Leafs trade Bernier to Ducks for conditional pick...

jammer2

38 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Maybe the Leafs think they got a shot at Ben Bishop now.... :shifty:

the way this off season is going....I'm not ruling anything out .....

Can't say I'm sorry to see him go. Looks like they got a conditional pick of some kind? In other words, they gave him away to get cap space.

Not a bad move at all. :goodjob:

2 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Well, how often do you get to see goalies transplant from worst team to good team and vice versa?

The question of how bad Bernier really is should be answered a bit slower than how good is Andersen

I like it A LOT from the Ducks perspective, they gave up nothing for a goalie who has been struggling behind the worlds worst defense who now will have one of the best and deepest in the game in front of him. Playing 25-30 games as a veteran safety net for young Gibson, there to step in should gibson falter it is a good solid intelligent move.

On 08/07/2016 at 0:53 PM, jammer2 said:

http://www.tsn.ca/maple-leafs-trade-bernier-to-ducks-for-pick-1.523469

Didn't see this coming...who will the back up be now?

I knew Bernier was finished in Toronto with the way he played this past season. This wasn't shocking to me, even if they hadn't signed Andersen.

So long Bernier! :)

On 08/07/2016 at 3:46 PM, BluPuk said:

Can't say I'm sorry to see him go. Looks like they got a conditional pick of some kind? In other words, they gave him away to get cap space.

Not a bad move at all. :goodjob:

They get rid of the NHL's worst goaltender last season (statistically)... if I recall correctly... and get a draft pick in return. It's better than a bag of pucks.  :angel:

On 08/07/2016 at 7:48 PM, yave1964 said:

I like it A LOT from the Ducks perspective, they gave up nothing for a goalie who has been struggling behind the worlds worst defense who now will have one of the best and deepest in the game in front of him. Playing 25-30 games as a veteran safety net for young Gibson, there to step in should gibson falter it is a good solid intelligent move.

That definitely plays a factor, but from what I've seen of Bernier, he's just not that good anyway. There were many times where he let in soft goals that had nothing to do with the Leafs terrible D. You just couldn't rely on the guy. He gave up back breaking goals. One also wonders if his head is in the right place. 

If the Ducks use him as a backup and don't expect anything special from him, maybe they'll get a guy that can hold the fort on occasion for Gibson. If they think he's going to challenge for the #1 spot, they'll be sorely disappointed me thinks. :)

50 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

There were many times where he let in soft goals that had nothing to do with the Leafs terrible D. You just couldn't rely on the guy. He gave up back breaking goals

Could not agree more. Geez, if you had a buck for everytime Bernier let in a soft goal, you would be rich. Not only soft goals, but didn't it seem like it would happen in the first couple minutes of the game? That played out many times last year....Bernier let's in early soft goal and the Leafs are forced to play catch up for the entire game. I do think the Ducks defense and or system will help out his stats...but bottom line, he never did pass the eye test....AND, is there a goalie in the league worse at tracking the puck? If such a beast exists, I have not seen it yet....lol.

10 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Could not agree more. Geez, if you had a buck for everytime Bernier let in a soft goal, you would be rich. Not only soft goals, but didn't it seem like it would happen in the first couple minutes of the game? That played out many times last year....Bernier let's in early soft goal and the Leafs are forced to play catch up for the entire game. I do think the Ducks defense and or system will help out his stats...but bottom line, he never did pass the eye test....AND, is there a goalie in the league worse at tracking the puck? If such a beast exists, I have not seen it yet....lol.

There was one particular stretch of games (before Bernier got sent down to the AHL mid-season) where he allowed a goal on the first shot of the game, or in the first minute of the game, and he did it every game. He didn't get his first WIN until after Christmas if I recall correctly. He was the worst goalie in the NHL by the numbers, given the playing time he received. :o

On 7/8/2016 at 6:43 PM, OccamsRazor said:

That graph is incorrect! Bernier's save percentage diminished in each of his three seasons with the Leafs. There's no way it could have gone up over time.

Regular season   Playoffs
Season        Team         League GP W L OTL MIN GA SO GAA SV%  GP W L MIN GA SO GAA SV%
2013–14 Toronto Maple Leafs NHL 55 26 19 7 3084 138 1 2.68 .923
2014–15 Toronto Maple Leafs NHL 58 21 28 7 3177 152 2 2.87 .912
2015–16 Toronto Maple Leafs NHL 38 12 21 3 2147 103 3 2.88 .908

13 hours ago, jammer2 said:

You never watched Antti Niemi enough then. He is equal, if not worse at tracking and feeling the play.

9 hours ago, hf101 said:

Maple Leafs are looking for experienced backup goalie  -- :5726b5f6a27ed_anidea:

Bryzgalov is looking for a return to the NHL.  

:5726ba4a2f0cc_nonono:

We've got our next sacrificial lamb goalie in Andersen. Sparks can be the backup. The Leafs aren't going anywhere with this defensive group anyway. From what I've seen so far, I'm expecting the Leafs to finish at or near the bottom of the standings again. They're still a long ways off from being a top 8 team.  :)

12 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

:5726ba4a2f0cc_nonono:

We've got our next sacrificial lamb goalie in Andersen. Sparks can be the backup. The Leafs aren't going anywhere with this defensive group anyway. From what I've seen so far, I'm expecting the Leafs to finish at or near the bottom of the standings again. They're still a long ways off from being a top 8 team.  :)

I dunno bro, if the Leafs were planning on tanking again, they might have gone with Sparks and Bibideau (sp...lol)...the fact they signed Andersen kinda tells me they want to win now, I I expect a veteran back-up, one who can win games in back to backs.....I do think they will make a run at the playoffs. If Sparks makes the team, it means they are not serious about winning, cause he is just *not* an NHL goalie.

55 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

I dunno bro, if the Leafs were planning on tanking again, they might have gone with Sparks and Bibideau (sp...lol)...the fact they signed Andersen kinda tells me they want to win now, I I expect a veteran back-up, one who can win games in back to backs.....I do think they will make a run at the playoffs. If Sparks makes the team, it means they are not serious about winning, cause he is just *not* an NHL goalie.

I think they'd like to start moving in that direction now yes. A goaltender that can play solid and not embarrass himself will certainly help. The only problem now is closing the gap between 30th place and 16th place. As Edmonton and Buffalo are finding out, that's quite a gap to bridge. :)

Archived