Flyers vs. Bruins tonight!

Kings Redeem LA

@Digitymanand @MaineFlyFan

Thanks for the great summaries. It's like I was there :VeryCool:

It's interesting what you say about Jake.  I remember seeing a spot with him one day after practice and he was so winded, and I mean gasping for air winded.  I thought to myself, 'did he show up to camp out of shape?' 

Again, thanks for taking the time to give us your first hand accounts!!!!

1 hour ago, fan4ever said:

It's interesting what you say about Jake.  I remember seeing a spot with him one day after practice and he was so winded, and I mean gasping for air winded.  I thought to myself, 'did he show up to camp out of shape?' 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this was the first game for a few of these guys including Jake.  I wouldn't say he looked out of shape but he definitely was a step behind some of the AHL guys that have played in 1 or 2 preseason games already.  

4 hours ago, off_the_post said:

I was disappointed to see the Flyers set up on the half wall again on the PP.  If they stick with this then I wish Jake would take Schenn's old spot and put another lefty in his old slot like Provorov. 

I think this is a great idea and one that I haven't heard in my limited browsing.   

Giroux, Ghost, Provorov (takes Jake's spot on the half wall)

Jake in the high slot, Simmonds top of the crease.

Send Hak a note.

5 hours ago, brelic said:

Wasn't that one of the reports on Patrick, that his skating is just ok? He doesn't really have a top speed - just an average speed. 

No, his skating was considered above average. Something he would need to work on (It was compared most often that I saw to Tavares and Draisaitl prior to them being drafted), but not a negative aspect of his game. Remember too, that he spent most of the off-season recovering from his surgery, and he had just played the night before. Decent chance he was gassed and that contributed. He certainly didn't look slow to me at the rookie game.

With regards to the power play, it was noted that they hadn't worked on the powerplay yet in practices. Yet it seemed to me that PP2 had better chances and looked more dangerous than the first unit. Of course, the first unit ran with Provorov at the point as opposed to Ghost, and Lindblom/Filpulla in Schenn's spot, so it wasn't exactly the same as it was last year.

One of the positives was that a lot of the chances were from high-danger areas, as opposed to last year where the shots were coming from the points. Hopefully this is indicative of a shift in philosophy. The defense did break up rushes well, and Elliot/Lyon took care of the rest for the most part. So if the D solidifies the way we hope, scoring should improve based on the way they attacked last night.

I'm quite content with what I've seen from Patrick, especially when you consider he only started skating three weeks before camp. At this point though, I'm wondering if maybe the Flyers do send him back to Brandon to ensure that his skating and core strength are back to where they should be. Let him come into camp next year 100% healthy and no lingering health issues.

I'm also glad that Brian Elliott had a stellar performance. He looked real good out there. His movement was crisp and he tracked the puck real well. He was also really communicating with the young defensemen with regards to positioning. He's going to be a valuable influence on the young d. Can't stress how good of a pick up Elliott was. 

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

At this point though, I'm wondering if maybe the Flyers do send him back to Brandon to ensure that his skating and core strength are back to where they should be. Let him come into camp next year 100% healthy and no lingering health issues.

That on top of getting him on his entry level at 21, 22 and 23 will pay dividends in the long run too...

Archived