"We did a lot of good things out there"

caluso

Dear Mr Hakstol 

Who cares how we looked out there. We lost. Again. 4 losses in a row, and counting. 

And, for the record, we did a lot of bad things out there today, too. A lot.

• The PK was terrible. Again. As undisciplined as Ghost was,  just because we are shorthanded doesn't mean that they automatically score, does it? And, here's an idea: if you are unhappy with a player's lack of on-ice discipline, sit him for a shift or two. Don't whine about it after the game - do something about it!
  • We had a power play with 2 minutes to go and  squandered it, didn't score, so I guess the answer to the question posed in the previous statement is, no.
  • Sanheim looked terrible out there. Again. Can it hurt to sit him for a game or two. Maybe let him regroup in the A?  Interestingly, Alt looked solid. Just saying...
  • Our offense is still lackluster. 2 of the goals we scored were really, really soft. We generate very little from high quality scoring areas, with most of our offense originating from the perimeter.
  • Elliott couldn't be faulted for any of the goals, yet it seems as if he plays just well enough to lose. For example, as bad as Smith looked early on, his blocker save on Patrick from the slot was a game changer. 

I am trying to remember how Provorov was handled when he struggled early on  @caluso  did he watch a couple of games? I know Ghost did.

However, I don't think Sanheim has looked awful, there have been moments when he's looked like a rookie to me, a few times where he's fumbled with the puck in the d-zone.  I really don't think he needs to be sent back to the A. 

This group has been frustrating during these last 4 games. I have watched a good portion of 3 of the games. Both Min games and Wpg. The two games against Min were infuriating partly because of the trap the Wild play but also Hak's reluctance to play his effective lines.  Laughton and Leier were the most effective both nights, yet, we didn't see a whole lot of them.  There was no one on Mn that was going to outskate them, why not play them more?

I also thought the Flyers looked pretty good vs  Wpg.  I was surprised the Flyers didn't win that game based on the two periods I saw. These guys are inconsistent. Is it because there are a lot of young guys playing big minutes?  I feel like this team competes every night and isn't a pushover.  

I'm curious to see how they play these upcoming in-conference games. 

2 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I am trying to remember how Provorov was handled when he struggled early on  @caluso  did he watch a couple of games? I know Ghost did.

However, I don't think Sanheim has looked awful, there have been moments when he's looked like a rookie to me, a few times where he's fumbled with the puck in the d-zone.  I really don't think he needs to be sent back to the A. 

This group has been frustrating during these last 4 games. I have watched a good portion of 3 of the games. Both Min games and Wpg. The two games against Min were infuriating partly because of the trap the Wild play but also Hak's reluctance to play his effective lines.  Laughton and Leier were the most effective both nights, yet, we didn't see a whole lot of them.  There was no one on Mn that was going to outskate them, why not play them more?

I also thought the Flyers looked pretty good vs  Wpg.  I was surprised the Flyers didn't win that game based on the two periods I saw. These guys are inconsistent. Is it because there are a lot of young guys playing big minutes?  I feel like this team competes every night and isn't a pushover.  

I'm curious to see how they play these upcoming in-conference games. 

Thanks for your reply!

Provorov did NOT sit his rookie year. And, to be clear, even after Provorov was -5 against Chicago, I did NOT want him benched. I am sure that, like me, you recognize that Provorov is a once-in-a-lifetime talent, so to compare how he was handled to any other rookie, is unfair.

Having said that, Sanheim might turn out to be great but right now he is struggling. Konecny, Ghost both watched from above. Why not, Sanheim.

My bigger issue is with Hakstol is the accountability? If he thinks someone is playing in an undisciplined way, it is on him to deal with it, not whine about it after the fact. Bench that player, send a message!

On another note, the construct of the team is flawed. Filppula and Weise were terrible acquisitions by Hextall. Why not bring up Vecchione and see what the team looks like with another speedy, skilled center. He is playing extremely well in the A. It can't be worse than what they look like now.

I would scratch Konecny for a game or two. Not as punishment, but as an opportunity for him to refocus, watch a few games, and come back with more control in his game.

In his place, maybe bring up Martel, Lindblom, or Vecchione. If you bring up Vecch, that means more significant reshuffling.

G/C/V

Weal/Patrick/Simmonds

Raffl/Vecchione/Filppula

Weise/Laughton/Leier

Maybe swap Laughton and Vecchione.

When Konecny comes back, stick him in Raffl's place, move Raffl to replace Weise, and scratch Weise.

I would also scratch Sanheim for a game or two. Same reason as Konecny - a learning opportunity, time to refocus. 

Bring up Morin and give him a few games.

1 hour ago, caluso said:

Filppula and Weise were terrible acquisitions by Hextall.

I hate the Weise acquisition.

I don't hate Filppula, I think the Flyers have been better since he's arrived. 

He is frustrating though, he's got a decent shot that he's reluctant to cut loose. I remember tropical fruit girl telling us that when Hextall first made the trade...and she's proving to be clairvoyant.

The nice thing about Filppula is he can walk, he can be traded and maybe bring back a prospect or pick or both ...with Weise the Flyers are on the hook for years and he's worth a skate sharpener on the market. Totally hate that Weise is playing meaningful minutes on this team.

You've seen Vecchione then ? 

I'd like to see what he brings to the Flyers, I've heard he's a good skater and excellent leader, really how could that hurt ?

6 hours ago, brelic said:

I would scratch Konecny for a game or two. Not as punishment, but as an opportunity for him to refocus, watch a few games, and come back with more control in his game.

6 hours ago, brelic said:

I would also scratch Sanheim for a game or two. Same reason as Konecny - a learning opportunity, time to refocus. 

Bring up Morin and give him a few games.

I really don't know what to do with Konecny.  I love the kid, but he is a defensively liability and doesn't have the offensive production to overcome that.  He's played some stupid hockey recently.  Just really disappointed with him.  I would probably bench him.  On the other hand, he's been saddled with some brutal line mates.  I have a bad feeling that Konecny's career here is going to a disappointment and he will leave and blossom elsewhere.  I can see the coach and GM getting tired of him.  

Also, Weal has not looked good recently.  He seemed to be generating plays in the early season, despite not showing up on the scoresheet.  Nowadays I feel like he's not as noticeable out there.  Maybe it's a line mate thing, but he needs to be better. 

I think Morin deserves to draw into a game.  Let Sanheim watch from the PB a little.

Sit Lehterable and Weise.  Would rather see Martel or  Vecchione get their minutes.  Oh, and Raffl go kick rocks as well.  Just go with youth.  

Hakstol doesn't show a lot of emotion. So it is hard for me to read the guy.  That said, his post-game assessments are very polite to the point of denial.  

Hextall put goal and D before forwards. Hopefully there is catch-up shortly. If not, we fall out of playoff contention and Hakstol may be out of a job. 

7 hours ago, vis said:

I really don't know what to do with Konecny.  I love the kid, but he is a defensively liability and doesn't have the offensive production to overcome that.  He's played some stupid hockey recently.  Just really disappointed with him.  I would probably bench him.  On the other hand, he's been saddled with some brutal line mates.  I have a bad feeling that Konecny's career here is going to a disappointment and he will leave and blossom elsewhere.  I can see the coach and GM getting tired of him.  

Also, Weal has not looked good recently.  He seemed to be generating plays in the early season, despite not showing up on the scoresheet.  Nowadays I feel like he's not as noticeable out there.  Maybe it's a line mate thing, but he needs to be better. 

I think Morin deserves to draw into a game.  Let Sanheim watch from the PB a little.

Sit Lehterable and Weise.  Would rather see Martel or  Vecchione get their minutes.  Oh, and Raffl go kick rocks as well.  Just go with youth.  

I think it's totally a linemate issue.  The ironic thing is that the bottom 8 forwards don't have good linemates.  I say 8 because I know something is wrong with Simmonds.  If you're not couturier, Giroux, or voracek, you don't have good linemates.

BTW, can someone let me know when frost will be tearing it up in this league?  When can we expect 26 points in the first 21 games from him?  Maybe Lehtera is just off to a slow start...maybe he's going to put up those numbers over the next 21 games.

In Hexy we trust...you got fleeced st. Louis!

10 hours ago, vis said:

Right on cue, Sam has been reading your posts, I guess.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/philadelphia-flyers-goal-scorers-travis-konecny-jordan-weal-nolan-patrick-20171120.html

I agree with you - Konecny has been frustrating to watch and he has not been a very smart player. In fact, he's made some really bad decisions. Sophomore slump? Whatever it is, I don't think it would hurt to give him a few games off.

Agreed on Weal too.

I wonder if it comes down to those two guys just not having the consistency needed at this level yet? 

Sanheim has been this team's worst defenseman - and it's not a knock on him, just that he's without question a #6 out of 6 right now. Sit him for a few games, and if Morin does well, maybe give Morin until Christmas and send Sanheim down for a bit. 

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Sanheim going back to the A. That kind of stuff happens all the time. 

50 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Hopefully in 3 years.

Well, good luck to him.  I'm not so sure he'll be that good but who knows.  I know nothing about him, but that's usally the case for someone that was picked 27th.

I usually do know a little bit about the 5th overall pick though.  And when he can join a team that is on its way to winning 2 cups, at the age of 18, that says a little bit about his skill.  Then when his points go 0, 2, 18, 26, 41, 47, 59, 55 while playing with "bad linemates", I know he can get better.

The only way you trade a guy like that is if you just concede that you are not going to be a decent team while he is here.  That is a really weak way to GM in my opinion.  If you want to be proactive and make a deal like that, at least get more than a $4M+ absolute stiff, the 27th overall pick, and a conditional pick in return.

I've lost respect for Hextall in so many ways.  I think he is a sissy and I don't think he's very bright either.  Maybe he's taken too many pucks to the mask in his time.

9 hours ago, brelic said:

I wonder if it comes down to those two guys just not having the consistency needed at this level yet? 

I hate to say this, but Konecny needs some structure in his game.  He has talent, can skate and has heart.  But he's just not a smart player. He needs to be coached - defensively and offensively.  In juniors, he could skate in circles and hold the puck and turn nothing into something.  Can't do that here.  He has to be taught how to make better decisions and improve the little things.  I really think that a good coach could turn him into a very good player.  Again, reminds me a little of Justin Williams.

Weal is trying.  He's a good skater, relatively speaking, but he doesn't have enough skill in other ways, i.e., he's not a great playmaker and he doesn't have a particularly good shot.  So, he's a complimentary player and when his linemates are playing well, he looks much better.  But he cannot carry a line and does not make those around him better.  Plus, he shouldn't be tasked with shouldering guys like Weise and a hobbled Simmonds.

Sanheim is not ready for the NHL.  I still think he could use some strength and still tries to get away with things he got away with in junior.  Go to the AHL and work on it.  Meanwhile, bring in Morin - who absolutely cannot be worse than Sanheim, at least defensively.  

@icehole 

I agree with a lot of what you said above (though I haven't lost respect for Hextall).  I said it then and I will say it now: I did not like the Schenn trade.  I don't think he was used well here and I think the 5v5/CORSI stuff was not entirely his fault.  It's a shame, but his production would be very welcome right now.  I don't want to turn this into a Schenn debate, but I really hope Frost can turn into a player.  Also, remember that Eeli Tolvanen was still on the board when they took Frost.  I thought for sure they were going to take him.  He's had an excellent start in the KHL.

In my mind, Hextall and crew misevaluated Schenn and Lindblom.  And perhaps Patrick's ability to step in and contribute.

Realistically, I doubt Schenn would have had the success here that he is having in STL.  This coach and roster are apples to STL's oranges. 

1 hour ago, vis said:

@icehole 

I agree with a lot of what you said above (though I haven't lost respect for Hextall).  I said it then and I will say it now: I did not like the Schenn trade.  I don't think he was used well here and I think the 5v5/CORSI stuff was not entirely his fault.  It's a shame, but his production would be very welcome right now.  I don't want to turn this into a Schenn debate, but I really hope Frost can turn into a player.  Also, remember that Eeli Tolvanen was still on the board when they took Frost.  I thought for sure they were going to take him.  He's had an excellent start in the KHL.

In my mind, Hextall and crew misevaluated Schenn and Lindblom.  And perhaps Patrick's ability to step in and contribute.

Realistically, I doubt Schenn would have had the success here that he is having in STL.  This coach and roster are apples to STL's oranges. 

I also agree with most of what you said.  Coaching could be a huge missing piece of this puzzle.  I think the guy is a stiff...literally.  I've never seen a coach with less emotion.  John Stevens had more emotion, and was probably a better coach.  That was also a Hextall hire so we have to factor that in.

I feel like the flyers could compete with STL talent wise.  Is that because I've been brainwashed by the team and by the fans?  When I think of the names Giroux, voracek, couturier, Simmonds, provorov, and gostisbeher, I feel like that is a solid lineup.  But maybe I'm wrong.  Maybe we were just tricked into believing that.

Anyway, I think a change has to be made.  Fire the coach and see if anything changes.  If nothing does, ask the coach to come back and start dealing players.  I don't know how desirable the coach would be to the rest of the league right now anyway.

Hextall won't pull any moves like that though.  He left his balls in his jock.  As soon as he retired, he became soft.

Archived