Bernier

Podein25

Figured I'd start a thread specifically on Jonathan Bernier after seeing this Tweet:

He's UFA. I think you could do a lot worse than him on a short term cap friendly deal while we wait for the kids.

Discuss

44 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

Mason, Bernier, it doesnt matter. they're both in the same category. Whoever will sign the better deal for us

You may be right. But I'm starting to think Mason can't be consistent enough.

29 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Neither is Bernier. Regardless of who we sign, it can't be for long term or for too much (3 years max, around $4-5m). They're all placeholders until one of Stolarz, or Hart, or Sandstrom, or whoever else we have in the system is ready. Until then, Hextall is probably going with the assumption that our future #1 goalie is already in the our system 

1 minute ago, RJ8812 said:

Neither is Bernier. Regardless of who we sign, it can't be for long term or for too much (3 years max, around $4-5m). They're all placeholders until one of Stolarz, or Hart, or Sandstrom, or whoever else we have in the system is ready. Until then, Hextall is probably going with the assumption that our future #1 goalie is already in the our system 

I think Bernier as a backup could be had cheaper than that. But yeah, I don't think anybody disagrees with your statement

Bernier got the shaft in Toronto. He's always been a much better goalie than what he showed in Toronto. Part of it was having to split time with Reimer (which did both goalies no favours) and then being in Toronto when he wasn't exactly wanted by Babcock in company. I'd have no problems with Bernier in Philadelphia on a one year prove it deal. Don't forget either that Bernier has history with Hextall and Dillabaugh, so that could go a long way as well.

5 hours ago, Podein25 said:

I'm listening. $$$$$$ may change my mind. Not on a long deal either. 2 years i'd be ok with.

On 3/25/2017 at 11:36 AM, Podein25 said:

Figured I'd start a thread specifically on Jonathan Bernier after seeing this Tweet:

He's UFA. I think you could do a lot worse than him on a short term cap friendly deal while we wait for the kids.

Discuss

If he played on a weak defensive team like the Flyers, he'd be 0-7-1, just like he was with the Leafs.  :blink[1]:

Bernier had every opportunity to be "the guy" in Toronto and failed. No other team is going to give him the same opportunity that he had in Toronto. 

I'm with @WordsOfWisdom, Bernier's had his chances and hasn't managed to carve much of a place for himself. I think there are many goalies who could play very well behind this year's Ducks team. They've got a solid line of dmen in particular to make his life much much easier. Next year's O&B bull line looks set to include 1-3 rookies. I don't like any goalie's chances in a situation like that.

That said, he would likely be about the same as Mason really. If Stolarz isn't on the way up, Bernier might be an alright option on a very short deal. I'm inclined to believe Stolarz will be in the big leagues next year, so it's likely going to be a Neuvirth/Stolarz combo.

On 3/25/2017 at 11:36 AM, Podein25 said:

Discuss

I'd mentioned him as a possible stop gap a while back.  Nice to see that he's playing well right now.  Of course the ducks aren't exactly a bad team to begin with, and he'd have his work cut out for him.

In the way back, it was sort of a toss up as to whether it would be Bernie or Quick that would win the job in LA.  Quick had a jump on Bernie so he won out and much like Boucher 15 years ago, Bernier was a decent goalie who probably could/should have been a #1 somewhere with the right setting and coaching was sent to wander in the wilderness.  

I like the idea, especially if he can be had for less money or a shorter duration than Mason.

23 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I'm with @WordsOfWisdom, Bernier's had his chances and hasn't managed to carve much of a place for himself. I think there are many goalies who could play very well behind this year's Ducks team. They've got a solid line of dmen in particular to make his life much much easier. Next year's O&B bull line looks set to include 1-3 rookies. I don't like any goalie's chances in a situation like that.

That said, he would likely be about the same as Mason really. If Stolarz isn't on the way up, Bernier might be an alright option on a very short deal. I'm inclined to believe Stolarz will be in the big leagues next year, so it's likely going to be a Neuvirth/Stolarz combo.

I'm really really really hoping that Hextall and McPhee have an under the table hush hush deal in place for Vegas to draft Neuwirth.  IT was being reported at the time that McPhee was making a lot of these deals and the NHL was happy to just look the other way to help ease the transition for everyone.  

Add to that the mystery of why the heck Hextall would overspend for the goalie his team clearly didn't value as much (he's started what? once since the deal?) and there are a few things to make one go "hmmm"

That said, if Neuvirth is around, the hope is that Stolarz is the Starter and Neuvy the backup and Hart will get some call up time with Neuvy is inevitably injured and Sandstrom gets the AHL starts he'll benefit from.  

Somewhere in the back of my head though, I assume Hextall and his scouts are thinking that Sandstrom is the eventual #1 with one of Stolarz or Hart being the long term backup and the other being traded for a key piece at the deadline.  Just my hunch.

All in all, I'd much rather have Bernier for a year or two to bridge the gap than Neuwirth.  

6 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I like the idea, especially if he can be had for less money or a shorter duration than Mason.

This is the key reason for my interest in him: you'd be getting a starter at a backup salary, potentially.

On 3/25/2017 at 5:50 PM, OccamsRazor said:

I'm listening. $$$$$$ may change my mind. Not on a long deal either. 2 years i'd be ok with.

I think you've hit the nail on the head.  Mason will want at least 3.  Let him have it in Dallas with Reese.

Bernier will likely be more open to a shorter deal as his career has been less settled.  

I'd even take Bernier on a 3-4 year deal at a lower cap hit going with the assumption that after a year or so he'll recede to the backup support role.  

Archived