Marchand Suspended Again

AlaskaFlyerFan

Marchand Suspended Again  

6 members have voted

1. 1. This is his 6th suspension and he has also been fined 3 additional times. Is the NHL DoPS being too lenient on him?

• Yes, he obviously isn't getting the message.
    • No, he isn't a dirty player.

Bruins' Brad Marchand banned five games for hit on Devils' Marcus Johansson

Boston Bruins forward Brad Marchand was suspended five games Wednesday by the NHL Department of Player Safety for elbowing Marcus Johansson of the New Jersey Devils, the maximum amount allowable without an in-person hearing.

The NHL told ESPN on Wednesday that despite the suspension, Marchand is still eligible to play on the Atlantic Division team in Sunday's All-Star Game as well participate in the skills competition and all events related to the game.

This is the sixth time Marchand has been suspended by the NHL in his nine-season career, for a total of 19 games. His last suspension was in April 2017, for spearing Jake Dotchin of Tampa Bay. This suspension matches the longest of his career, having been previously suspended five games for clipping Vancouver Canucks defenseman Sami Salo in 2012.

Marchand has also been fined three times. In total, he has lost $872,521 to supplemental discipline in his career.

In the third period of Tuesday night's Boston win over New Jersey, Marchand hit Johansson in the head as he attempted to chase down a rebounded shot near the Devils' goal. There was no penalty called on the play. Johansson suffered a concussion on the hit.

Boston coach Bruce Cassidy said Wednesday that he believed Marchand was trying to protect himself on the play from an onrushing Johansson and didn't have intent to injure the Devils forward.

"In talking to Brad this morning, he said he just saw a Devils sweater there and he was protecting himself from contact. Brad's taken a couple of hits this year, missed some time, so I absolutely think a player should protect themselves if they see a hit coming. It's up to the league to determine whether it's legal or not," Cassidy said.

The Department of Player Safety determined it was illegal, saying in its judgement on Marchand: "While we acknowledge Marchand's argument that he is attempting to defend himself from oncoming contact, it is Marchand who initiates the contact on this play. This is not a defensive maneuver, made for Marchand's protection."

Marchand has 50 points in 38 games (21 goals, 29 assists) for the Bruins and had been named to the Atlantic Division team for this weekend's NHL All-Star Game game in Tampa.

https://www.nhl.com/video/marchand-suspended-five-games/t-277350912/c-56990903

After seemingly putting all the nonsense behind him and shaping himself into the true professional and productive hockey player that he had been to this point, apparently, the urge was just too strong.....

So...after fans pleaded, begged, and bloodthirstily yearned for him to come back, finally, Brad Marchand appeased his legions of scumbags..........

Screw playing hockey. Screw being a part of one of the NHL's best and hottest lines this season. Screw the Boston Bruins and their bid to try and catch the Lightning in the Atlantic......

His time to reappear is now.....

RatReturns.jpg

I think Marchand is a hell of a hockey player.  But,  he is an ugly human being who cares nothing about the other players on the ice.  That includes opponents and teammates.  Sit his sorry a##.

And of course not one of the blind and incompetent officials saw Marchand elbow Johansson in the head, but that's par for the course this season. It's so bad the officials actually apologized to John Hynes (after Boston had already scored) for screwing up a simple call. Which was just one of numerous times the officials/league have screwed them this year. I'm not normally one to complain about officials but it seems like every other game in the last month there's just complete incompetence that the Devils end up on the wrong end of, and it's just pathetic that these morons keep doing their jobs poorly and yet the league doesn't seem to punish them at all. Then again this is the same idiotic league that thinks Kid Rock is still a relevant musical act, so I shouldn't be surprised.

Mini-rant over, I think Marchand deserves more than 5 games given his history, but it's not an egregiously short suspension either. Poor Johansson just can not stay healthy this year. In fact I think this is his second concussion this year, so I hope he's okay.

7 hours ago, blocker said:

I think Marchand is a hell of a hockey player.  But,  he is an ugly human being who cares nothing about the other players on the ice.  That includes opponents and teammates.  Sit his sorry a##.

Man this is exactly it. I love the guy, I love that he plays with an edge, too many players today are cookie cutter players in their sameness it is good to see someone with a tough side, but this crap, man I hope his team goes 0-4-1 or some such without him and ends up losing home ice in a round because of this suspension and gets an early bounce because of it. Then and pretty much only then will he clean this crap up. He is too good of a hockey player, even too fun to watch one of the most dangerous players in the game scoring wise in any situation in all of hockey to be doing stuff like this.

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

Thought I would put the video on here for those who haven't seen it. 

"Frankly I don't even know if Marchand was aware of Johansons body position there"    :help: 

I like to think I'm a pretty easy going guy...but I think if I ever met Jack Edwards in person I'd throw a flying elbow at his head..then tell him i wasn't really aware of his body position.

@flyercanuck

Exactly!! No doubt Marchand knew where Johansson was, no excuse. Impossible to defend. Again, I love the edge that Marchand plays with  but there is no reason for him to continually cross that line. His game speaks for itself that he has turned into one of the best wingers in the game today, he doesn't need this nonsense he just needs to play his hard style and keep it clean to get under peoples nerves.

If he weren't one of the games biggest and brightest, six suspensions in would he have gotten  a longer one? That kind of goes without saying I think. The moment he dips to a good player all this stupidity will no longer be condoned and the suspensions will start going up in length, As long as he is one of the games best a handful of games is the best we can hope for I guess.

Listening to the announcers on this one should be a must for anyone whom doesn't understand the phrase "homer".  This was Marchand being his old self, maybe it had been repressed so long he forgot about it until it just burst out.

jack.jpg

"I like to think I'm a pretty easy going guy...but I think if I ever met Jack Edwards in person I'd throw a flying elbow at his head..then tell him i wasn't really aware of his body position."

For some reason, NESN likes to hire a##holes.  Dale Arnold is a smart-mouth sissy,  and Edwards has a really irritating voice and attitude. 

9 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

"Frankly I don't even know if Marchand was aware of Johansons body position there"    :help: 

I like to think I'm a pretty easy going guy...but I think if I ever met Jack Edwards in person I'd throw a flying elbow at his head..then tell him i wasn't really aware of his body position.

Yea, if Marchand wasn't aware of Johansson's body position, then I am not aware I am posting on a hockey site.......

Look, Jack Edwards gets hazard pay for having to come up with reasons why Marchand's play and before him, Milan Lucic's play was "acceptable" in today's NHL.

It's what he does...he's done it for so long that I could see him explaining to the valet parking attendant, the guy that runs the elevator, the doorman, AND the hot dog vendor that Marchand just "plays a good hard game".

Anyways...that elbow thrown by The Rat would make my former Tae Kwon Do sabunim proud.

Nice rotation on the shoulder, lean in with the body, exert full force on a single targeted area.......... TEXTBOOK martial arts style elbow.

So, if Marchand wasn't aware of Johansson, then perhaps he just realized he needed to brush up before his karate classes later that evening and decided to do a few warm ups.......no harm intended....right, Jack?

Uh huh.... and maybe I think hfboards is better than HF.net too............. :ph34r:

Archived