Hextall's Legacy as GM

icehole

2 hours ago, King Knut said:

It's okay to put Eminger amongst the Flyers worst deals.  Trading him and Downie (a prime example of a team screwing up a first round pick) for Matt Carle was a pretty good deal though.  

Downie was an example of a team screwing up a first round pick?

He was the 2nd last pick in the first round...and played more NHL games than SIXTEEN guys taken before him.

Not all 1st rounders are superstars...especially once you get past the top 5.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Downie was an example of a team screwing up a first round pick?

He was the 2nd last pick in the first round...and played more NHL games than SIXTEEN guys taken before him.

Not all 1st rounders are superstars...especially once you get past the top 5.

They could have picked any one of a number of other players that didn't have behavioral and disciplinary problems in and off th ice. 

Gagne and Giroux were also late first round picks.  They're not all winners but they don't all have to be problem children either.  They knew what he was when they took him but they took him anyway. 

7 hours ago, King Knut said:

It's okay to put Eminger amongst the Flyers worst deals.  Trading him and Downie (a prime example of a team screwing up a first round pick) for Matt Carle was a pretty good deal though.

Agree on both counts.   

Honestly, I was livid when they traded the pick for Eminger.  Real time, as it was happening.  I was watching the draft and just screaming at my TV when I saw Holmgren talking to the Caps GM (McPhail?).   And screaming more when the trade was announced.    When he was just talking, obviously I was just screaming against trading the pick.  Had he traded for a couple seconds (it's Holmgren, who are we kidding?) I probably would have calmed down.  MAYBE if it was someone else it might have been okay.

And then they announced the trade and it was Eminger.  I mean, you have to be kidding me.  The kid had shown exactly nothing.   Holmgren got fleeced there.  Simply fleeced.  He'd probably never ever seen the kid play, but the dumbass knew he'd been a #12.  So he thought, "ooh, ooh, 12 better than 27.  I almost get 12 on my fingers.  If only I had one more finger.  Ooh ooh."   That's it.  That's all it could possibly have been about.  He was that bad.   

That we were able to get rid of him in the Carle deal was great, but he was a throw in.   That was largely Downie for Carle, oh, and please take this guy.  And then he didn't even finish the season there.  They traded him before the end of the season to the Panthers...presumably as a public service since there'd be no one actually having to watch him play there.   And traded him for an absolute nothing and a 3rd.   And then Florida didn't even bother to resign him.

We traded a 1st round pick for this idiocy.  Yeah, that goes down as one of Holmgren's worst deals.  Hands down.   It actually has to be mentioned in the 5-10 worst Flyers deals of all time.  Just astoundingly moronic.

53 minutes ago, King Knut said:

They could have picked any one of a number of other players that didn't have behavioral and disciplinary problems in and off th ice. 

Gagne and Giroux were also late first round picks.  They're not all winners but they don't all have to be problem children either.  They knew what he was when they took him but they took him anyway. 

Yeah, completely agree.

If not for hockey, Downie would have been an ax murderer. At the very least, trade down for multiple picks if you don't think you can do better than Animal from the Muppets at #29.

On the other hand, he really was a productive member of the Bolts for several years. So, there was talent.  Just never in Orange & Black.

7 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, completely agree.

If not for hockey, Downie would have been an ax murderer.(NTTAWWT)

Fixed. 

Okay, true story: Mrs P once hired an axe murdererer.

He wasn't one at the time, but it was only like 6 months after she hired him, that he (allegedly) bludgeoned his wife with a hatchet in the back yard while the kiddies slept.

Somehow he was acquitted. Which means there is still an axe murderer walking around a very safe upper class gated community near Winnipeg.

7 hours ago, King Knut said:

Like Vladimir Mihalik, picked right after Downie? He of 15 NHL games.

Brendan Mikkleson selected 2 spots after Downie? 10 career NHL points.

Tyler Plante? 3 picks later....zero NHL games. Would you prefer a guy who doesn't make the NHL?

It's easy to look back and say they should have taken a Keith Yandle. But he was taken in the 4th round because scouts obviously thought he was an inferior player. 

Downie went on to be selected an allstar in the WJC a few months after Philly picked him (they pick one player at each position). Bergeron won it the year before. Toews won it the year after. That's some good company. 

He may not have been a "great" pick like Giroux, but he was a hell of a lot better than what you usually end up with at the end of the 1st round. 

30 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Tyler Plante? 3 picks later....zero NHL games. Would you prefer a guy who doesn't make the NHL?

It's easy to look back and say they should have taken a Keith Yandle. But he was taken in the 4th round because scouts obviously thought he was an inferior player. 

Neal and Vlasic wouldn't have been reaches there. That said, your point still holds. And Neal's still a turd.

12 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Downie went on to be selected an allstar in the WJC a few months after Philly picked him (they pick one player at each position). Bergeron won it the year before. Toews won it the year after. That's some good company. 

He may not have been a "great" pick like Giroux, but he was a hell of a lot better than what you usually end up with at the end of the 1st round. 

He helped get us something out of the Eminger deal.  Other than that he only served to entrench our reputation as psychopaths who deserve to be in the box as often as possible. 

Its not not just gay he didn't pan out.  I don't care that he didn't pan out.  He was suspended and was potentially going to have criminal barges brought up against him. He had issues in the ice and off.  It was inevitable he was going to have issues when he got to the pros.  We have enough trouble with that stuff. 

Its not that you just don't know how some guys are going to turn out, it's that this guy had two stars Ike's against him before he left juniors. 

Its not that he wasn't a star, its that he was just as nuts as he seemed in juniors.  That part you COULD see coming and avoid. 

Archived