In the last week Hak has...

King Knut

Is Hak's job dependent upon a playoff birth?  He's doing a bunch of out of character things. 

I mean it's working so maybe just a learning on the job thing, but I wonder. 

35 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Is Hak's job dependent upon a playoff birth?  He's doing a bunch of out of character things. 

I mean it's working so maybe just a learning on the job thing, but I wonder. 

Each time he would NOT do one of those things, or when he'd bench Konecney or Ghost or whatever that would make me scratch my head, it honestly seemed like he just didn't consider winning a priority.  Like... he can't be stupid enough to actually think that he's making the best choices to WIN GAMES here, there's obviously an ulterior goal... development most likely... who knows really.  I can't tell you why Manning or Lehtera would ever have been on the ice in the final two minutes of a close game.

With that in mind, my interpretation of recent events is simply that Hak has realized winning games is important and it's something he wants to take an active part in bringing about.  That's the best I've got. 

I really don't think it is dependent on a playoff birth this year, but if they don't get in this year, they'd better get to the ECFs for him to keep his job next year.  

6 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Sounds really painful. That's like...320 players.

I actually think Birth makes more sense than Berth... but it is what it is.  

I guess Berth is like, "you get a bunk on the playoff train." 

but really it feels like the team is emerging... essentially being BORN into the playoffs.  

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Is Hak's job dependent upon a playoff birth?

Nope.  He's got them 3rd in the division with 9 games to go.  If you would have wrote that on this board before this season nobody would have taken you seriously.   He's done his job and no matter what happens from here on out, he'll get another full year at least. 

14 minutes ago, Digityman said:

Nope.  He's got them 3rd in the division with 9 games to go.  If you would have wrote that on this board before this season nobody would have taken you seriously.   He's done his job and no matter what happens from here on out, he'll get another full year at least. 

Not only that, but 3 points out of 1st in the division. 

The way he's handled the young guys has worked out in their development. Provorov, check. Patrick, check. TK, check. Ghost, check. Sanheim, check. Hagg, check. Lindblom, check. 

The benchings, scratches, line shifting, etc, appear to have been smart, calculated moves that have helped these guys learn, take a breather, apply what they've learned, and earn more responsibility on the team. 

2 minutes ago, brelic said:

Not only that, but 3 points out of 1st in the division. 

The way he's handled the young guys has worked out in their development. Provorov, check. Patrick, check. TK, check. Ghost, check. Sanheim, check. Hagg, check. Lindblom, check. 

The benchings, scratches, line shifting, etc, appear to have been smart, calculated moves that have helped these guys learn, take a breather, apply what they've learned, and earn more responsibility on the team. 

I agree with you wholeheartedly.   He's done some unorthodox things that leave you scratching your head sometimes (timeouts, starting goalie..) but overall I think he's done a great job with this team and developing the players.  

Just putting Giroux on the wing and Coots up to 1C.  That took some real balls and that alone really made a huge difference in their season.  Nobody else thought of doing that (that I know of). 

5 minutes ago, brelic said:

It's really hard to argue with that.  

Just now, Digityman said:

I agree with you wholeheartedly.   He's done some unorthodox things that leave you scratching your head sometimes (timeouts, starting goalie..) but overall I think he's done a great job with this team and developing the players.  

Just putting Giroux on the wing and Coots up to 1C.  That took some real balls and that alone really made a huge difference in their season.  Nobody else thought of doing that (that I know of). 

Hard to argue with any of that either.

And don't think I don't want to!

7 minutes ago, Digityman said:

Totally. I don't think there's *any* coach that would NOT leave you scratching your head sometimes. Heck, Lavi's handling of the goaltenders is probably what led indirectly to the Flyers dealing away one of the best goaltenders in the league. Imagine having a two-time Vezina winner on this squad. Bobrovsky's the real deal, and most of us could see it.

On top of the Giroux move, he took Jake off the top line - one of the best in the NHL at the time - to spread the wealth and get Patrick going, and it worked. Plus, it got TK going too. 

I think one of the things people criticize Hak for - his "stubbornness" - is actually a virtue if you shift perspective and see it as "patience." He's not perfect, but no coach is. 

Whether or not he's the right guy moving forward, I don't know, but the Flyers are improving under his direction. 

Archived