Flyers name Knoblauch as assistant coach

brelic

2 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Great article on his coaching style (offensive philosophy).....

https://the1stpass.wordpress.com/2017/05/28/erie-otters-transition-game-a-theory-on-creating-offence/

Nice but Flyers will have to get rid of some bad habits for a system like that to work...by that i mean get the puck and move it by passing it instead of like i have seen them do endlessly is keep till the last second till the opposition is in their passing lane and then they pass it and it ends up deflected and usually ends up going the other way.

You can't be a puck hog and think yoi can make every play when the opportunity presents itself to make a clean crisp pass take it. Always easier to move the puck up ice passing than skating it.

They can do it...but will they do it!!??

I really like this hire. The guy is a smart dude. His Erie Otters faced off against my Spits a lot, including the Memorial Cup tourny that just concluded. He's great at creating set plays, formation on the pp. Very adept at playing to specific players strong points and builds around that. Hopefully, his asst coaching duties entail some of this stuff, it's one of his strengths. Seems to play a LOT of attention to detail. For instance, I noticed all the Otters were dumping the puck into the Windsor zone making Stanley play the puck on his backhand, which is a bit more awkward for him, he prefers forehand to handle the puck, so they actually knew and scouted which side he prefered....at least that is how I saw it.

EDIT....Spits lost their coach today also....Rocky Thompson will be the head coach of the Chicago Wolves, the primary farm club for the Vegas franchise.

10 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Nice but Flyers will have to get rid of some bad habits for a system like that to work...by that i mean get the puck and move it by passing it instead of like i have seen them do endlessly is keep till the last second till the opposition is in their passing lane and then they pass it and it ends up deflected and usually ends up going the other way.

You can't be a puck hog and think yoi can make every play when the opportunity presents itself to make a clean crisp pass take it. Always easier to move the puck up ice passing than skating it.

They can do it...but will they do it!!??

you just described the job of a coach.I reckon we'll see if he's any good at his job.

nice to hear about his PP prowess.  i also hope he was brought in to work more directly with the younger players and take primary responsibility for their development.  not sure, as an NHL head coach, that Hakstol has the bandwidth to run the team and dedicate sufficient time to working with the young players.  With the youth waiting in the wings (literally and figuratively), I think it makes sense to have an assistant charged with their development.  This guy seems like a good fit in that regard.

in terms of his system play, it's all well and good that his teams played uptempo and were strong in transition.  but, it also helps to have the horses to run the system, which he had in Erie.  not so sure he will have that here (at least not off the bat).

Edited to add: i'm not sure this guy was brought in to put pressure on Hakstol or be his replacement if he were to be let go.  if Hakstol were to be let go, I'd be somewhat surprised if they went with another coach without significant NHL experience as a replacement.  my point is that I don't think there's much to be read into this hiring as some articles out there might suggest.

23 hours ago, jammer2 said:

I really like this hire.

I have to say i'm excited for this as well. He sounds like he can help a great bit. Hak has said some great things about him so maybe they form some great chemistry.

There is no Connor Mcdavid in the club's ranks i give you that but from Claude to Jake and Ivan and Ghost, TK and Sanheim and in time Myers as well as other not mentioned man he will have a lot of skill to work with.

That as a coach is about all you can ask for to be given a lot of skill to work with and mold to help them collectively grow towards the ultimate goal....Lord Stanley!!!

daffy_fapping.gif

Now one more good draft to come to add more skill to the stable...the future is looking bright.

21 hours ago, vis said:

Edited to add: i'm not sure this guy was brought in to put pressure on Hakstol or be his replacement if he were to be let go.  if Hakstol were to be let go, I'd be somewhat surprised if they went with another coach without significant NHL experience as a replacement.  my point is that I don't think there's much to be read into this hiring as some articles out there might suggest.

The way I see it, Knoch is not a threat at all to Hak. He's a smart coach who paid his dues in the OHL, and is now looking to get his feet wet in the NHL. Of course, his goal will be to eventually get his own NHL gig, but a good chance the Flyers get 3-5 years of solid coaching out of him before he is ready to fly the coop. Inevitably, good coaches get their chance, after they have proven to be smart and consistant. You really want your guys to go on and have success, It's a sign that Hexy knows coaching prowess when he sees it, just like players.

On 6/7/2017 at 0:39 PM, flyercanuck said:

if you're going to hire a junior coach, there aren't any better. Erie has been a powerhouse under his guide. As an assistant I have zero problem with this.

I read he has some unique training drills the Flyers can use!!!

:beer:

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/7/2017 at 4:50 PM, hf101 said:

I wonder if Hextall will be signing FA Darrin Raddysh now that Knoblach is onboard?

A Right shot defensman who put up 81 pts in 62 games last year with the Otters.

NHL’s Chicago Blackhawks, announced today that they have agreed to terms with defenseman Darren Raddysh on a one-year AHL contract. 

http://www.icehogs.com/news/icehogs/?article_id=5696

On 6/7/2017 at 4:50 PM, hf101 said:

I wonder if Hextall will be signing FA Darrin Raddysh now that Knoblach is onboard?

A Right shot defensman who put up 81 pts in 62 games last year with the Otters.

Sure.  Anything that could help the Flyers' defense. 

50 minutes ago, jkgrossman said:

Never mind.... The Blackhawks got him.

Have to say, I'm not surprised by this.  The Hawks can pencil him in as a top 6 d-man rather easily for an entry level contract.

Archived