Vesey to Philadelphia?

31 minutes ago, radoran said:

Apparently there was a "Player's Tribune" article last February, but all in all, he's been pretty darn quiet for a guy who has a "me" ego and is looking to "drag this on for another week or so till he is tired about talking about himself."

the best part is if he actually signed w/ the flyers a portion of the fanbase would think he is the next HUGE thing - he is not.  he will be a good player that appears to have an ego the size of some Harvard prick...

44 minutes ago, radoran said:

You know, of all the stories I've read and all of the coverage I've seen... I haven't seen much of anything from Vesey himself.

Yeah it is really hard to blame the kid for the way the media is acting with the non stop yapping about him. Sure does he enjoy it i would have to say yeah. But even with that said i can't be mad at him....it is all that there is much to talk about with this dead time....at least till football is being played that matters.

I did see a few quotes where someone tracked him down at a rink doing offseason work and he said he was reviewing depth charts and looking where he might have shots at a top 6 spot. Other than that, it's all media. Hard for me to get worked up about ego.

1 hour ago, murraycraven said:

the best part is if he actually signed w/ the flyers a portion of the fanbase would think he is the next HUGE thing - he is not.  he will be a good player that appears to have an ego the size of some Harvard prick...

From Bill M today - could not agree more with this article:

The level of hype around Jimmy Vesey continues to get more ridiculous. Whatever NHL team source told Ek that Jimmy Vesey projects as a 30-goal, 80-point NHL player hopefully is not someone directly involved in the hockey operations side of his team. That sort of projection isn't even in the same universe of the reality of today's NHL, unless one is talking about the EA Sports version.

In the last two NHL seasons, just eight players have reached the 80-point mark. That is eight for the entire league: Patrick Kane, Jamie Benn (twice), Sidney Crosby (twice), John Tavares, Erik Karlsson, Joe Thornton, the Flyers' Jakub Voracek and Alex Ovechkin. Harvard education or not, if Vesey was remotely in the the range of an instant Art Ross Trophy candidate, he'd have been in the NHL three years ago.

Secondly, the 50-plus assist level is one that only the league's elite playmakers reach in today's NHL, even not even they manage it every year. Vesey did not have more assists than goals even once in his college career, nor did he do it while playing for the South Shore Kings and also not in his final season of high school hockey. He has been more finisher than playmaker. To expect the 23-year-old to come to the NHL and suddenly become an elite playmaker is not grounded in the reality of his development path. 

Lastly, it's not exactly like 30-goal scorers are in great abundance in today's NHL, either. Scoring about 32 goals will get someone in the top 10-to-12 in the league. That's not to say Vesey has no chance to become a productive NHL offensive player, but to project the 30-goal, 50-assist, 80-point realm is to set him to disappoint when he comes nowhere close.

Archived