What is left after day one?

668660380.0.jpg  Lots of signings yesterday from a weak class of free agents, Jumbo still a Shark, lots of housekeeping as teams sign their own and add middle pair d-men and second line forwards and the goalie carousel spins. Here is what is left:

ALEX RADULOV:  Rumors are that he is returning to Montreal, term the issue.

PATRICK MARLEAU: Stars and Leafs supposedly trying to lure him with three year deal.

SHANE DOAN JAROME IGINLA and JARIMIR JAGR: both old farts still want to play, someone will give them a shot on the third line.

JIRI HUDLER ALEX HEMSKY CHRIS NEIL AND JUSSI JOKINEN more of the same

THOMAS VANEK probably the best player besides Radulov left. sadly.

PIRRI, DESHARNAIS, GIONTA, JIMMY HAYES, GRIGORENKO. about it.

DEFENSE

CODY FRANSON AND ROMAN POLAK probably will sign as bottom six somewhere today.

BEAUCHEMIN, BRYAN CAMPBELL, ODUYA, WIDEMAN and SEIDENBERG old geezers who will all bring something to the table short term to someone.

So there was not much cream in this crop anyway and even less now, Marleau, Radulov, Vanek, and from there a bunch of old guys with a few underacheiving kids mixed in. Nothing left in net to speak of.

I'd agree Alex Radulov is the best player left, but I think the main reason he is still without a team is that most are worried bout him jumping ship yet again to the KHL.

Especially if his camp is asking for a lot of money.

He could find himself a team TODAY if the term and money he is asking for would be reasonable. Even if the threat of him taking his ball and going home were there, for the right price, many teams would take that chance.

Then again, who knows how many bridges this man has burnt already.....maybe many locker rooms would treat him coldly..and he KNOWS it...

We will see. 

As for others, hmm...

For about $950K-$1M or so per (probably 2 years max), I would give Jimmy Hayes a shot for a bottom six, big bodied winger.

Prior to last season, he put up a respectable (for a bottom six winger that is) 30'ish points.

Problem was, people were expecting more than that from him based on his Boston College and AHL numbers.

Looks like, at age 27, 6'4 220,  that a bottom six winger position with about 30-35 points a year is what he will top out at...and the salary should match.

Lowered expectations for him could ease him into a useful 3rd or 4th line winger for just about any team I think.

And yea, Cody Franson and Cro-Magnon Roman Polak are the "class" of the leftover defensemen.

Not mentioned in the OP's post is Dwight King, another big bodied bottom six player who, for the right price, I think could be useful to a few teams in need of grinders with size.

He, like Jimmy Hayes, is another guy who I think could be capable of a 35 point season or so from the bottom six lines

He was making about 2M the last couple seasons...maybe he takes half that to man a contender's 3rd or 4th line wing position.

7 hours ago, yave1964 said:

668660380.0.jpg  Lots of signings yesterday from a weak class of free agents, Jumbo still a Shark, lots of housekeeping as teams sign their own and add middle pair d-men and second line forwards and the goalie carousel spins. Here is what is left:

ALEX RADULOV:  Rumors are that he is returning to Montreal, term the issue.

PATRICK MARLEAU: Stars and Leafs supposedly trying to lure him with three year deal.

SHANE DOAN JAROME IGINLA and JARIMIR JAGR: both old farts still want to play, someone will give them a shot on the third line.

JIRI HUDLER ALEX HEMSKY CHRIS NEIL AND JUSSI JOKINEN more of the same

THOMAS VANEK probably the best player besides Radulov left. sadly.

PIRRI, DESHARNAIS, GIONTA, JIMMY HAYES, GRIGORENKO. about it.

DEFENSE

CODY FRANSON AND ROMAN POLAK probably will sign as bottom six somewhere today.

BEAUCHEMIN, BRYAN CAMPBELL, ODUYA, WIDEMAN and SEIDENBERG old geezers who will all bring something to the table short term to someone.

So there was not much cream in this crop anyway and even less now, Marleau, Radulov, Vanek, and from there a bunch of old guys with a few underacheiving kids mixed in. Nothing left in net to speak of.

Time for Iginla and Jagr to retire!

39 minutes ago, notfondajane said:

Time for Iginla and Jagr to retire!

And Doan.   I think two out of three end up doing that.

Look, there's really no place for them in the NHL.    I think this was discussed on another thread, but none of them are capable of the speed teams are looking for.   The best any of the three can offer is some veteran leadership (more on that in a moment), 4th line minutes, and maybe some time on the power play.   You really don't want to have them exposed to an opponent's top line.  The line will blow past them.

Here's the thing about veteran leadership.  Age doesn't necessarily bring leadership.  I know they've been that on other teams, but I don't know that a 1 year $1M (or less) rent-a-mule contract necessarily translates to taking leadership in a room.   You end up with a bunch of kids thinking, "I'll be here next year but grandpa will be in Shady Acres."

And then each of the three need to make the personal decision of whether they're willing to play on the 4th line for a million or less just so they can put junior on their knee and tell them about how things used to be done when you could still be slow.

I think probably 2 of the 3 sign or at least does a professional tryout contract in September.  The third, plus 1 of the 2 who try, will go home and call it a career.

3 hours ago, ruxpin said:

And Doan.   I think two out of three end up doing that.

Look, there's really no place for them in the NHL.    I think this was discussed on another thread, but none of them are capable of the speed teams are looking for.   The best any of the three can offer is some veteran leadership (more on that in a moment), 4th line minutes, and maybe some time on the power play.   You really don't want to have them exposed to an opponent's top line.  The line will blow past them.

Here's the thing about veteran leadership.  Age doesn't necessarily bring leadership.  I know they've been that on other teams, but I don't know that a 1 year $1M (or less) rent-a-mule contract necessarily translates to taking leadership in a room.   You end up with a bunch of kids thinking, "I'll be here next year but grandpa will be in Shady Acres."

And then each of the three need to make the personal decision of whether they're willing to play on the 4th line for a million or less just so they can put junior on their knee and tell them about how things used to be done when you could still be slow.

I think probably 2 of the 3 sign or at least does a professional tryout contract in September.  The third, plus 1 of the 2 who try, will go home and call it a career.

Jar should have retired years ago!  

Iginla is cup chasing. I guessing these two retire?

3 hours ago, notfondajane said:

Jar should have retired years ago!  

Iginla is cup chasing. I guessing these two retire?

I'm actually not sure which two. I'm actually thinking Doan decides it's time to go. 

That leaves one of the other two. I'm actually thinking it may be all three but am hedging my bets.  I think maybe it's Jagr that gets offered something in September. Probably from Florida. I'm just not sure whether he takes it or goes home. 

Iginla may not be offered. 

So I guess I'll go with Doan and Iginla retiring.  Jagr is the maybe. 

Archived