2017-18 NHL Trade deadline

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again, someone please wake Kenny Holland up. 

Columbus mike drop best deadline of anyone, Letestu fills a need as a bottom six center and penalty killer, Cole under the radar depth d-man and Vanek helps fix their putrid power play. Great job out of Columbus.

Sorry if I'm repeating stuff already said, no time to read through the 6 pages....but the GM's are finally being frugal as a group. That 2nd rounder could save you money if the kid makes it. Even bigger trades have to eat 50% of the players salary. Geez...never thought I'd see the day. 

How far has Jack Johnson stock fell??  Columbus could not get a deal done, but will lose him to UFA for free next year. I guess they thought he was worth more than a later round draft pick....but maybe he helps out the 2nd or 3rd pairing and earns his keep. 

1 minute ago, AJgoal said:

Detroit gets a 1, 2, and 3 for Tatar.

McDonaugh to Tampa Bay.

OK...that is just poor asset management. I'd much rather use the picks....but I bet Vegas is counting on it being a late 1st rounder...

SOOOOOO....Stevie Y thinks he is one steady top 4 dman away from winning it all.....can't argue with that logic, the team speed, the depth at forward is there. McDonaugh is a nice piece to add and a TON of playoff experience to lean on...maybe steal some of the rooks ice time Sergachev once the playoffs start. 

6 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

SOOOOOO....Stevie Y thinks he is one steady top 4 dman away from winning it all.....can't argue with that logic, the team speed, the depth at forward is there. McDonaugh is a nice piece to add and a TON of playoff experience to lean on...maybe steal some of the rooks ice time Sergachev once the playoffs start. 

The way they are talking on the hockey network it is a MASSIVE DEAL. Details still not out.

Gonna miss Tats but love the return and the cap relief of moving him and Mrazek. Beyond po'd that Green didn't find a happy home for anything. He is gone at years end, hell even a third woulda been fine.

4 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

The way they are talking on the hockey network it is a MASSIVE DEAL. Details still not out.

Gonna miss Tats but love the return and the cap relief of moving him and Mrazek. Beyond po'd that Green didn't find a happy home for anything. He is gone at years end, hell even a third woulda been fine.

Obviously, the Wings are not winning the cup anytime soon (something that might just be sinking in with Holland...FINALLY)....but why not trade Howard, retain half the salary and still save cap space...keep the younger Mrazek??  Kinda odd....no?

50 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Conditional 1st (2nd unless the Sharks re-sign Kane) and conditional 4th. Not a horrible deal considering some of the others that have gone.

Given we have a zillion playmakers and not many goal scorers, its kind of fits.

WOW, yzerman sold high on Namestnikov and got McDonagh

My Bolts have upgraded with McDonagh and JT Miller....but man....I hate losing Namestnikov.

I am thinking Yzerman thinks someone else could do just as well with Stamkos and Kucherov on the top line in place of Namest....I certainly hope so.

Maybe Miller himself coming in....maybe TyJo gets put on the top line with Stammer and Kuch...maybe Gourde.

Mikhail Sergachev's name was bandied about earlier, but I am glad the Bolts decided on keeping him.

I believe he will be a Vladimir Malakhov type Russian defender (meaning good size, mobility, puck movement, some scoring ability) for years to come....and hopefully WITHOUT Malakhov's injury history!

Bolts give up top picks (1st and conditonal 2nd I am hearing) for the incoming Rangers as well..... and two prospects I don't know much about...Howden (C) and Hajek (D)..... Brett Howden's numbers look fantastic in the WHL though.

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Well your bolts didn't add Rackell but they went and got ya JT Milller....

Hajek is supposed to be a real deal d-prospect but they take years to develop, Howden will probably be a solid middle six scoring winger. Namestnikov ishaving a career year While I think he will be missed it is probably be a case of 'sell high' on him. Miller has more flexibility with the ability to play in all situations and either wing or even center in a pinch. McDonough will be a fantastic addition. The big thing is both are signed for this year and next. Smart asset management for a team who considers themselves to be in the SCF window...

Just a feeling I have, but I believe it's a lot easier for a GM to get fired these days for screwing up the salary cap. Before, the cap thing was an afterthought...the price of doing business etc. Now, owners are realizing that cap space is precious, they follow it closer and the misses with older guys who never produce stick out WAY more in this atmosphere.....THAT is why so many GM's are insisting the trading team keep half the salary. 

One signing here...AND WOW has Rutherford LOST IT???   31 year old Patrick Hornqvist get a 5 year deal at 5.3 mill...He is gonna SUCK for the last 2 years of that sucker!  BUT...Rutherford has more slack than non Cup winning GM's I believe, so the risk could be taken. 

Archived