Game #29 - Oilers at Flyers - Dec 8, 2016 @ 7:00

OccamsRazor

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are games you deserve to win but lose, and vice versa.  This one didn't fall into either category. It had a different form factor.  D was absent. Both goalies were shaky. I am glad we pulled the rabbit out of the hat and hope that Raffl does the power move more often.

51 minutes ago, swflyers28 said:

McDavid acting like a little whiny you know what.  Calling Manning classless and saying he didn't want to fight anyone.  Manning would fight anyone.

I guess he really wants to be the next Crosby down to the whining and all.

1 hour ago, swflyers28 said:

McDavid acting like a little whiny you know what.  Calling Manning classless and saying he didn't want to fight anyone.  Manning would fight anyone.

Wouldn't fight anyone? Why should he fight anyone? That injury you sustained was a damn accident.

Hey McDavid, if you want Manning to fight, challenge him yourself 

19 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

Wouldn't fight anyone? Why should he fight anyone? That injury you sustained was a damn accident.

Hey McDavid, if you want Manning to fight, challenge him yourself 

McDavid said that during tonight's game, Manning indicated that the play wasn't an accident. I sure as hell don't know.

6 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

McDavid said that during tonight's game, Manning indicated that the play wasn't an accident. I sure as hell don't know.

just gamesmanship. trying to get into his head. How much stuff gets said on the ice that is just BS? most of it. This is no different 

35 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

just gamesmanship. trying to get into his head. How much stuff gets said on the ice that is just BS? most of it. This is no different 

I think it's quite likely the case, as I mentioned in the other thread. The possibility exists that it was on purpose (I honestly doubt it) but either way.

I am always amused by how quick folks are to label a player a whiner when he merely answers a question he was asked, and particularly when the player has no history of complaining. It's not like he brought it up, after all, and hell: whenever McDavid was asked about it last year, he repeatedly said that he didn't think it was a dirty play even though media people clearly hoped he would, for the controversy it would generate. He's always said that what is said on the ice should stay there, so... people that would call him a whiner may not really know what he's really like, or may not have given this quite as much thought as they could.

Generally, you can't get the kid to answer a question before he runs his Interview v3.04 software, so it's not like he's grousing all the time, like Sidney and Gretz had a habit of doing. I'm not defending him, mind you (I don't make a habit of defending people I don't know from a hole in the ground), and think he should have seen it as Manning trying to get under his skin. Is it a dick move to infer that it was on purpose after the kid defended him to the media? If true, it kind of is, but so what? This is where McDavid could have continued to keep the on-ice stuff on the ice.

In the end, they each referred to the other as classless, and I think they're probably both wrong, and I don't think it makes either one a whiner.

6 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

if you want Manning to fight, challenge him yourself 

Exactly. I don't think he knows who he is dealing with. Its why they called him Mad Dog. Hak changed it to Man Dog. He'll fight anyone.

6 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

Too many other guys involved in it to be anything else. He just got in the kid's head he'll have to learn to deal with that stuff or he will suffer.

I am always amused by how quick folks are to label a player a whiner when he merely answers a question he was asked

Because honestly things that are said on the ice should stay on the ice. Keep it out the media. It is just like in football. What is said on the field in battle should stay there. You have every right to say no comment. And it would be the end of it.

I think it's quite likely the case, as I mentioned in the other thread. The possibility exists that it was on purpose (I honestly doubt it) but either way.

I am always amused by how quick folks are to label a player a whiner when he merely answers a question he was asked, and particularly when the player has no history of complaining. It's not like he brought it up, after all, and hell: whenever McDavid was asked about it last year, he repeatedly said that he didn't think it was a dirty play even though media people clearly hoped he would, for the controversy it would generate. He's always said that what is said on the ice should stay there, so... people that would call him a whiner may not really know what he's really like, or may not have given this quite as much thought as they could.

Generally, you can't get the kid to answer a question before he runs his Interview v3.04 software, so it's not like he's grousing all the time, like Sidney and Gretz had a habit of doing. I'm not defending him, mind you (I don't make a habit of defending people I don't know from a hole in the ground), and think he should have seen it as Manning trying to get under his skin. Is it a dick move to infer that it was on purpose after the kid defended him to the media? If true, it kind of is, but so what? This is where McDavid could have continued to keep the on-ice stuff on the ice.

In the end, they each referred to the other as classless, and I think they're probably both wrong, and I don't think it makes either one a whiner.

Never known him to be a whiner. 

And I'll never understand the "poke the bear" mentality. When Hatcher crosschecked Crosby, I thought it was the stupidest thing he could have done. There's nothing wrong with trying to get a guy off his game (and with Crosby it used to be quite easy) but there's also no reason to give a star player motivation to kick your arse. McDavid is 19. Philly probably wasn't even on his radar... playing on the Oilers. Now they are.

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Too many other guys involved in it to be anything else. He just got in the kid's head he'll have to learn to deal with that stuff or he will suffer.

Pretty sure McDavid has had guys try and get into his head for..lets see, he's 19...about 10 years anyway. I don't see the suffer.

3 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

but there's also no reason to give a star player motivation to kick your arse

I don't really believe in this...something is already wrong if you need OTHER motivation...just my 2 cents...i mean you may hear guys say this but it's usually only after they know the results and have won otherwise you never hear this type of stuff or they say that it isn't true...

4 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Pretty sure McDavid has had guys try and get into his head for..lets see, he's 19...about 10 years anyway. I don't see the suffer.

Well from what i saw of the last of the game he had one goal on the PP versus the Flyers blueline i say the results were obvious check the score board....hardly what i would call "an extra motivated" game from him..so yeah he suffered to me...the results.

He'll have to learn to keep people out his head in the future. It is ok he is human after all....

:toast:

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

I don't really believe in this...something is already wrong if you need OTHER motivation...just my 2 cents...i mean you may hear guys say this but it's usually only after they know the results and have won otherwise you never hear this type of stuff or they say that it isn't true...

I play beer league. There's a guy on another team we call Motivational Joe. He's a big guy with a wicked shot and a huge crybaby. We try and kick their ass every time we play them. Just cause of him.

You don't think Crosby has had extra motivation to beat the Flyers since Hatcher crosschecked him in the face? 

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well from what i saw of the last of the game he had one goal on the PP versus the Flyers blueline i say the results were obvious check the score board....hardly what i would call "an extra motivated" game from him..so yeah he suffered to me...the results.

He'll have to learn to keep people out his head in the future. It is ok he is human after all....

:toast:

He had 2 points. I'm sure McDavid will take 2 points all game every game. 

The loss on the other hand....and that's hardly on him.

9 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

He had 2 points. I'm sure McDavid will take 2 points all game every game. 

The loss on the other hand....and that's hardly on him.

And i'm sure Manning will take the win every time...and give him his 2 measly points!

14 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I play beer league. There's a guy on another team we call Motivational Joe. He's a big guy with a wicked shot and a huge crybaby. We try and kick their ass every time we play them. Just cause of him.

You don't think Crosby has had extra motivation to beat the Flyers since Hatcher crosschecked him in the face? 

No i think he hates the Flyers and should Hatcher has nothing to do with it really.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

And i'm sure Manning will take the win every time...and give him his 2 measly points!

Of course. 

I don't have an issue with Mannings play. Which may have had an effect on the win. I have an issue with what he said...if he did in fact say he meant to injure him..which had zero effect on the win, but which may motivate Mr. Generational Talent everytime the Flyers play him. 

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

No i think he hates the Flyers and should Hatcher has nothing to do with it really.

I agree he hates the Flyers. 

And that all started with Hatcher. It likely doesn't factor over a decade later, but I'd bet my awesome hockey career :eyeroll: it motivated an 18 year old kid back then. 

Archived