Question: Who Gets the Shot On Goal on a Deflection?

WordsOfWisdom

I could be wrong, but I would think the deflecting player gets the SOG because technically, he re-directs the original SOG to make a NEW SOG.

Weirdly enough, the original shooter, who likely gets an assist, is said to have "passed" the puck to the deflecting player (though we all understand he shot, not passed), so for scoring purposes, the deflector gets the SOG and the ensuing score, while the original shooter "passed" it for an assist.

That's hockey for ya.

Some really strange chit goes on, and we all love it!  :lol:

Yup, the last person who touched the puck gets credit for the SOG. In much the same vein, when a player shoots at an empty net and it's stopped by a defenseman, it doesn't count as a SOG. I do believe both go down as shot attempts with regards to advanced stats though. The second is a blocked shot, and I believe the deflected shot is a "missed" shot.

1 hour ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Does the player that shoots the puck get the SOG or the player that deflects it? 

:huh:

Is it a trick question or something?

The player that deflects it only gets a SOG if he is on the same team as the shooter

:5726b7e0b0e17_thankyou1:

2 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Is it a trick question or something?

The player that deflects it only gets a SOG if he is on the same team as the shooter

:5726b7e0b0e17_thankyou1:

What happens if a player puts the puck into their own net? :huh:

Is it a SOG? Who gets the SOG? :shifty:

3 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Obviously the offensive player  that deflects it gets the shot on goal.  

That's good to hear. I was afraid there might be cases in hockey where players are getting credited with goals but not having a shot on goal. :)

2 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Yup, the last person who touched the puck gets credit for the SOG. In much the same vein, when a player shoots at an empty net and it's stopped by a defenseman, it doesn't count as a SOG. I do believe both go down as shot attempts with regards to advanced stats though. The second is a blocked shot, and I believe the deflected shot is a "missed" shot.

Now that's interesting because it makes a statement about the shooter's accuracy.  :thinking:

2 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

How many tip in goals do you see?  I mean, are you kidding me?  Of course its the last person to touch the puck on the offensive team as stated above.  This is shorter

You're a very intense individual aren't you? Much like a Buffalo: full steam ahead, run over anything in your path. :)

We moved on the next question:

13 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

20 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

You're a very intense individual aren't you? Much like a Buffalo: full steam ahead, run over anything in your path. :)

We moved on the next question:

It counts and better to skate to exit tunnel than bench

• 1 month later...
On 11/20/2016 at 8:24 PM, WordsOfWisdom said:

Since the last player for the scoring team to touch the puck is credited with the goal, I would have to assume that's the player credited with the shot.

On 11/21/2016 at 9:57 AM, WordsOfWisdom said:

You're a very intense individual aren't you? Much like a Buffalo: full steam ahead, run over anything in your path.

Our local version of Pat Verbeek.

Archived