Flyers 2018 draft discussion

ruxpin

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I'm really stunned Merkley is that high.

But remember Patrick O'sullivan was tabbed a top 5 talent too at one time.

You just have to trust your guys and your board at the end of the day....your job lives and dies in their hands.....

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know a lot about any prospects, but I do like the fact that the Flyers have a lot of possibilities and I am really interested to see what they do.  I can easily see them moving up to get a player they covet (I think #7 is about as high as they can get).  I can easily see them standing pat at 14 and 19.  And I can easily see them trading 19 to slide back a few spots if it means picking up another pick.  I think it's possible we will see a trade, but unlikely.  So, there's a lot of intrigue at this draft - without even having discussed players.

As mentioned, I don't know a lot about the players, but I would like to see the Flyers grab a skilled, scoring forward at #14.  Preferably a winger.  I'm kind of over prospects that play a "200 foot game."  I just think the organization lacks bona fide scorers and would place premium on that type of player above all else.  I'm glad Morgan Frost had a great year, but I was really hoping they'd take Eeli Tolvanen with that pick.  Judging by Hextall's past drafts, I think he will go with a safe, smart, all-around good player that stands a good chance of becoming an NHLer as opposed to choosing a skilled player who may have deficiencies in other areas.  Wouldn't mind if he traded up to get Wahlstrom.

Depending on what's available at 19, I'd lean toward a forward again, but have no problem going d-man.

32 minutes ago, vis said:

I don't know a lot about any prospects, but I do like the fact that the Flyers have a lot of possibilities and I am really interested to see what they do.  I can easily see them moving up to get a player they covet (I think #7 is about as high as they can get).  I can easily see them standing pat at 14 and 19.  And I can easily see them trading 19 to slide back a few spots if it means picking up another pick.  I think it's possible we will see a trade, but unlikely.  So, there's a lot of intrigue at this draft - without even having discussed players.

As mentioned, I don't know a lot about the players, but I would like to see the Flyers grab a skilled, scoring forward at #14.  Preferably a winger.  I'm kind of over prospects that play a "200 foot game."  I just think the organization lacks bona fide scorers and would place premium on that type of player above all else.  I'm glad Morgan Frost had a great year, but I was really hoping they'd take Eeli Tolvanen with that pick.  Judging by Hextall's past drafts, I think he will go with a safe, smart, all-around good player that stands a good chance of becoming an NHLer as opposed to choosing a skilled player who may have deficiencies in other areas.  Wouldn't mind if he traded up to get Wahlstrom.

Depending on what's available at 19, I'd lean toward a forward again, but have no problem going d-man.

We are definitely on the same boat here. Not really a flyers fan but I'm really curious to see what they do. 

1 hour ago, vis said:

I'm glad Morgan Frost had a great year, but I was really hoping they'd take Eeli Tolvanen with that pick

Well I will say this about Tolvanen is after his hot start in the KHL, teams started being physical with him and taking away his time and space and he stopped the scoring tear he was on.

Which was the knock on him at the draft due to his stature.

I think he may turn into something once he gets stronger and bigger it's also the reason the Preds didn't play him in the playoffs. He ain't ready.

I think Frost will be a good pick for the Flyers if given time to develop. He has already gotten bigger one more year of junior to dominate should do him some good.

Tolvanen needs to be given patience too to grow into the role as well.

Do the Preds have that kind of patience I can't say.

7 hours ago, vis said:

I'm glad Morgan Frost had a great year, but I was really hoping they'd take Eeli Tolvanen with that pick.

6 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well I will say this about Tolvanen is after his hot start in the KHL, teams started being physical with him and taking away his time and space and he stopped the scoring tear he was on.

I'm positive Hextall had Frost in mind when he made the Schenn trade. 

And honestly, if I had that to do over 100 times, I'm picking Frost over Tolvanen every single time.  Had he been a month younger, he'd have been in this draft and would have been top 10.    Had Tolvanen been younger (a lot more) he'd still have been rear end of first round or probably second round this year.  It was a brilliant pick.

7 hours ago, vis said:

I'm kind of over prospects that play a "200 foot game."  I just think the organization lacks bona fide scorers and would place premium on that type of player above all else

I'm with you on this part.  I think that's why I'm not hyper-excited about the prospect of drafting Veleno.  I actually think he'll be a quality player.  If the hope is to use your first round draft pick at 3C, that's awesome, but I think that's a waste.

7 hours ago, vis said:

I'm glad Morgan Frost had a great year, but I was really hoping they'd take Eeli Tolvanen with that pick.  Judging by Hextall's past drafts, I think he will go with a safe, smart, all-around good player that stands a good chance of becoming an NHLer as opposed to choosing a skilled player who may have deficiencies in other areas. 

I just wanted to say I found it odd that you immediately followed up the first statement (I agree)  with Frost as an example given that Frost is exactly the description of the bonafide scorer.  I also wouldn't classify Frost as the safe pick last year.  The Flyers' scouting department was apparently unanimous on him, but the Flyers as a team were an outlier.  They were sure they were right.  The way he blew up this year as an 18 year old..so far, so good.

I agree with the rest that there are so many variables and moving pieces that it's really hard to say what we come home with.  I think if we use both picks the prevailing wisdom is forward + defenseman, but I get the argument for 2 forwards and would be okay depending upon the forwards.  Veleno + Noel and I'm frustrated.   Veleno for the reasons I stated (I like the kid in general) and Noel because he's big and that's about it.

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I'm positive Hextall had Frost in mind when he made the Schenn trade. 

And honestly, if I had that to do over 100 times, I'm picking Frost over Tolvanen every single time.  Had he been a month younger, he'd have been in this draft and would have been top 10.    Had Tolvanen been younger (a lot more) he'd still have been rear end of first round or probably second round this year.  It was a brilliant pick.

I'm not bemoaning the Frost pick.  Just saying, at the time, I was hoping for Tolvanen because of his touted scoring ability.  I still think its something the Flyers need to address.

Just now, vis said:

I'm not bemoaning the Frost pick.  Just saying, at the time, I was hoping for Tolvanen because of his touted scoring ability.  I still think its something the Flyers need to address.

Yeah, I'd like a pure shooter who at least isn't a liability. Maybe like a Jeff Carter (not now, but just acknowledging the irony). 

But definitely agree we need to move to balance out the passers with shooters. 

I just wanted to say I found it odd that you immediately followed up the first statement (I agree)  with Frost as an example given that Frost is exactly the description of the bonafide scorer.  I also wouldn't classify Frost as the safe pick last year.  The Flyers' scouting department was apparently unanimous on him, but the Flyers as a team were an outlier.  They were sure they were right.  The way he blew up this year as an 18 year old..so far, so good.

The Frost pick was offboard, but it fit the Hextall draft pick profile: smart, two-way player.  I don't think, at the time, he was noted for goal scoring prowess unless I am misremembering.  I recall hearing that he could read plays and find open players.

I agree with the rest that there are so many variables and moving pieces that it's really hard to say what we come home with.  I think if we use both picks the prevailing wisdom is forward + defenseman, but I get the argument for 2 forwards and would be okay depending upon the forwards.  Veleno + Noel and I'm frustrated.   Veleno for the reasons I stated (I like the kid in general) and Noel because he's big and that's about it.

Like you, I wouldn't have an issue if they went for a forward and dman - depending on the players selected.

22 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, I'd like a pure shooter who at least isn't a liability. Maybe like a Jeff Carter (not now, but just acknowledging the irony). 

I know you're kidding, but I would take Jeff Carter. He would be an amazing 3C for the Flyers. 

#FrostedTips2019

40 minutes ago, vis said:

Frost is definitely a playmaker...but he proved he could score as well last year.

Patrick should score more goals each year. Same with Konecny. I think he was beginning to use his shot more...it was an issue that bothered me with him in junior. Ratcliffe could turn out to be a scorer. Lindblom should be able to improve there. We've also got Wade Allison coming who can score. If Strome can improve his skating he's already skilled. Sanheim and Myers should help upgrade the scoring from the point. 

54 minutes ago, brelic said:

I know you're kidding, but I would take Jeff Carter. He would be an amazing 3C for the Flyers. 

#FrostedTips2019

More just going for the irony of needing what we had and didn't appreciate (the last part includes me).

No, I would not be opposed to the idea even now.  Especially for 3C.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, I'd like a pure shooter who at least isn't a liability.

They have one coming his name is Wade Allison. He is just a year or two away.

Sorry no need to rush.

Konecny is a shooter as well.

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

They have one coming his name is Wade Allison

We touched on this briefly, I think.   There were reports that Hextall was trying to talk him into turning pro.  Is that to go to the AHL?  Or are they thinking to the NHL?    I'm not sure why he'd want to leave college for the Phantoms, but I have to assume Hextall's idea is AHL, right?

24 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

More just going for the irony of needing what we had and didn't appreciate (the last part includes me).

No, I would not be opposed to the idea even now.  Especially for 3C.

At 5 million a year? No thanks.

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

Is that to go to the AHL?

The AHL to start i think but if he looked good this past camp/preseason yeah he could have made the Flyers.

He has the size to make an immediate impact in the NHL he just would have to show - yes he is ready.

Point being he could start in the AHL and be brought up mid season. Can't do that in college.

He won't be available till his college team's season is over.

3 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

At 5 million a year? No thanks.

I don't know.  It's not the $5 million that bothers me.  His cap is only $272K more than Filppula with potentially a lot more return.

But it's that he still has four more years at that and he's 33 that gives me pause.   I think we'll need that cap space in years 3 and 4, and I wonder about his effectiveness at 36 and 37.   If he were a free agent, I'd offer a 2 year gig at a workable number.   It could even be higher than the current $5.25 million because we have the room the next two years.   But it would have to be a trade and his current contract, so it's no for me, too.

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

The AHL to start i think but if he looked good this past camp/preseason yeah he could have made the Flyers.

He has the size to make an immediate impact in the NHL he just would have to show - yes he is ready.

Point being he could start in the AHL and be brought up mid season. Can't do that in college.

He won't be available till his college team's season is over.

Yeah, I think I don't want him going directly from college to the NHL.  At least a stint with bigger guys in Lehigh and then bring him up.

If we do trade Simmonds this offseason, I think there may be some temptation to bring him up out of the gate.  I know Aube-Kubel is probably coming up, but I'm not sure of him at 3RW if that need arises.  

Let's not forget this is one of the current shooters....

...Flyers need one on every line though....

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

Let's not forget this is one of the current shooters....

...Flyers need one on every line though....

I saw that series of tweets from O'Connor.  The answer was 30th.

The fact that we're lifting up Konecny as a shooter only says  how bad the rest of the team is with it.   Yes, we need one on every line, but even the top line has to improve from there.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I don't know.  It's not the $5 million that bothers me.  His cap is only $272K more than Filppula with potentially a lot more return.

But it's that he still has four more years at that and he's 33 that gives me pause.   I think we'll need that cap space in years 3 and 4, and I wonder about his effectiveness at 36 and 37.   If he were a free agent, I'd offer a 2 year gig at a workable number.   It could even be higher than the current $5.25 million because we have the room the next two years.   But it would have to be a trade and his current contract, so it's no for me, too.

If they retained 25% of the cap hit, for example, it makes it much more palatable. 

13 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

The fact that we're lifting up Konecny as a shooter only says  how bad the rest of the team is with it.   Yes, we need one on every line, but even the top line has to improve from there.

I'm not lifting Konecny...I legitimately think he's got a pretty damn good shot, and I thought that before Philly drafted him. He was always one of those guys who always looked to pass...and then when you saw him shoot you were like "well why doesn't he do that more often?"

He buried 24 last season at 21 years of age. Pretty sure he could hit 30. That doesn't make him a sniper, but it certainly puts him into the "goal scorer" conversation in todays NHL. 

And you don't necessarily need 50 goal scorers if you can come up with several 25-30 g guys.

26 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I think we can expect an untick in goals from Patrick and Oskar next year.

If they can find some way to get Lehterable off the ice i think the 4th line can be more productive.

At this point i don't think you can expect anymore goals form G or Coots because they are passers. Jake as well as we all know.

Archived