The Tyler Seguin trade revisited

jammer2

OK, we have some clarity on the blockbuster 2013 trade that sent 2nd overall pick Tyler Seguin to the Dallas Stars. What a MONUMENTAL blunder by the Bruins. 

The trade was a 4 for 3 swap between Boston and Dallas

Tyler Seguin, Rich Peverly, Craig Button for Riley Smith, Joe Morrow, Loui Eriksson and Matt Fraser. All 4 are now former Bruins. To make this trade even worse, the Bruins took the only respectable return (Riley Smith) and traded him straight up for Jimmy Hayes. The aforementioned 27 year old Hayes just had the final year of his deal bought out by the Bruins. Jimmy's cap hit of 2.3 mill is now spaced out saving the Bruins 1.7 mill of cap space in 2017. 

Hayes was the last remaining piece of the Seguin trade. Riley Smith went on score 20 goals in back to back years for Florida. Jimmy Hayes totaled 34 pts in 133 games as a Bruin, with a -15 for an extra kick in the balls...LOL!

Tyler Seguin has gone on to score 306 pts in 305 games for Dallas....and climbing....WOW. This could very well end up being one of the worst trades in NHL history. Could you imagine skill and speed with Tyler Seguin and David Pasternak paired together. A top pp of Seguin, Bergeron, Pasternak, Krug and maybe a emerging Brandon Carlo?? Um, that would be damn hard to stop that pp....what a MESS!!

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/06/30/jimmy-hayes-bruins-buyout/

A little patience might have helped, but too often it seems GMs need to do whatever it costs to "Win Now".  A motto that may have worked in the 80's and 90's, but in the new cap era this doesn't work.  The Bruins aren't the only franchise to learn this the hard way. 

While the Bruins had a reasonably decent season last year things surely could be a lot brighter right now with Seguin on their roster.

Awful trade at the time and even worse now. Eriksson is soft as a peach and the others were complimentary players at best on their best days. Type of move that goes down in infamy.

27 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

If memory serves, wasn't this trade more about Seguin's off ice behavior more than his play? 

They blamed him for a postseason loss and dealt him away and smeared him as a party boy in the process. 

My opinion of 'off ice behavior' is this, Leo Durocher said nice guys finish last which is not always true but can be, sometimes a chaotic situation with a bunch of guys who live hard off the ice can be self destructive as well, but not always. Give me five Seguin's anmd buy them all the booze they want and line the ladies up around the corner and count the cups. On the ice he is deadly.

Of course it is always possible it took the trade for him to take the game serious. Carter had his own night life issues in Philly but is a model citizen and a star in Los Angeles.

Seguin was nineteen when he had his "off ice issues". I can't honestly say i wouldn't be partying in the same situation. Actually, I can say I likely would have been.

It's not like he was robbing cabbies...and even then, having a mature teammate like Toews helped steer Kane in the right direction.

A little more patience would have went a long way for the Bruins.

3 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Leo Durocher said nice guys finish last

Leo Durocher and Branch Rickey must have been baseball's all-time odd couple. Rickey was extremely religious, and loved to eulogize and preach around the clubhouse, warning the players and coaches about how bad it was to have a life of sleeping with loose women on the Sabbath. Durocher's entire life was pretty much centred around sleeping with loose women on the Sabbath.

In 1945, Durocher had a 33-year old pitcher by the name of Tom Seats, who was getting lit up like a pinball machine early on. Durocher figured the guy's problem was that he was nervous, and ordered him to down a whisky before each start, and Seats did settle down. When Rickey found out, he was indignant that Durocher would do this, and after deciding that Seats would never pitch for the Dodgers again, told Durocher he was damned close to being fired.

Durocher's response was gold: "There's a 'W' column and an 'L' column. I thought when I signed my contract that it was my obligation to put as many under that 'W' as possible, and I'll do whatever it takes."

Seats never did pitch in the majors again, but Durocher managed another 2,831 games, mostly because that 'W' column meant so much to him.

Dallas won this trade for sure. Who cares what players do in their off hours? as long as they aren't doing any kind of criminal activity there's no harm in having a little fun. He's been a superstar on the ice pretty much his whole career and I'm sure any team would love to have him (except for the Bruins of course lol)

15 hours ago, FriendlyGuitarist said:

Dallas won this trade for sure. Who cares what players do in their off hours? as long as they aren't doing any kind of criminal activity there's no harm in having a little fun. He's been a superstar on the ice pretty much his whole career and I'm sure any team would love to have him (except for the Bruins of course lol)

Well from the Bruins standpoint he was out partying during a playoff run, to the point where they had to put someone outside of his room to make sure he didn't leave. That's not something you want players doing.

But they certainly could have been a bit more patient with a teenager. 

From what I remember, Seguin had snuck out numerous times past curfew to drink and party. This happened in the regular season and the playoffs. Apparently, if you believe the Bruins side of the debate, they were forced to put a team employee at the door to stop Seguin from sneaking out. 

First off, the Bruins made this public, instead of handling it in house. This significantly weakened their position when it came time to make a deal. Even with all these odd variables, you DON'T shoot yourself in the foot, AND you don't give up a potential superstar and have the best player coming back as a 20 goal 2nd or 3rd liner...you just DON'T!!! 

If you can't get approximately equal value, you just don't move the asset, simple as that. This is a top 2 pick that had shown all the signs of stardom....STUPID. Another huge mistake, BEFORE they dealt Seguin, the Bruins management was featured in an intermission segment, where all the scouts, GM and upper management were discussing various aspects of how they conduct business.....during that segment, they all stated that Seguin does not play "Bruin hockey" LMAO....another leak and yet another example of putting themselves in an awkward trade position. These jokers messed up at every turn!!

The whole thing reminds me of the infamous "Goose Loonies" incident with the Wings. The night before a pivotal Conference Final game between Edmonton and Detroit, a slew of Wings went out to drink at the Goose Loonies bar. Probert lead the way, but also in attendance was a young Lidstrom and a younger Federov.....they did not get traded....lol. These are newly minted millionaire teenagers who suddenly have the world by the balls....stuff happens. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived