Morin hurt again, no this isn’t a joke

Samifan

Well whatever it is, he seems to be coming back too early. And I think it started when he came back without telling the coaching staff the truth about his injury, from what Hextall said before Christmas. 

No need to panic - maybe some offseason surgery and rehab will take care of it for good. 

1 hour ago, brelic said:

Well whatever it is, he seems to be coming back too early. And I think it started when he came back without telling the coaching staff the truth about his injury, from what Hextall said before Christmas. 

No need to panic - maybe some offseason surgery and rehab will take care of it for good. 

Definitely seems like the case. I'm kind of hoping they'll sit him the rest of the way, or at least a good long chunk of what's left of the AHL season. I realize that sucks for the Phantoms, but his health is more imp than a deep run. Besides, the team seems to be playing plenty fine without him.

Next season is crucial for Morin, the more he gets injured ,the less chance he has at being called up and he has competition with Myers and Sanheim for a roster spot. The other problem is ,the longer he stays in the minors , the more his value drops. If there is no room in Hakstols system for Morin, then he needs to be traded. If he had a full productive season this year he would have been called up by now  and maybe stayed with the team, or other teams could have assessed his play for a trade. I know Montreal was interested in him. I don’t want to trade Morin but Hakstol s already ruining Sanheim and Morin needs to come up and play or he will be labeled a flop and no one will want him.

12 hours ago, Samifan said:

Lather, Rinse, Repeat

Is this kid made of glass? Is it time to move on from him?

Depends on if it's the same injury. Kid has never been injury prone before one of the only Phantoms to play every game the last two seasons (excluding the two games he was suspended of course).

If it's the injury he has been trying to play through maybe it's best to shut him down and get the surgery he needs and be ready for next year.

9 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Next season is crucial for Morin, the more he gets injured ,the less chance he has at being called up and he has competition with Myers and Sanheim for a roster spot. The other problem is ,the longer he stays in the minors , the more his value drops. If there is no room in Hakstols system for Morin, then he needs to be traded. If he had a full productive season this year he would have been called up by now  and maybe stayed with the team, or other teams could have assessed his play for a trade. I know Montreal was interested in him. I don’t want to trade Morin but Hakstol s already ruining Sanheim and Morin needs to come up and play or he will be labeled a flop and no one will want him.

Hakstol is not ruining Sanheim and Morin will be fine, unless his injury becomes some kind of chronic issue. 

Whether he’s in the NHL at 22 or 23 doesn’t really mean much in the grand scheme of things. Ghost made the Flyers when he was 22-23, and that includes missing almost an entire season due to an injury that prevented him even from training for a long time. 

13 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

No.

None of this is true.

He is only 22 and will more than likely be a Flyer if he is no more than like Sanheim the 7th guy.

Manning's contract will be off the books.

Flyer fans are so fickle.

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

No.

None of this is true.

He is only 22 and will more than likely be a Flyer if he is no more than like Sanheim the 7th guy.

Manning's contract will be off the books.

Flyer fans are so fickle.

Which raises a good question - the way things look right now, Morin does not have a roster spot for next year unless we move one of our top 6.

Provo/Ghost

Mac/Hagg

Sanheim/Gudas

Gudas is the most likely candidate, if anything happens. Do you think Hextall moves him?

And beyond that, ain’t no room at the inn for Myers, Wilcox, Friedman, Hogberg, Bernhardt, etc. 

1 minute ago, RonJeremy said:

What’s the point of Sanheim being the 7th guy, he’s better off playing big minutes with the Phantoms. He learns nothing sitting on the bench.

Yes, I agree at some point it makes more sense to send him back if he’s not going to play a bulk of the remaining games. 

But it either way, he won’t be ‘ruined’ by playing, say, 10 of the next 30 games. They’re not eggs. 

18 minutes ago, brelic said:

Which raises a good question - the way things look right now, Morin does not have a roster spot for next year unless we move one of our top 6.

Provo/Ghost

Mac/Hagg

Sanheim/Gudas

Gudas is the most likely candidate, if anything happens. Do you think Hextall moves him?

And beyond that, ain’t no room at the inn for Myers, Wilcox, Friedman, Hogberg, Bernhardt, etc. 

I think we'll see him in a role like we see with Travis right now.

So once he proves he can play and hold a spot down then yeah you could see a move like Gudas to another team.

Or they hold onto him throughout the season and make a move at the end of 2018-19.

I would love to move Mcdud first honestly.

The biggest thing next year is Morin isn't waiver exempt so that is a biggie right there on how the approach this.

Can they find a taker sometime say next year before the deadline to take Mcdud with the following year (2019-20) under contract not sure?

Gudas might be the more attractive trade bait with 2019-20 left on his deal too.

Or could they say f**k it and when the buyout window is open buyout Mcdud.

Myself i would rather hold onto Gudas and buyout Mcdud and be done with it. They have the space.

To me , we want to develop our guys as quickly as we can. Even if Sanheim plays, he gets 5 mins a game, that will hinder his progess. I would rather see him play 20 mins a game for the Phantoms for the rest of the year and be a major contributor, insted of a part timer here. Then he can be primed for the NHL for next season. 

17 hours ago, brelic said:

Yeah I’m thinkgoing by at this point they need to sit him down and just take care of whatever the problem is.  Without more detail it’s impossible to say but it sounded like he’d probably need surgery in the off season anyway.  Get it done. Now.  The kid is a monster when he plays.  They need him. 

4 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

To me , we want to develop our guys as quickly as we can. Even if Sanheim plays, he gets 5 mins a game, that will hinder his progess. I would rather see him play 20 mins a game for the Phantoms for the rest of the year and be a major contributor, insted of a part timer here. Then he can be primed for the NHL for next season. 

He should be getting manning’s Minutes and tonight details that well. 

But it Hextall basically said Friday that if hak doesn’t get him in soon something will happen.  If that means he yells at hak and the kid plays it if that means phantoms I have no idea. 

18 hours ago, brelic said:

AMac!

But seriously you are right, Gudas is the clear candidate. That said, I mentioned before how I really don't think it'll happen in the next bit. I think Hex would have to get a blow me away trade opportunity to move him right now, mostly because we don't have anyone to replace him. Sure, he's not Drew Doughty, but he's very much an NHL dman, and far from the worst guy to have around, keeping people honest. Why move him if it's going to leave a hole on the back end? Unless it's an overpayment, I just can't see it happening.

Also, some folks are really giving up so quick on these youngins. If it's not Patrick, it's Sanheim, now it's Morin. These are ~20 year old guys trying to find their way to the highest caliber hockey league in the world. Not everyone can be Provo. The vast majority of elite level NHL players don't light the league on fire in their first season, or even their second, or even their third. Give them some time.

Morin will be an NHL dman, and not a 7th man either. He will be a top four menace for years. Bank it.

On 1/21/2018 at 12:00 PM, brelic said:

Provo/Ghost

Mac/Hagg

Sanheim/Gudas

I doubt Hextall moves Gudas unless he gets a great offer... which isn't impossible.

My guess is that Sam needs some heavy surgery with major recovery... especially if it's anything like G, Ghost or Patrick had (I hear it's Sam's groin too, is that right?).  So I'm guessing next year looks a lot like you have it up there with Morin and Myers filling for injuries or Gudas' inevitable suspension in where needed.  Remember, Myers has had injury issues as well, so they're likely to be tentative with both of them, leaning on the lack of an immediate NEED to play them.  

If Morin recovers and looks healthy, I do think it's very possible that Mac will be made the 7th man in favor of Sam getting minutes.  Morin is the real deal.  He made a big mistake in one of the Islander games that cost them, but the fact is, in his few starts with the Flyers, his play driving numbers have been outstanding.  He looks like he could be really really good.  

After next season I think it is very likely that Mac is bought out or possibly made the 7th man (because the team likes him so much).  

They like Mac a lot but the fact of the matter is that while he's not TERRIBLE, he's not GOOD.  It's not that he's killing them, but when you watch plays develop when he's on the ice, it's clear that a better player could be stopping more from developing.    He's not terrible for them.  But they can certainly do better.  

On 1/21/2018 at 8:01 AM, brelic said:

What was this about?  What did Hextall say?

Feel bad for the kid.

17 minutes ago, vis said:

What was this about?  What did Hextall say?

Feel bad for the kid.

I'm looking for the exact quote, and I can't find it right now, but it was from Hextall, and something to the effect that he hadn't let on the extent of his injuries. 

I did find this:

http://www.courierpostonline.com/story/sports/nhl/flyers/2017/12/30/flyers-prospect-watch-samuel-morin-phil-myers-oskar-lindblom-tyrell-goulbourne-mark-friedman/992217001/

Back with the Lehigh Valley Phantoms, in his third full season in the American Hockey League, Morin hasn’t been able to prove he’s NHL ready because he’s been hurt. It has already cost him one recall stint. The Flyers haven’t been clear about what the injury is, but Hextall did admit that Morin’s been trying to play through the same injury this season.

Now it looks like the player is willing to wait it out until he’s physically ready to return. The next step is to prove that he belongs in the top league.

42 minutes ago, brelic said:

I'm looking for the exact quote, and I can't find it right now, but it was from Hextall, and something to the effect that he hadn't let on the extent of his injuries. 

I did find this:

http://www.courierpostonline.com/story/sports/nhl/flyers/2017/12/30/flyers-prospect-watch-samuel-morin-phil-myers-oskar-lindblom-tyrell-goulbourne-mark-friedman/992217001/

It's pretty important that he learn when it's best to take some time off and heal. There are any number of NHL players who don't realize this until it's too late and injuries they've played through have lasting effects. It's a fast and physical sport. This isn't the last time he's going to get hurt. He needs to learn how to deal with that part of the game as well.

Anyway, I'm not at all worried. He was close to ready for action this season as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure he will impress again next year and fight for a spot on the roster again at camp. That's how it should be. He'll make it.

3 hours ago, brelic said:

I did find this:

Well, whatever the case, he needs to understand that trying to play through issues won't help his development.  He'd be better served fully healing and coming back strong.  He's lost a year in his development.

3 hours ago, elmatus said:

It's pretty important that he learn when it's best to take some time off and heal. There are any number of NHL players who don't realize this until it's too late and injuries they've played through have lasting effects. It's a fast and physical sport. This isn't the last time he's going to get hurt. He needs to learn how to deal with that part of the game as well.

Anyway, I'm not at all worried. He was close to ready for action this season as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure he will impress again next year and fight for a spot on the roster again at camp. That's how it should be. He'll make it.

Honestly, Morin should have made the team.  He wasn’t close to ready he was totally ready.  

Essentially Hagg, though less dynamic overall, was a tad safer, so he made the initial cut and Hextall wasn’t going to send down Mac or Manning and Hakstol wasn’t going to bench Mac.  

They stated at the time that Sanheim got the initial call over Morin because his skill set fit the potential hole in Gudas’ pairing (left handed shot, offensive leaning puck mover to balance with Gudas).   That mad  sense to me at the time.  I didn’t like it because I’m really high on Morin and his abilities.  

When Gudas got his arse suspended and Mac got his arse hurt, it was the perfect opportunity so they called up Morin and found out he had been playing hurt. 

Seems like he’s trying to rush through this injury and that’s not good as it’s obviously costing him more in the long run. 

It’s more important for Morin to get healthy.  He should be on the team now, but he’s really the one who will push MacDonald out of the every night lineup.  

Ita a a shame because yes, he is going to take some seasoning just as Sanheim and Ghost and even Provo do and did.  But I really have little doubt that the guy is going to be a monster soon after getting his opportunity.  

He’s not flashy like Ghost, he’s not Superman like Provo, but he is a dynamic play driver who takes up a lot of real estate on the ice and even though he’s not Ghost like, he can still move the puck better than most.  

He’s the missing piece to the ultimate Dedensive chess set and I hope to god he gets healthy and gets a chance soon. 

He he should have a heart to heart with Ghost who was about Sam’s age when he blew out his knee with the Phantoms.  It’s a similar and frankly beat case scenario for Sam.  

Archived