bob McKenzie poll of scouts, they feel Davidson would be on the 2nd pairing of any playoff team, so that's where I like him on the depth chart.

I just wish it was on the left-side.

TLDR - The Oilers could badly use Trouba, even with the Larsson add, but I don't think a Nurse for Trouba trade happens.

6 hours ago, hf101 said:

Yup.  Especially since Trouba asked for a trade in June.  :56ce53d1d6689_IDunnoSmiley:

I guess the Jets have to trade him by Dec 1 otherwise he sits the whole year, and we'll likely see Trouba bolting to Europe or the KHL - which is probably the scenario that either side wants. 

One would think Cheveldayoff has already had his best offers - so this gets interesting as it is known that Chevy is looking for a young Lefty D -man in return.  

Trouba for Gardiner probably has Leaf fans salivating, but they are going to have to give up something more too as in a forward prospect or high pick in next year's draft.  

Other teams that need a player like Trouba are the Coyotes, Bruins, Rangers and Avalanche.  They don't have the right component to give as a young experience Left handed shot D-man but they may be more likely to be sending a larger offer.

Great post hf. If you are right that it could take time, the chances that this gets ugly increase. Bobby Mac seems to think the Rags are keen. But there simply aren't a bunch of LH D-men out there that fit the bill.

It's all very sad because when Trouba is on (and he wasn't "on" for much of last year) I truly believe he is the best D-man on the planet (potentially). It's also sad, because the Jets cannot afford to have players do this. The way Trouba did this is especially distasteful to me, because he basically priced himself out of the Wpg market by having his agent float a ridiculous $56M contract desire last year. The Jets should have traded him on the spot in my opinion. I think I said so at the time. They may have got more for him that's for sure.

5 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

NYI's ask for Travis Hamonic was Nurse+, and received a "no", so we have a history of Edmonton valuing Nurse over an established quality RD who fit their needs. Edmonton views Darnell Nurse as a five-tool player with huge upside. My problem is that, due to injuries and lack of depth, Nurse was forced to play his 20-year old season in the NHL, and he was absolutely slaughtered out there. Not great for his development.

2- I just can't see how the Jets would view Darnell Nurse or a package with him as the centrepiece as adequate return for Trouba. Nurse doesn't replace what Trouba brings Winnipeg every night right now, and may never do so.

Agreed. The Jets would want Nurse+

Edit: let me just say, once again, what a fantastic poster you are. :wub[1]:

Excerpt of a conversation with a local hockey writer on the Trouba situation:

As for Trouba, my prediction is he comes slinking back sometime in late November when it becomes clear he's going to have to either play for the Jets this season — and on whatever side of the ice Paul Maurice damn well chooses — or he's not going to play at all. The Jets are going to listen to trade offers, but if there was a deal to be done it would have been done long before this thing went public. It just gets tougher to get a deal done now, especially since the Jets aren't parting with Trouba unless they can get another top-four defenceman in return. What GM in his right mind is going to part with his own top-four defenceman to take a flier on a 22-year-old malcontent who will just pick up his puck and go home if he doesn't like what side you have him playing on? I'd argue Trouba's trade value has never been lower than it is today, thanks to his agent.

And here's the thing, time — and timing — is on the Jets side. If the two parties don't cut a deal by Dec. 1, Trouba has to sit for the whole season. That would be bad for the Jets, but it would be way worse for Trouba. He'd lose a year's income, a year of playing time towards becoming a UFA and whatever contract he does eventually sign would be diminished because there'd be all kinds of question marks about a guy who just sat out a whole year. The Jets as a franchise are here for decades to come; Trouba's got a much shorter window as a player to make as much money as he can while he can.

Only an idiot would choose to sit out a whole year. Although only an idiot would go public with a trade demand when he's an RFA and has no leverage.

6 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Only an idiot would choose to sit out a whole year. Although only an idiot would go public with a trade demand when he's an RFA and has no leverage.

... I guess this speaks for the idiot Agent too. :5726ba4a2f0cc_nonono:

That was a good perspective pods!

5 minutes ago, hf101 said:

... I guess this speaks for the idiot Agent too. :5726ba4a2f0cc_nonono:

Yeah, it doesn't appear to have been handled very well. I've come to the conclusion that Trouba never wanted to be in Wpg and that he made this known to them fairly early on (i.e. the source of the rumours that have been swirling for over a year). Him and his agent may have underestimated Chevy and the ownership on this one. 

And, on the leverage side, guess who the Jets have on the farm who may finally be ready and is a LH D-man? Josh Morrissey. Bad timing Mr. Trouba

3 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Yeah, it doesn't appear to have been handled very well. I've come to the conclusion that Trouba never wanted to be in Wpg and that he made this known to them fairly early on (i.e. the source of the rumours that have been swirling for over a year). Him and his agent may have underestimated Chevy and the ownership on this one. 

And, on the leverage side, guess who the Jets have on the farm who may finally be ready and is a LH D-man? Josh Morrissey. Bad timing Mr. Trouba

Trouba probably has a little amount of leverage here: both he and the Jets know that there isn't a player in the system who's ready to step in and give them 22 quality minutes a night just yet. Morrissey is a nice prospect, but I'd be surprised if he's ready for that yet. In the end, most players who request a trade end up getting that trade, and it's pretty much always the team that holds most of the cards.

My hope for both team and player is that Trouba backs down from this and both sides get on with business.

16 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

My hope for both team and player is that Trouba backs down from this and both sides get on with business.

Me too. Personally, I'd like to see the Jets say "ok, no problem Jacob, you can play the right side." In short, call his bluff. Because this is about money and only money. 

But I can't see them ever getting to that point. For one thing, the Jets fans may prevent it from happening, as they seek to drive him out of town.  

On 9/29/2016 at 1:56 PM, Podein25 said:

I was wondering which side Morrissey played on....having him play the left side is perfect for the Jets. I wonder what type of a package the Jets would want back for Trouba?  They are loaded with young prospects on defense, forward and have Helly in net as the goalie of the future....I would want goals back for Trouba....making the forward corpse deadly. I already know Ehlers is the real deal, and I'm fairly certain Kyle Connor is the real deal also...the perfect scenario would be a high end talent who is still on a rookie deal, but certain to score and get better.

edit...if I'm Vegas, I look hard and long at Chariot in an expansion draft. Has playoff experience, a fine defensive d-man and can be extended without harm to the salary cap.

13 hours ago, jammer2 said:

I was wondering which side Morrissey played on....having him play the left side is perfect for the Jets. I wonder what type of a package the Jets would want back for Trouba?  They are loaded with young prospects on defense, forward and have Helly in net as the goalie of the future....I would want goals back for Trouba....making the forward corpse deadly. I already know Ehlers is the real deal, and I'm fairly certain Kyle Connor is the real deal also...the perfect scenario would be a high end talent who is still on a rookie deal, but certain to score and get better.

edit...if I'm Vegas, I look hard and long at Chariot in an expansion draft. Has playoff experience, a fine defensive d-man and can be extended without harm to the salary cap.

The Jets want an equivalent LD, and from what Elliote Friedman says, are pretty adamant about it.

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

The Jets want an equivalent LD, and from what Elliote Friedman says, are pretty adamant about it.

Really?   Did not know that part. In my opinion, this makes this trade a lot harder to pull off. Unless you had a real glaring problem with an overloaded left side, why would you really bother?  You would be taking on a guy in Trouba who at this point is more promise than substance....a guy who can skate, but has never shown he can pile up pts on a regular basis....if indeed Trouba wants 7 mill plus, guess what, that means offensive flair in my books, like a top 10-15 in pts from a dman kinda stuff, and he has not come close to that. He is still getting better, but do you really want to give a long term deal at 7 milll a year to a guy who shows promise??  What would make any other GM pull up the Brinks truck for promise?

8 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Really?   Did not know that part. In my opinion, this makes this trade a lot harder to pull off. Unless you had a real glaring problem with an overloaded left side, why would you really bother?  You would be taking on a guy in Trouba who at this point is more promise than substance....a guy who can skate, but has never shown he can pile up pts on a regular basis....if indeed Trouba wants 7 mill plus, guess what, that means offensive flair in my books, like a top 10-15 in pts from a dman kinda stuff, and he has not come close to that. He is still getting better, but do you really want to give a long term deal at 7 milll a year to a guy who shows promise??  What would make any other GM pull up the Brinks truck for promise?

I'm sure Trouba would break land speed records getting that contract signed, but the demand (and we're not sure what it is) was really designed to get the Jets to trade him. He's not really looking for or thinking he'll get $7M per year.

Now, I will argue that Trouba is, right now, a quality defenseman, and the Jets would like to keep him for more than just his promise. It's not just what you get, but what you give up, as you well know. When he's on the ice they score more goals and surrender fewer than when he's cooling his heels on the bench. He's high end 2nd pairing (and best on the Jets blueline) as it pertains to GoalsFor% (58%, as in the Jets get 58% of the goals while's out there), and that's about as important a stat as you can pile up. Of the 20 men who played the most minutes with Trouba, 18 had better GF% numbers with him than without him.

I know you're not calling him a bum, or anything like that, and I wouldn't dream of paying him $7M either, but a team that acquires him has a very good defenseman, and he's only going to get better.

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

I'm sure Trouba would break land speed records getting that contract signed, but the demand (and we're not sure what it is) was really designed to get the Jets to trade him. He's not really looking for or thinking he'll get $7M per year.

Now, I will argue that Trouba is, right now, a quality defenseman, and the Jets would like to keep him for more than just his promise. It's not just what you get, but what you give up, as you well know. When he's on the ice they score more goals and surrender fewer than when he's cooling his heels on the bench. He's high end 2nd pairing (and best on the Jets blueline) as it pertains to GoalsFor% (58%, as in the Jets get 58% of the goals while's out there), and that's about as important a stat as you can pile up. Of the 20 men who played the most minutes with Trouba, 18 had better GF% numbers with him than without him.

I know you're not calling him a bum, or anything like that, and I wouldn't dream of paying him $7M either, but a team that acquires him has a very good defenseman, and he's only going to get better.

That is exactly how I would categorize Trouba, a high end 2nd pairing guy. I got the 7 mill figure from an intermission CBC report, they said that is in and around the money he is demanding. Obviously, on the Jets where he is blocked from being a 1st or 2nd pairing guy because of the strong right side situation....the real reason he wants to leave is that he could not demand that money not being on a pp or top pairing.

There is no doubt he is a quality d man and very mobile, but *if* he is asking for that kinda cash, he has to score way more.

On 9/28/2016 at 7:16 AM, hf101 said:

I think Edmonton could use a few more defensemen. Hahaha

28 minutes ago, no1sjsharksfan said:

I think Edmonton could use a few more defensemen. Hahaha

Let's say the Oilers could send Darnell Nurse+ for Jacob Trouba

Oscar Klefbom Adam Larsson
Andrej Sekera Jacob Trouba
Brandon Davidson Mark Fayne

That's an actual NHL defense, and a good one at that. If Craig MacTavish hadn't pissed Jeff Petry into the wind, they wouldn't even need to give up anything to have a 2nd RD, but I suppose what's done is done.

6 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

Let's say the Oilers could send Darnell Nurse+ for Jacob Trouba

Oscar Klefbom Adam Larsson
Andrej Sekera Jacob Trouba
Brandon Davidson Mark Fayne

That's an actual NHL defense, and a good one at that. If Craig MacTavish hadn't pissed Jeff Petry into the wind, they wouldn't even need to give up anything to have a 2nd RD, but I suppose what's done is done.

Who would you said that group of six is better than? Just curious.

Also, I would argue that Trouba is better than Petry.

1 hour ago, no1sjsharksfan said:

Who would you said that group of six is better than? Just curious.

As much I want to dissect the bluelines of 29 other teams, I'll back away a little bit from my original statement and settle with that being a group of actual NHL defensemen. There really aren't players being forced to bat so much higher in the order, like when the Oilers saw fit to trot out a muderer's row of Justin Schultz, Corey Potter, and Cam Barker.

-Klefbom was terrific until suffering an injury and then infection. Played tough minutes, with the puck still moving in the right direction.

-Larsson had the toughest zone starts in the NHL last year, and performed wonderfully. Every single defenseman posted better defensive numbers playing with him than without, even with the brutal starts and comp.

-Sekera is right where he belongs on a 2nd pairing, and Trouba would be the same.

-Bob McKenzie recently polled scouts around the NHL, who all felt that Brandon Davidson is 2nd pair quality on any playoff team in the league. 3rd pairing would give him a real chance to shine against weaker comp.

-Fayne would be where he belongs.

This is far and away better than the children and career minor leaguers they've been trotting out for years, and marks an improvement.

1 hour ago, no1sjsharksfan said:

Also, I would argue that Trouba is better than Petry.

I would say the same thing, but the Oilers wouldn't have to be in the position of using assets to acquire a player like Trouba if they hadn't felt the need to give Petry away.

22 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

As much I want to dissect the bluelines of 29 other teams, I'll back away a little bit from my original statement and settle with that being a group of actual NHL defensemen. There really aren't players being forced to bat so much higher in the order, like when the Oilers saw fit to trot out a muderer's row of Justin Schultz, Corey Potter, and Cam Barker.

-Klefbom was terrific until suffering an injury and then infection. Played tough minutes, with the puck still moving in the right direction.

-Larsson had the toughest zone starts in the NHL last year, and performed wonderfully. Every single defenseman posted better defensive numbers playing with him than without, even with the brutal starts and comp.

-Sekera is right where he belongs on a 2nd pairing, and Trouba would be the same.

-Bob McKenzie recently polled scouts around the NHL, who all felt that Brandon Davidson is 2nd pair quality on any playoff team in the league. 3rd pairing would give him a real chance to shine against weaker comp.

-Fayne would be where he belongs.

This is far and away better than the children and career minor leaguers they've been trotting out for years, and marks an improvement.

I would say the same thing, but the Oilers wouldn't have to be in the position of using assets to acquire a player like Trouba if they hadn't felt the need to give Petry away.

I get your point. The defense is much better than it has been, and would be greatly improved with Trouba. Don't think it would put them in the top five defenses in the NHL, but they are doing a good job of getting better.

Archived