Canada Day signings

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, yave1964 said:

Good Lord Reimer for 5 years, WTF is Florida thinking?

That he's actually not a bad goalie, and could be a starter once Luongo is done?

I'll admit, I've always liked Reimer. Thought he got a bad deal in Toronto.

2 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

That he's actually not a bad goalie, and could be a starter once Luongo is done?

I'll admit, I've always liked Reimer. Thought he got a bad deal in Toronto.

Agreed, just an awful lot of money and term for a backup goalie. I mean, Montoya had one Hell of a year there and could have been had for about half.

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

Hmmmm  curious to see how this shakes out.

First Weber, now Radulov. Collecting old Predators. David Legwand is still out there, lol

5 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Boston signed Anton Khubodin so they hope he solves the problem short term until Subban is ready.

YOU STOLE MY LINE!! Exactly what I was thinking.

Good Lord Reimer for 5 years, WTF is Florida thinking?

I am pretty sure we were all thinking that.

Maybe Evander Kane for Kari Lehtonen or Niemi?

Just now, J0e Th0rnton said:

I am pretty sure we were all thinking that.

Maybe Evander Kane for Kari Lehtonen or Niemi?

Yikes. I don't know who loses in one of those deals.

Two more:

Shawn Matthias who can play middle six or energy line and plays well is an underrated signee by the Jets.

The Stars entered today needing a trio of defenders, have signed Dan Hamhuis from Vancouver. Now they only need to sign three more.

What a psychotic first two hours. I saw somewhere that there were already twice the signings than there were all of July 1 last year.

2 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

First Weber, now Radulov. Collecting old Predators. David Legwand is still out there, lol

1:45 p.m. ET: Alexander Radulov signs a one-year deal worth $5.75 million deal with the Montreal Canadiens.

Too much of risk here IMO..... That is a lot of coin for taking a chance on a player who skipped out of the NHL once before.

Just now, pilldoc said:

1:45 p.m. ET: Alexander Radulov signs a one-year deal worth $5.75 million deal with the Montreal Canadiens.

Too much of risk here IMO..... That is a lot of coin for taking a chance on a player who skipped out of the NHL once before.

Saw a tweet earlier (paraphrased): "Bringing in Radulov, one wonders whether Therrien is just going to give up on waiting for Bergevin to fire him and quit."

5 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Saw a tweet earlier (paraphrased): "Bringing in Radulov, one wonders whether Therrien is just going to give up on waiting for Bergevin to fire him and quit."

I'm surprised their fans are not out in the streets with pitchforks yet....been a tough couple of days if your a Habs fan....

Actually, the fans on HF seemed pretty excited for Radulov. I hear the radio/twitters aren't as forgiving, though.

I'm surprised their fans are not out in the streets with pitchforks yet....been a tough couple of days if your a Habs fan....

12:22 p.m. ET: Forward Troy Brouwer has signed a four-year, $18 million deal with the Calgary Flames. Brouwer told TSN that it was a family-related decision -- he wanted his children to grow up near relatives. Brouwer is from Vancouver but has built an offseason home in Calgary.

The Flames just got tougher to play against.  I like this signing for them.  Along with acquiring Elliot, the Flames are gonna try to make some noise in the Pacific Division....

12:22 p.m. ET: Forward Troy Brouwer has signed a four-year, $18 million deal with the Calgary Flames. Brouwer told TSN that it was a family-related decision -- he wanted his children to grow up near relatives. Brouwer is from Vancouver but has built an offseason home in Calgary.

The Flames just got tougher to play against.  I like this signing for them.  Along with acquiring Elliot, the Flames are gonna try to make some noise in the Pacific Division....

Great signing for the Flames. Love their offseason. I have them as a stone cold mortal lock to make the postseason.

we are down to the dreaded Michael Grabner/Nathan Gerbe types. Grabner is lightning fast and was supposed to be good (he isnt) and Gerbe is too small and is supposed to be bad (he really isnt that bad).

and Colorado who desperately need a defense are rumored in on everything, signed Patrick Wiercoich early and Ryan Stanton late, not much to expect from either.

Stempniak coming off a nice year has signed with his ninth team, a two year deal with Carolina who also signed Stallberg away from the Rangers. With the trade with Chicago for Kruger and Terravainen and the addition of top prospect Sebastion Aho the forward lines are going to be close to as good as the great young defense.

CHAD  BILLINS IS BACK IN NORTH AMERICA!! A former pen pal, (I wrote for an autograph when he signed with the GR Griffins out of Ferris State, we sent several notes back and forth, great kid) and a puck moving defender Billins signed with the Canucks after two years overseas. Great kid, a bit small but plays his heart out. Lousy team with limited back end talent I will be rooting for him to stick.

21 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

we are down to the dreaded Michael Grabner/Nathan Gerbe types. Grabner is lightning fast and was supposed to be good (he isnt) and Gerbe is too small and is supposed to be bad (he really isnt that bad).

and Colorado who desperately need a defense are rumored in on everything, signed Patrick Wiercoich early and Ryan Stanton late, not much to expect from either.

Vasi extended by Tampa. Bishop on the move?

Has anyone signed Demers yet? Vanek? Vrbata? Boedker?

I feel like a few overrated names may still be out there

Vanek to the Wings. Still trying to figure that out.

Got him on the cheap, if he can offer 20-25 goals and 45-50 points from the middle six he is a nice add, the problem is he is really interchangable with most of our wingers of which we have a glut. Nyquist, Abbie, Tatar, with Mantha and Bertuzzi banging on the door wanting ice time in the same position.

Mantha is being whispered about, we may have to include him to get Fowler which the signing of Vanek makes more palatable. I am okay with this move, it probably sets up the next one.

Boedker to the Sharks. 4 years, 4 mill per?

Ugh. Not a fan of guys made of glass. But that pricetag is very good. Very very good. Reports say he wanted to play for Deboer and thinks the Sharks can win a cup and that he turned down longer term and higher salary to come over.

Soooooo, how do the lines shake out? Return Marleau or Hertl to C to make room for another winger?

We could roll with:

Hertl/Thornton/Pavelski

Donskoi/Couture/Ward

Boedker/Marleau/Wingels

Meier/Tierney/Karlsson

Vlasic/Braun

Martin/Burns

Schlemko/Demelo

Spares: Nieto, Dillon, Goldobin, Mueller?

Entirely possible a guy like Wingels, Karlsson, Goldobin, Mueller, Nieto get traded. Hertl is a natural Center and did well at C this year, especially in faceoffs. Thornton/Marleau's contracts come off the books next year. Burns getting extended is a given. I suspect Thornton will keep playing and at a discount despite his scoring. Marleau would need to take a huge haircut to stay

Wilson has typically been quiet during UFA time, but in the past 2 years, he has awoken and done some damn good things.

Quite frankly, giving term without a NMC means he has a bit of a get out of jail free card if he leaves a guy not fitting in unprotected.

If he can sign Burns to a hometown discount under 7.5 Million, I will fully endorse building a statue of Wilson outside the SAP center. He almost always gets guys for a discount. But Burns is one of the highest profile potential UFA's the sharks have ever had. Thornton aside, who took huge hometeam discounts when winning and competing for Hart trophies(in fact, he took Gomez/Drury money)

Archived