Leafs trade Bernier to Ducks for conditional pick...

jammer2

48 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I think they'd like to start moving in that direction now yes. A goaltender that can play solid and not embarrass himself will certainly help. The only problem now is closing the gap between 30th place and 16th place. As Edmonton and Buffalo are finding out, that's quite a gap to bridge. :)

I'm thinking the Leafs offense will produce some more goals this year. If Marner, Nylander and Matthews are all on the team, we will see some real creativity, stuff you have not seen from the Leafs in decades. They lost a lot of one goal games last year, and the young studs along with better goaltending could be the ticket to respectability. One thing for sure, the Leafs offense will go on an upwards swing for the next five years....just getting better and better. A playoff spot depends on how well the Leafs defense can get the puck up the ice safely.

I'm guessing there will be an influx of goalies available this off season and even more towards the trade dead-line.  I believe many teams are going to be comfortable with the roster hit it takes to protect 2 goalies in the coming expansion draft. Therefore, guys like (just an example) Malcom Subban who has 3 years in the minors/as a pro would be eligible to be selected by Vegas (God, does it feel weird typing that!). Rather than just lose Malcom for nothing, they would probably sell him off to the highest bidder, in this case, maybe a 2nd round draft pick etc. The price will be reasonable because there should be a glut of goalies on the market.

Don't want to turn this into a Flyer thing in the middle of a Leaf thread....but I suspect that Stolarz will be free for the taking come next summer. Who knows if he gets picked, as we all know, you can only lose one player per team....just wondering out loud, if Stolarz was to have a stellar season for the Phantoms, he may be in the running to get picked. He was solid last year in the A and a 6'6 goalie with upside, may be scooped up, who knows?

5 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Don't want to turn this into a Flyer thing in the middle of a Leaf thread....but I suspect that Stolarz will be free for the taking come next summer. Who knows if he gets picked, as we all know, you can only lose one player per team....just wondering out loud, if Stolarz was to have a stellar season for the Phantoms, he may be in the running to get picked. He was solid last year in the A and a 6'6 goalie with upside, may be scooped up, who knows?

Depending on how he's developed, we could always trade Neuvrith at the deadline if we're not re-signing him.

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

Depending on how he's developed, we could always trade Neuvrith at the deadline if we're not re-signing him.

That's just it, anyone taking on Neuvirth would basically be saying he is their unquestioned #1 goalie, Everyone and their Mother will be looking to unload a goalie(s). Mike actually is a borderline starter right now, but I don't know if a team would pull the trigger and anoint him their top netminder. There was many times last year where Nieuvy looked better than Mason, and at times, you didn't really know who was the back-up and who was the starter. It's a ways off...who knows....maybe a young goalie prospect rises up through the ranks with startling efficiency, perhaps making Mason expendable. Leave him unprotected and perhaps Vegas would not want to invest that kinda money in the crease...hard to say.

13 hours ago, jammer2 said:

No sense in wasting a goalie spot on Mase or Neuvy for protection reseasons.

They are both UFAs why would team select them then they just walk?

If i'm the Flyers i'm protecting the kids have the most time invested in developing and he is close to being ready. That guy is Stolarz.

Now back to the Leafs goalie issue...the Curse of Belfour...

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

No sense in wasting a goalie spot on Mase or Neuvy for protection reseasons.

They are both UFAs why would team select them then they just walk?

If i'm the Flyers i'm protecting the kids have the most time invested in developing and he is close to being ready. That guy is Stolarz.

Now back to the Leafs goalie issue...the Curse of Belfour...

Flyers would need to sign a goalie in order to protect Stolarz. They must expose a goalie under contract, or an RFA that's been qualified. Everyone else in the system is exempt. So they either expose Mason, Neuvirth, or Stolarz. Their best bet might be to trade one of the UFAs at the deadline and then sign someone off the street to backup Lyon in LV. Then expose that guy.

51 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Flyers would need to sign a goalie in order to protect Stolarz. They must expose a goalie under contract, or an RFA that's been qualified. Everyone else in the system is exempt. So they either expose Mason, Neuvirth, or Stolarz. Their best bet might be to trade one of the UFAs at the deadline and then sign someone off the street to backup Lyon in LV. Then expose that guy.

Or a Labarbera type to expose. There are ways around that.

Archived