Flyers mid-season awards - Meltzer

brelic

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/postgame-5-a-good-bye-ahead/c-294756620

No surprises. There are a lot of great, positive storylines for the Flyers this year.

One recent lineup change has Ghost and Provorov as the top pairing, and I gotta say, they look very good together. That's a deadly pairing as they continue developing - not only will they clamp down defensively and eat big minutes, they are also game-changers. Ghost is already that now, and Provorov is showing signs of upping his offensive game. 

Just to summarize Meltzer's article:

Hart - Giroux

Norris - Provorov

Selke - Couturier

Calder - Hagg

Vezina - Elliott

Masterton - Laughton

Would you have different names?

16 minutes ago, brelic said:

No surprises. There are a lot of great, positive storylines for the Flyers this year.

One recent lineup change has Ghost and Provorov as the top pairing, and I gotta say, they look very good together. That's a deadly pairing as they continue developing - not only will they clamp down defensively and eat big minutes, they are also game-changers. Ghost is already that now, and Provorov is showing signs of upping his offensive game. 

Hart - Giroux

Norris - Provorov

Selke - Couturier

Calder - Hagg

Vezina - Elliott

Masterton - Laughton

no arguments here.... think that is a pretty safe list.

4 hours ago, brelic said:

0https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/postgame-5-a-good-bye-ahead/c-294756620

Hart - Giroux

Norris - Provorov

Selke - Couturier

Calder - Hagg

Vezina - Elliott

Masterton - Laughton

Can't disagree much.  I think Couturier has been the best overall player and I'd consider him a strong team Hart candidate.  Giroux could be a candidate for the team Masterton trophy given the work he put in to rebound from injury and subpar performances.

6 hours ago, brelic said:

Hart - Giroux

Norris - Provorov

Selke - Couturier

Calder - Hagg

Vezina - Elliott

Masterton - Laughton

And for the rest of the team: Image result for participation trophy

9 hours ago, brelic said:

One recent lineup change has Ghost and Provorov as the top pairing, and I gotta say, they look very good together.

It's an interesting pairing for sure. I'm hunching that Provo will have a semi-breakout year next season. I say he'll flirt with 50 pts. If he's on a pairing with Ghost, that only makes it more likely imo. That's two players who can pass and shoot as good as any blueliners in the game. I imagine that would be awful to try to defend against.

That said, it begs the question of what to do with our other pairings. They are really the only two dmen on the team who have shown that level of offensive acumen (again, Provo will prove this in short order). That means our other two pairing become mostly shut down lines with some puck moving but little in the way of firepower. Maybe we get to see Sanheim grow a bit next season. That would help.

My playoff push lineup...

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 11 Travis Konecny 
96 Oskar Lindblom - 19 Nolan Patrick - 93 Jakub Voracek
40 Jordan Weal - 15 Mike Vecchione  - 17 Wayne Simmonds
56 Tyrell Goulbourne - 21 Scott Laughton - 12 Michael Raffl

I have Lehtera and Weise as healthy scratches.

And trade Filppula for a 2nd round pick to a playoff team out west.

It is why also i would want to send Sanheim down now so he can improve and be recalled later in the year.

I can't say if they will be a playoff team right now but i think they will be challenging for it.

So they will need all the firepower they can get.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

It is why also i would want to send Sanheim down now so he can improve and be recalled later in the year.

I can't say if they will be a playoff team right now but i think they will be challenging for it.

I hear ya, and I would much prefer to see this lineup go through the growing pains now, but..

No sane GM would trade away three NHL veterans and replace them with 3 rookies who have a combined 4 games of NHL experience and sincerely expect *that* lineup to be the one to bring them into the playoffs. 

It's certainly possible, but not very sane.

24 minutes ago, brelic said:

No sane GM would trade away three NHL veterans

Huh where did you get "trade away 3 NHL vets"?

I said trade Filppula you ain't trading away Weise and Lehtera???

They are stuck with those two but you can healthy scratch them.

And you're not just adding kids Lindblom is 21 and Vecchione is 24.

And in Vecchione's case he will be 25 in a month and is older than 6 guys already on the team.

Those two would be ok. You could further and just flop Lindblom to the 3rd line to start with.

17 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Huh where did you get "trade away 3 NHL vets"?

I said trade Filppula you ain't trading away Weise and Lehtera???

They are stuck with those two but you can healthy scratch them.

And you're not just adding kids Lindblom is 21 and Vecchione is 24.

And in Vecchione's case he will be 25 in a month and is older than 6 guys already on the team.

Those two would be ok. You could further and just flop Lindblom to the 3rd line to start with.

My bad - but it still isn't sane to replace three vets with three rookies for the purpose of a playoff push. Again, I'm not saying it can't work out. It's just not the kind of strategy that a professional GM would likely use when they are trying to make the playoffs. 

I get it - Lindblom and Vecchione are older. But they're also rookies. Caggiula over in Edmonton had everyone drooling over him, and one Oil analyst just today called him "not an NHL player." Lindblom would also probably need 20 games just to adjust to the NHL speed.

I'd love to see a lineup where we have more of our 'future' but I think we'd be kidding ourselves if we *expect* them to be better. They might, but really, the odds are they wouldn't. At least not in the short term. And the short term is where the team needs to win games and build momentum if they want any chance at making the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, brelic said:

My bad - but it still isn't sane to replace three vets with three rookies for the purpose of a playoff push

Might as well get their feet wet now and not wait till an injury pops up and say it is playoffs time and you need them.

Talk about pressure playoff hockey ain't the place to get your first start.

Bottom six minutes ain't going to crush them.

See what they can do.

You're not making sense in my eyes, you want to keep a 21 year old defensemen who has displayed issues with his game up and yet don't want to give forwards the same age or older a look who have played damn well in the AHL even a game?

Just doesn't make sense play defense is much harder than forward. Help me understand your thinking?

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

Might as well get their feet wet now and not wait till an injury pops up and say it is playoffs time and you need them.

Talk about pressure playoff hockey ain't the place to get your first start.

Bottom six minutes ain't going to crush them.

See what they can do.

You're not making sense in my eyes, you want to keep a 21 year old defensemen who has displayed issues with his game up and yet don't want to give forwards the same age or older a look who have played damn well in the AHL even a game?

Just doesn't make sense play defense is much harder than forward. Help me understand your thinking?

I guess, first thing, it's not my thinking. I'm trying to guess what the organization is thinking. 

Sanheim made the team out of camp, he's played the majority of games, and Hak has reinserted Manning in the lineup after coming back from injury. Maybe it's to figure out what to do moving forward - keep Sanheim here and play him most of the remaining games and have Manning as 7th, or keep Manning as 7th, send Sanheim back for the rest of the season, and call up Alt. There's no rush and maybe they just want to make sure they make the right decision. I'm guessing they don't want to yo-yo players either, as Hextall has already said.

Like you, I'd much rather watch our 'future' in action now, losses and mistakes be damned. And no playoff hockey for another season doesn't bother me much because I believe in what they're doing.

But the organization doesn't think like we do. So that's why I'm saying it's borderline delusional, from an organizational perspective, to call up three rookies with 4 games of NHL experience and lay the playoff push at their feet.

3 minutes ago, brelic said:

But the organization doesn't think like we do

Sure he hasn't played since december 28th.

Has one point since november 24th and -7 in that stretch.

Kid is swimming. 

6 minutes ago, brelic said:

to call up three rookies with 4 games of NHL experience and lay the playoff push at their feet.

You don't call up 3 guys at once.

Just bring them up one at a time even.

They have a open roster spot right now Goulbourne has been sent down.

I'd call Vecchione up and give him a look.

9 minutes ago, brelic said:

I'm guessing they don't want to yo-yo players either, as Hextall has already said

And for the record i'm not advocating for yo yoing him. Send him down till he shows obvious improvement.

There is a reason 2nd round pick Hagg and done so well this year.

Who by they way has slightly better stats than 1st round pick Sanheim (1 g 4 a 5 p -9) Hagg (1 g 5 a 6 p +12)!!!

Hagg got the chance to develop over 205 AHL games to get better.

Hagg's 1st year he finished -12 his 2nd he finished -11 and his last he was +10.

The AHL serves a purpose but Hexy has to choose to use it. It cost nothing to send him back.

I just don't get their mind set. 

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Agree re: Lindblom.  I'd like to see him at some point in the NHL.

If they are making a PO push, I doubt they are trading Filppula and inserting Vecchione.  I think Filppula is like MacDonald in that, despite his shortcomings on the ice, he's a valued, veteran leader in the locker room.   I just don't see the org making a move like that in favor of putting Vecchione in the lineup in the midst of a PO run.  Even if they did, I could see Laughton moving to the 3rd line - not Vecchione.   Now, generally speaking, if they are more than 5 points out of a PO spot at the deadline, then I do think Filppula should be moved.

I think Lehterable will be in the PB for the longer term.  I see no reason for him to have a spot in the lineup.  I think Weise and Leier will rotate in and out on the fourth line.  Until Goulbourne plays another game, I'm not sure he's in their longer term plans for this season, though, like you, I hope he will be.  Love his energy.

13 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I posted the wrong pick. My bad. Krush is just ECHL fodder.

Gotcha.  Thought you were saying there is another prospect to add to the list (it was a nifty move and he's a PK'er).

Agree on Lindblom.

2 hours ago, vis said:

I just don't see the org making a move like that in favor of putting Vecchione in the lineup in the midst of a PO run.

It wouldn't be making room for Vecchione you could call him up now and in a week or so he looks like he isn't ready send him back they have a spot open with Goulbourne being sent back.

It would be to elevate Patrick to the 2nd....you can plug whomever into the 4th line spot.

Bump Laughton up the point is you would have options.

Filppula just doesn't impress me a lot and i would look to move him if the right deal came a long.

But you don't have to move him till one of the prospects shows they can move up into the NHL lineup.

And whom ever was brought up could handle 8-9 minutes a night.

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

It wouldn't be making room for Vecchione you could call him up now and in a week or so he looks like he isn't ready send him back they have a spot open with Goulbourne being sent back.

It would be to elevate Patrick to the 2nd....you can plug whomever into the 4th line spot.

Bump Laughton up the point is you would have options.

Filppula just doesn't impress me a lot and i would look to move him if the right deal came a long.

But you don't have to move him till one of the prospects shows they can move up into the NHL lineup.

And whom ever was brought up could handle 8-9 minutes a night.

But Patrick hasn't even shown he can move up the lineup. 

I get what you're saying - but if the Flyers (that is, Hextall and Hakstol) are aiming for the playoffs, these moves make no sense for them. Vecchione *might* be good, but he's more than likely not, at least not for half a season or so. These guys are not plug-and-play.

If Sanheim, Patrick, Provorov, Weal, and Konecny all struggled when they first came in to the NHL - all of them except Weal being 1st rounders - why on earth would we expect an undrafted Vecchione to come up and *not* struggle through growing pains? 

Again, I'm ok with it, you're ok with it, but it makes no sense for an organization trying to make the playoffs to potentially disrupt the lineup at a critical juncture when they are actually playing well. 

If they were playing poorly, then it's a different story.

48 minutes ago, brelic said:

But Patrick hasn't even shown he can move up the lineup.

I got what you're saying and Coots hadn't ever shown he could be a 1st line center.

Someone had to just give him a chance shows some faith in him. And look he has risen to the challenge. 

And it's not like he would be a lock he can always be moved back down.

51 minutes ago, brelic said:

why on earth would we expect an undrafted Vecchione to come up and *not* struggle through growing pains?

Never said he wouldn't. Not many make the jump and not need an adjustment period.

But like i said he'll be 25 in a month if not now then when??

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I got what you're saying and Coots hadn't ever shown he could be a 1st line center.

Someone had to just give him a chance shows some faith in him. And look he has risen to the challenge. 

And it's not like he would be a lock he can always be moved back down.

Never said he wouldn't. Not many make the jump and not need an adjustment period.

But like i said he'll be 25 in a month if not now then when??

Five possibilities, I’d say.

1. When an injury comes up and he’s the best option.

2. When they are out of the playoff picture and want to give different guys some looks.

3. If they are struggling and want to shake things up.

4. Vecchione’s play makes it impossible not to call him up.

5. Next year.

They are playing well and are healthy, so 1-3 don’t apply.

I don’t think he is playing lights out in LHV, so not #4 right now.

So my guess is #5 until things change.

Archived