2017 DOOKIE AWARDS!

WordsOfWisdom

@WordsOfWisdom

Hehehe....the Dookie still lives...methinks I created a monster.... :)

Ok, ok...are the Avs actually MATHEMATICALLY eliminated, or are you just awarding this to a team that anyone from Helen Keller to Stevie Wonder to Pierre McGuire knows will be the first eliminated?

If so, I applaud you sir.

Can't say you have good 'foresight', because, well, it's the Avs, but still, I applaud you. :eyeroll:

2 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

@WordsOfWisdom

Hehehe....the Dookie still lives...methinks I created a monster.... :)

Ok, ok...are the Avs actually MATHEMATICALLY eliminated, or are you just awarding this to a team that anyone from Helen Keller to Stevie Wonder to Pierre McGuire knows will be the first eliminated?

If so, I applaud you sir.

Can't say you have good 'foresight', because, well, it's the Avs, but still, I applaud you. :eyeroll:

LOL.  Yeah I almost forgot! :)

According to sportsclubstats.com, the Avs are mathematically eliminated. 

(Take with grain of salt because they made a few mistakes last year.)  

• 2 weeks later...

@WordsOfWisdom

Alright, now I know you've already given out the Dookie to the Avs (and well deserved I might add), but I just noticed on the ESPN standings, Colorado OFFICIALLY has the big "E" put next to their name.

Yep. "E" in this case stands for Dookie. Prime Dookie at that...haha.

So there you have it, folks.

Officially, the Colorado Avalanche are the proud owners of the 1st 2017 Dookie Award. Isn't that grand? ;)

Now...for the next likely Dookie grabber.....

New Jersey? Arizona? DETROIT!!??  Yea, seeing the Red Wings digging for a Dookie this early does seem kinda strange, but they are starting to move the bowels as we speak..........

The Devils are trying as hard as they can to be the next eliminated with a 10 game losing streak, including back to back losses to Colorado and Arizona. They finish the seaaon with Detroit, which could be a battle for better lottery odds. I remember when they used to battle for being the most successful team in the league.:ermm:

• 2 weeks later...

A pack of Dookies to the following:

The New Jersey Devils

The Vancouver Canucks

The Arizona Coyotes

Well earned boys, well earned.

Ya didn't put forth the Dookie effort like the Avs did, but hey, you did your best and have high draft picks to look forward to.

Errr, don't dookie THAT now, k? :ahappy:

Its funny because I think on some level, we all thought replacing Roy as head coach would be a GOOD thing for the club.

Roy was not happy with some of the personnel and wanted more input. It is not surprising given how much he obviously disliked Tyson Barrie that he quit shortly after they extended Barrie.

In any case, Sakic has not proven to be a good GM in any capacity. Some of his moves are baffling. He is not Benning bad, but he is not good either. Duchene, who grew up LOVING the Avalanche must have his dreams and psyche completely shattered at this point and it is showing in his play. Ever worked a job you used to love but just can't get motivated to do your best for anymore because it is a toxic environment?

Man Colorado, what happened?

1 hour ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Its funny because I think on some level, we all thought replacing Roy as head coach would be a GOOD thing for the club.

Roy was not happy with some of the personnel and wanted more input. It is not surprising given how much he obviously disliked Tyson Barrie that he quit shortly after they extended Barrie.

In any case, Sakic has not proven to be a good GM in any capacity. Some of his moves are baffling. He is not Benning bad, but he is not good either. Duchene, who grew up LOVING the Avalanche must have his dreams and psyche completely shattered at this point and it is showing in his play. Ever worked a job you used to love but just can't get motivated to do your best for anymore because it is a toxic environment?

Man Colorado, what happened?

And the cupboard is bare.  Their AHL affiliate is here in San Antonio.  The best player on the team is Rocco Grimaldi and he is barely a fringe NHLer.  The worst team in the NHL and virtually no prospects in the pipeline is not a good combination.  Sakic is a god in the Colorado organization so I predict he'll get a promotion to bring in a new GM.

Colorado is like the new Edmonton (before Chiarelli). Talented forwards, weak defense, and questionable goaltending (although Varlamov has at least shown some ability in the past). Plus not a lot of quality depth in the system outside of the high picks. 

Come on Devils, you're only 4 points up on Arizona. You can still finish 29th instead of 27th or 28th. Although Vancouver is coming on strong in the tank department.

Ohhh, boy...and the droppings are passing faster than we are keeping up with them here! :biggrin:

We've already seen Colorado, Arizona, New Jersey, and Vancouver claim the top 4 Dookies, but we have some others. Yessir, the NHL will continue to use the doggie park till mid June.

First, let's take care of the NON surprise Dookies that presented after the top 4, shall we?

The Buffalo Sabres.

Being presented the 5th 2017 Elimination Award.

Good young up n coming team.........who, not surprisingly, was simply not yet ready for prime time this year. The BEST thing this franchise did this year was to block off certain Buffalo fans who insisted on re-acquiring Ryan Miller and signing him to a 6 yr contract!

Phew! Disaster averted! Otherwise, Buffalo could have been a regular diner at Dookie's Café for YEARS more to come!

I'll give credit: This team has improved by leaps n bounds from the joke of a team they had become in recent seasons, but they still have quite a climb to get out of Dookville, even more so to raise a Cup. If they stay the course, maybe they avoid early brown platters next year...but for now, sir Buffalo, your hot steaming pile is served. Enjoy with your golf.

The Winnipeg Jets.

Some people may be surprised by their early entry into the Dookie sweepstakes, but I can honestly say I wasn't.

I present the Jets with the NHL's 6th Dookie award and I think they are about right where they should...and will continue to be...until they can get more team consistency in ALL facets of their game.

I mean, some games they look like Cup contenders, some games, they looked like it was their first time out on the ice together. IMO, the differences were THAT stark in 2016-17! They have size, they have speed, they have drive (well sometimes), but inconsistent scoring and hit or miss goaltending simply isn't going to cut it in the Central Division.

If they address some issues in the off season, maybe they avoid the Dookie early bird special next year.

Ok, now for some slightly surprising early Dookie winners.

To the Detroit Red Wings, I present the 7th Dookie award!

Yes, you heard me right. The Detroit Freakin Red Wings. They of the 25 year playoff streak. By the boards. Done. Fini. Caput. Down the drain. Passed...into the toilet, as only Dookies can.

Some fans may view them as a non surprise early Dookie winner as they had been in decline for some time now, but still, as long as I have been a hockey fan, Detroit has been synonymous with playoffs and Cups, so for me, seeing them take a big bite of Dookie pie so soon is surprising.

The head scratching thing is, they DO have some pretty good young talent on the team, but for whatever reason, have not been able to put things together in a way that has them compete at a higher level than what they had this season.

Oh well, all good things must come to an end and thus the Wings will be teeing it up sooner than they are used to. Perhaps it is Ken Holland's cue to exit stage left?

The Dallas Stars.

8th Dookie Award winners.

Prolific offense hampered by so-so defense and mediocre to horrendous goaltending...oh my, and the money tied up in those netminders!

To be fair, the offense wasn't as dangerous this year as they were the last couple seasons for various reasons. I wouldn't be surprised to see this team bounce back and make the post season next year if they can get their offense rolling like they can...even with the sideshow goaltending.

But for the here and now, Captain Jamie Benn and his former Minnesota North Stars can put a not so shiny Dookie award on their mantles as a reminder of what could have been in 2016-17....

The Florida Panthers.

9th Dookie Award winners.

What the hell happened here!?

These guys were supposed to be on the up n up, instead they find themselves on the wrong side of the NHL's anus and facing free fall into the spinning abyss of a flushing toilet! :o:

What gives man!??

Sure, this team, even last year, was not the most consistent, but with the nice mixture of young and older talent, some still decent goaltending from Roberto Lu, and speed to burn, this team SHOULD have been better than what they showed in 2016-17.

Perhaps it was a depth thing that did them in. For all the good talent they have, it looks like they simply were not equipped to deal with the loss of key pieces such as Jonathan Huberdeau, Jaromir Jagr, and Roberto Luongo for any length of time...and perhaps some of their vets like the aforementioned Jagr and Shawn Thornton are simply being caught up, finally, by Father Time.

Whatever the reason, the Panthers are gonna have to retool a bit...perhaps address their depth issue, see who they need to really push up the ranks and who needs to be shown the door. They may be back to post season contention next year if they do.

But right now, have a seat Mr. Panthers, your Dookie is served!

On 3/27/2017 at 7:36 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

A pack of Dookies to the following:

The New Jersey Devils

The Vancouver Canucks

The Arizona Coyotes

Well earned boys, well earned.

Ya didn't put forth the Dookie effort like the Avs did, but hey, you did your best and have high draft picks to look forward to.

Errr, don't dookie THAT now, k? :ahappy:

Here's the regular (non-golden) Dookie award:

DookieAward.jpg

6 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

These guys were supposed to be on the up n up, instead they find themselves on the wrong side of the NHL's anus and facing free fall into the spinning abyss of a flushing toilet! :o:

(Can't stop laughing...)  :lovethis:

@WordsOfWisdom

My apologies, I forgot that the FIRST elimination only garnered the special golden Dookie.

Man, that just means that all the other teams who get eliminated after the Avs just get a plain ol lead/tin crapping dog.....talk about salt in the wound!

At least the Avs get something shiny... ;)

1 minute ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

@WordsOfWisdom

My apologies, I forgot that the FIRST elimination only garnered the special golden Dookie.

Man, that just means that all the other teams who get eliminated after the Avs just get a plain ol lead/tin crapping dog.....talk about salt in the wound!

At least the Avs get something shiny... ;)

The Av's had to work extra hard to suck so badly lol!   :)

(Side note: The Leafs won it last year. Talk about coming a long way in one year!) 

Archived