Patrick and WJC

flyer4ever

On 12/14/2017 at 12:17 PM, aziz said:

if his attitude is, "man, i just can't hang, these guys are way too good for me," then you have a problem, but the coaching staff would know that and he wouldn't be wearing a flyers jersey right now.

this /\

He doesn't project a beat dog attitude when he's on the ice when I'm watching.

I think we'll see his game grow this year, I think next year if his health cooperates we'll see a much improved player.

There are a couple of things going on with him that have been documented.

-Recovering from injuries, prior to the season and during the season. 

And there's this, he's been "the man" on his teams to this point. He's having to adjust to a new role and place with regard team leadership. He's back to having to earn is way onto the ice.  In every interview I've read with him he seems to get it.  I think he'll be fine, and we'll all be glad he's on our team. Like I said somewhere else in this forum, if he's not sniffing the ice in the 3rd period in late January there may be a problem.  I don't see one now, in fact, his line was out vs Dallas with under 3:30  to play...

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Patrick is going to play with Weise and Weal it will be IMPOSSIBLE for him to have any success. he would be better off playing in a beer league. He must have a cash bonus for points and Calder votes that corporate Hextall will make impossible to achieve. Can't see how this is developing him for the future. Maybe they will trade him to Toronto for Polak, ala JVR.

@flyer4ever 

hy·per·bo·le
hīˈpərbəlē/
noun

exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.
synonyms:

exaggeration, overstatement, magnification, embroidery, embellishment, excess, overkill, rhetoric; 

hys·ter·ic
həˈsterik/
noun
plural noun: hysterics
informal
a wildly emotional and exaggerated reaction.
"the child has been seized with regular fits of hysterics at bedtime"
synonyms: hysteria, wildness, feverishness, irrationality, frenzy, loss of control, delirium, derangement, mania
"a fit of hysterics"

4 hours ago, brelic said:

Yes, and they are doing that. Through the Phantoms, overseas leagues, and junior leagues. 

As mentioned in a previous post, yes there is still development at the NHL level but the NHL is not a development league. Subtle but important distinction.

The Flyers brought up Ghost because he was ready - took him two years and being 23. Provorov and TK made the team in draft year + 1. Hagg had to wait three years. 

Patrick - they decided he was ready now.

Compare that to the Oilers, for example, who sometimes appear to plug some draftees in immediately more out of necessity than because they are ready.

As for the "artificial win streak", not sure what you mean. If that's the case, then was the losing streak "artificial" too?

The Flyers have looked more like the team from the first 10 games lately, and most of us and analysts figured they were a playoff bubble team - which is kinda what they are, right? And playoff bubble teams are mediocre by definition - which is exactly what the Flyers are. 

I call it an artificial win streak because they're simply getting lucky. In terms of the 10 game losing streak, it wasn't luck. They routinely blew leads in the third because the doofus behind the bench would refuse to call timeouts to halt momentum or wouldn't make any sort of adjustment to the game plan, other than shortening the bench. 

Same with the winning streak. Actually, that's not true. The only thing he changed was moving from a 2-1-2 system to a 1-2-2 so the team can trap more effectively. That's it. They haven't looked convincing during the win streak and to me, that means something. They didn't look convincing last year during their win streak either. 

I hope they prove me wrong, I really do. But at the same time, I look at the doofus behind the bench and see nothing but incompetence and using guys incorrectly. I look at Hextall and his bromance with Hakstol and his staff seems to be clouding his judgement. I get that Hextall won't do anything until next year and that right now, they're going to continue keeping things the status quo. However, the number of players regressing under Hakstol's watch is becoming alarming. I see Coots, Giroux and Voracek doing fine, but guys like Weal, Simmonds, and Konecny are struggling. As well, even Provorov is starting to look a little worn out under Hakstol and Sanheim looks completely lost with what's being asked of him. That's a lot of players who are falling behind and that's just not a coincidence.

Maybe I'm being too harsh, I don't know. But this is a club that is not well coached and there are players who need real coaching instruction that appear to not be getting it. 

1 minute ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I call it an artificial win streak because they're simply getting lucky. In terms of the 10 game losing streak, it wasn't luck.

Yeah you're right. That is what hockey is a lot of times. In the 10 games losing streak it was luck...bad luck they weren't getting the bounces...it happens.

Yet i wouldn't call it artificial by any means.

3 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

The only thing he changed was moving from a 2-1-2 system to a 1-2-2 so the team can trap more effectively. That's it.

Sure and that is what was needed...especially with such youth. They changed they game plan. A smart coach does that. Should it have been done sooner....maybe.

Chip Kelly wouldn't change his plan and it is why he was fired. 

And i get it you hate Hak ok. But he isn't going anywhere this year or i think even after the season. The staff can and maybe will change.

But that is all i see right now that may happen besides a trade sometime sooner or later.

6 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Maybe I'm being too harsh

Sure maybe.

Really it is too soon to call this team i think.

They could easily return to losing they are young and their confidence it seems to have changed for the better could tank again.

So if you are apprehensive with the team i understand in a game or two who knows you could be right.

A borderline playoff team is what they look like right now. They are not far out from a spot in the playoffs.

They also are far from a nice draft pick.

My advice?? Don't look down!!!

1 hour ago, aziz said:

@flyer4ever 

hy·per·bo·le
hīˈpərbəlē/
noun

exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.
synonyms:

exaggeration, overstatement, magnification, embroidery, embellishment, excess, overkill, rhetoric; 

hys·ter·ic
həˈsterik/
noun
plural noun: hysterics
informal
a wildly emotional and exaggerated reaction.
"the child has been seized with regular fits of hysterics at bedtime"
synonyms: hysteria, wildness, feverishness, irrationality, frenzy, loss of control, delirium, derangement, mania
"a fit of hysterics"

smarm
smärm/
informal
verb

1. 1.
    BRITISH
    behave in an ingratiating way in order to gain favor.
    "I smarmed my way into the air force"
  2. 2.
    smooth down (one's hair), especially with water, oil, or gel.
    "he had smarmed his hair down"
noun

1. 1.
    ingratiating behavior.
    "it takes a combination of smarm and confidence to persuade them"

Archived