The Impact of Brian Elliot and Chad Johnson

WordsOfWisdom

I think I'll revise my forecast for the Flames. They're back into the playoffs again with this group. 

• Elliot had a 2.07 GAA and a .930 save percentage with St. Louis last season.
  • Johnson had a 2.36 GAA and a .920 save percentage with Buffalo last season.

That's a major offseason upgrade in goal for a team that had two of the worst goalies in the NHL. :blink[1]:

Ramo certainly sucked last year. Major upgrades, both Elliot and Johnson. At this point, Johnson is important cause Elliott has shown to be injury prone the last few years. I think the Flames know what to expect from Monahan and Johnny H. the real test will be how does the secondary scoring hold up. A lot of this falls to Backlund, who has to be up to the task of being a strong 2nd line center.

I'm betting against Elliott, but yes an upgrade. 

A blind quadriplegic would be an upgrade from last year. 

I think they get to the playoffs, but my hesitation with Elliott is the injury thing jammer mentioned AND his history of simply not being a money goalie.  I think his confidence is very fragile, and it hurts him when he's needed most. 

13 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I'm betting against Elliott, but yes an upgrade. 

A blind quadriplegic would be an upgrade from last year. 

I think they get to the playoffs, but my hesitation with Elliott is the injury thing jammer mentioned AND his history of simply not being a money goalie.  I think his confidence is very fragile, and it hurts him when he's needed most. 

I'm sure his numbers will drop in Calgary, but he should elevate the Flames as well. I can't remember the last time a team addressed a specific weakness during the offseason so aggressively. Signing one goaltender would have been a big change, but to sign two good goalies and address both starter and backup roles in one fell swoop is unique. :)

5 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I'm sure his numbers will drop in Calgary, but he should elevate the Flames as well. I can't remember the last time a team addressed a specific weakness during the offseason so aggressively. Signing one goaltender would have been a big change, but to sign two good goalies and address both starter and backup roles in one fell swoop is unique. :)

Absolutely.  I mean, good for them.   Calgary is team I can quietly cheer for. Their doing well doesn't negatively impact my Flyers at all. 

Definite upgrade and good for them. It will help them make the playoffs.  That's step one.   I just think that when the object becomes actually going deep into the playoffs, they're going to have to upgrade again. 

That motley bunch in net was awful, simply the worst in the game IMHO. With RYAN MILLER for Gods sake they would have probably snuck into the postseason.

Elliott for all of his warts has great peripheral stats, and this defense is among the leagues best. Giordano, Wideman, Brodie and Hamilton are the envy of most teams. Johnson is good as a backup and Gillies is in the pipeline. A glaring deficiency is now a strength.

Throw in Brouwer bringing grit and scoring to a top nine that was a bit thin and Matt Tkachuk has middle six power forward written all over him.

I was and remain a Bob Hartley fan, he made something out of nothing and got them two rounds deep in the playoffs two years ago. He made Sean Monahan the center that he is today by throwing him out in all situations as a teenager against other teams top line centers. But a coaching change often gives teams a short term spike, although in truth I am more than a little dubious of the signing of Gulutzan who missed the playoffs in Dallas in his two years there. I felt they could have done better.

In spite of that, I still see them as a playoff team if things break right. Not because of it, but in spite of it.

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Absolutely.  I mean, good for them.   Calgary is team I can quietly cheer for. Their doing well doesn't negatively impact my Flyers at all. 

I haven't really "liked" Calgary since the days of Fleury, Nieuwendyk, Roberts, MacInnis, et all.  That was one awesome group of players they had back in the early 90's. So good, they were willing to part with Gilmour.  :P  Back then, they wore the red and yellow unis which looked freakin' awesome and were one of my favourites.

They don't make'em like they used to:

RobertsFlames.jpgnieuwendyk02.jpgTheo-Fleury2.jpgmac.jpg

10 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I feel the same way about the Jets. It's got nothing to do with the fact their Canadian, I just like the young talent they have assembled. The Flames and Jets are gonna have some wars in the coming years, that is for sure!!

There is no way to anticipate similar number that Elliot had in St. Louis last year. The defense is not nearly as good up north, and the Calgary Flames play more of a run-and-gun style of game that the defensively minded Blues. That all said, Brian Elliot is good goalie. I expect him to play something like 64 games, with 33 wins, 2.45 GAA, and a save percentage of .920. Expect his numbers to fall, but Elliot is a big reason why I think the Flames are going to take a wildcard spot this year. Well, if Johnny Hockey signs soon..

On 10/3/2016 at 8:09 PM, ruxpin said:

Definite upgrade and good for them. It will help them make the playoffs.  That's step one.   I just think that when the object becomes actually going deep into the playoffs, they're going to have to upgrade again. 

This kid is going to be good too....

Archived