"He's getting close to being an NHL player," Phantoms coach Scott Gordon says

NRH

43 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

F**k the numbers!

I go by what i see. I don't have to see numbers.

I'm sure you may find numbers that say Mcdud is useful...i don't care! I paid for this season on Gamecenter so i want to see competitive hockey. 

Coots has skills i'm not a hater i'm just calling him out for not giving effort!

So yeah i would entertain a trade for him.

And Giroux has disappeared since right aftee the streak ended it seems but he is it seems a golden boy....and well that is another conversation but i hold him accountable to.

I hear what you're saying, I understand your frustration and I TOTALLY agree on Giroux.  I'm just saying that what you're seeing happen, as frustrating and enraging at it is when you see it, it's quite likely that it would happen more often with Duchene.  

2 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I hear what you're saying, I understand your frustration and I TOTALLY agree on Giroux.  I'm just saying that what you're seeing happen, as frustrating and enraging at it is when you see it, it's quite likely that it would happen more often with Duchene.  

Yeah well Duchene is a 5 time 20 goal scorer (6 if you count lockout shorten season) and put up 30 last year...something Coots, Schenn, Giroux and Jake can't even say they have done.

Just sayin....Flyers need goals and he can provide it.

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah well Duchene is a 5 time 20 goal scorer (6 if you count lockout shorten season) and put up 30 last year...something Coots, Schenn, Giroux and Jake can't even say they have done.

Just sayin....Flyers need goals and he can provide it.

But they don't need goals.  Not really.  They're 8th in the league.  1 goal shy of 7th.  

They're tied for dead last in goals against.  

More goals never hurt, but frankly, if those goals come at the cost of even more goals against, they're not going to be any more competitive and they're going to probably win even less.

I'm pissed and frustrated too, but I think the best way to produce more wins and more competitive hockey is to sure up the Defense and clean up play in their own end and start making better first passes.  

The stats show that Matty D doesn't enter the zone well, doesn't control in the zone well, gives up more opportunities the other way than he creates and those opportunities turn into goals against more often than the ones he creates turn into goals for.  

I'd need some different kind of convincing to explain how trading him for a guy of whom the exact opposite is true is going to help this team be more competitive.  

8 minutes ago, King Knut said:

But they don't need goals.  Not really.  They're 8th in the league.  1 goal shy of 7th.  

They're tied for dead last in goals against.  

More goals never hurt, but frankly, if those goals come at the cost of even more goals against, they're not going to be any more competitive and they're going to probably win even less.

I'm pissed and frustrated too, but I think the best way to produce more wins and more competitive hockey is to sure up the Defense and clean up play in their own end and start making better first passes.  

The stats show that Matty D doesn't enter the zone well, doesn't control in the zone well, gives up more opportunities the other way than he creates and those opportunities turn into goals against more often than the ones he creates turn into goals for.  

I'd need some different kind of convincing to explain how trading him for a guy of whom the exact opposite is true is going to help this team be more competitive.  

What?

You always want more goals.

In fact they have got shutout 3 times since December 22nd.

So yeah you can always use goals. In fact one more than you give up is all you need to win!

36 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

What?

So yeah you can always use goals. In fact one more than you give up is all you need to win!

More goals are always nice.  Adding more goals for at the cost of even more goals against is just going to make this Flyers team more frustrating.  

You only need to score one more goal than you let in, that's correct.  The flip side is also true.  You only need to give up one less goal than you score.  Duchene in particular gives up more than he scores.   Many more than Coots or Giroux.  

Again, if the Flyers were near the bottom of the league in goals scored (as they have been for several years) and near the top of the league in goals allowed, I'd cede your point enthusiastically.  But they're near the top in goals scored and at the absolute bottom in goals against.  The Caps, Jackets and Wild are near the top of the league in both departments.  That's what you want.  

I'm confident that when the Defense improves, not only will the goals against plummet, but that the goals for will rise.  

12 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Sure.  A bad team that still gives up fewer goals than the Flyers.  

Yeah Avs have given up 136 Flyers have given up 144....yet they have also played 5 more games than the Avs. So nah not buying it.

8 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah Avs have given up 136 Flyers have given up 144....yet they have also played 5 more games than the Avs. So nah not buying it.

That's just because you're being stubborn.  The Flyers would have to be in a completely different area code than the Avs for your point to hold any water. As it is (and you have a point about the games played) if you average it out and the Flyers give up a whopping .18 goals a game less than the AVs.  Which means they're both HORRIBLE teams defensively. 

Even if we go by goals against per game, the Avs are the worse and the Flyers are the third worst.  BIG DIFFERENCE!

Goals for per game and the Flyers are still top 12 in the league which puts them in the middle, but above the median.  The Differential is still a sum negative.  

The fact that the AVs have a league worse goals for per game does suggest that Duchene and Landeskog could be even better scorers elsewhere, I'll give you that.  But the overall picture does't instill an iota of confidence that either one makes a huge difference if they simply replace the pieces we have that ARE working as far as the overall differential is concerned. 

What this team needs is a strong defensive core so all three forwards do not constantly have to play defense every shift.

After that, where they really need a guy like Duchene is at Left Wing so Raffl can fall back to the third line where he belongs.  

Even as much as I love Jake and Simmer, they're not snipers.  They're not natural goal scorers.  They work their buns off to create opportunities which is equally important, but that's where their talent lies.  They're not snipers.  This team needs god a given sniper and two wouldn't kill us.  

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

What?

Or one less than you score.

Which style works better in the playoffs? I'll take the defensively responsible one every time.

40 minutes ago, King Knut said:

That's just because you're being stubborn.  The Flyers would have to be in a completely different area code than the Avs for your point to hold any water. As it is (and you have a point about the games played) if you average it out and the Flyers give up a whopping .18 goals a game less than the AVs.  Which means they're both HORRIBLE teams defensively. 

Even if we go by goals against per game, the Avs are the worse and the Flyers are the third worst.  BIG DIFFERENCE!

Goals for per game and the Flyers are still top 12 in the league which puts them in the middle, but above the median.  The Differential is still a sum negative.  

The fact that the AVs have a league worse goals for per game does suggest that Duchene and Landeskog could be even better scorers elsewhere, I'll give you that.  But the overall picture does't instill an iota of confidence that either one makes a huge difference if they simply replace the pieces we have that ARE working as far as the overall differential is concerned. 

What this team needs is a strong defensive core so all three forwards do not constantly have to play defense every shift.

After that, where they really need a guy like Duchene is at Left Wing so Raffl can fall back to the third line where he belongs.  

Even as much as I love Jake and Simmer, they're not snipers.  They're not natural goal scorers.  They work their buns off to create opportunities which is equally important, but that's where their talent lies.  They're not snipers.  This team needs god a given sniper and two wouldn't kill us.  

I hear ya kettle.

36 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Or one less than you score.

Which style works better in the playoffs? I'll take the defensively responsible one every time.

Yeah i hear you the defensive responsible one who lost game 6 to the Caps 1-0...yep makes since to me no way they could of used one more goal!

You can always use a goal scorer ask Giroux and Jake...

On 1/16/2017 at 11:22 AM, Adamflyers said:

It is encouraging to hear that he is developing.  It seems like forever since he was drafted, but they admitted from the start that he was going to be a project.  Let's hope we see our patience pay off soon.

I think what makes it seem like it's taking Morin so long is that he was one of the youngest players drafted his draft year. I say everything that's happening with Morin is advantageous to his development. If you look at bigger defenders when they were drafted, they really didn't do anything in the NHL until their fifth to seventh season. Most of them bypassed the AHL as well. So, if Morin is getting his time in down there, when he comes up, he'll have had the time to put in the work in his game.

He was rail thin when drafted, he started putting on weight every year afterwards and now that he's in Lehigh Valley, he gets to improve his footwork, add more weight to his frame and work on positioning while not being exposed at the NHL level. He'll also get to lower his center of gravity with more mass added to his lower body, which will only help his skating and footwork as he'll be harder to knock off the puck. More important, he's going to be able to steam roll guys as a result (which we've seen this year in the AHL). More important, now that Morin is playing within the circles and not along the boards, he's not expending as much energy skating to get pucks. He really is becoming a Derian Hatcher type player, but with better mobility. I don't care what anyone says - you can't win a Stanley Cup if your defense corps doesn't have a mean and nasty stay at home defender who can skate and move the puck. That's what Morin will bring to the table.

8 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah i hear you the defensive responsible one who lost game 6 to the Caps 1-0...yep makes since to me no way they could of used one more goal!

Because when I think of powerhouse playoff teams that go deep every year the first team that pops into my head is the Caps..:check:

8 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

You can always use a goal scorer ask Giroux and Jake...

You mean like Ovechkin? He of ZERO cups? 

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Because when I think of powerhouse playoff teams that go deep every year the first team that pops into my head is the Caps..:check:

You mean like Ovechkin? He of ZERO cups? 

Doesn't matter powerhouse or not if you can't get pass them then why bother making the playoffs then.

Not about how far the opposition goes it's about how far the Flyers go.

As far as AO zero cups sure no arguement there. If Flyers want one they need to learn how to beat his team.

Period.

Doesn't matter powerhouse or not if you can't get pass them then why bother making the playoffs then.

Think we've had this discussion in previous years...making the playoffs isn't my goal as a Flyer fan. 

Not about how far the opposition goes it's about how far the Flyers go.

As far as AO zero cups sure no arguement there. If Flyers want one they need to learn how to beat his team.

Period.

Exactly. And I don't see many NHL coaches wanting to get into a shootout with the Caps....you beat them defensively. Which was my point from the get go.

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Think we've had this discussion in previous years...making the playoffs isn't my goal as a Flyer fan. 

Exactly. And I don't see many NHL coaches wanting to get into a shootout with the Caps....you beat them defensively. Which was my point from the get go.

ok

1 hour ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

So, who gets the first call up?  I've read this thread about Morin being "almost" ready.  I've also read that Hagg is closest to being ready and that Sanheim is ready to be called up.  Who is it gonna be?

Kevin Marshall i think he is ready now...

11 hours ago, Bertmega said:

I'll see your Marshall and raise you one Nodl.

Marshall is in Europe. His 10 game NHL career is over lol. I wish we'd picked Subban two picks later.

Nodl is back home in Austria.

Ahh the glory days!

Now we have a LW arsenal of Raffl, Cousins, Weise, and VandeVelde.

:ph34r:

13 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

So, who gets the first call up?  I've read this thread about Morin being "almost" ready.  I've also read that Hagg is closest to being ready and that Sanheim is ready to be called up.  Who is it gonna be?

Seriously now...move the dead weight off the roster...after Mcdud is sent down and call Hagg up to play...see where he is at so we don't have to guess...

...he is looks good then you can move any of Schultz, MDZ or Streit to make room for him...

...if he isn't ready...return him...

Archived