Hakstol experiment over

trevluk

Wow Rux, since you obviously have a masters degree in verbatim chat room internet posting interpretation, I will help you out with your next response to this post. I am a lot of fun at parties. This is not a party. Its an internet chat group. There are no consequences to any of this stuff, its just opinions and thoughts. Nobody is YELLING. We are just TYPING on a keyboard. I'm sure the Flyers management is paying you handsomely for defending them in all our sharing of thoughts, I too commend you for it. Just remember this though as you go forth in the world. In order to get to the truth,( if the truth even matters to you) somebody's feelings will get hurt, and some overly sensitive people will take offense. Don't care, not my problem. And there is way more to be done than a goalie and a winger. Way more. (Thats the truth part)!

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

His attempted stick-handling through a small village.

Hahaha! Best description of Voracek ever.

12 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I don't think you'd get Boeser for that package, though.   If you can, I take a really long look at it.  I'd pause with Morin because of our prospects, he's the one that would actually bring size and some porch-clearing ability.   But given his health and given the fact he may ultimately be neutered in the same way as Gudas, I'd do this.

I think it would at least take a 1st rounder in addition to that package, though.   They have a nice thing coming with Boeser and Horvat.  They'd be foolish to ruin that for Voracek.

I'll always ask the same question when these fantasy trade proposals come up -

Would you trade Konecny for Voracek and Morin?

I certainly wouldn't, and I would wonder why on earth Vancouver would trade away a solid, young, impressive building block for Voracek at a time where they are behind us in the rebuild. 

Here's some perspective from a Jets discussion forum in October 2016:

"Posted October 24, 2016

Yes we're young, but we still shouldn't be so unprepared to play the games (particularly our ghastly 2nd period efforts). In light of that, how much rope should Paul Maurice get?"

The Flyers are moving in the right direction.  I figure they are 2 years behind the Jets in rounding out the team - the main differences is that the Jets didn't already have a Giroux or Voracek type player - but they did have Wheeler & Buff.  They did let Ladd walk (for good reason) and filled the hole with skilled youth (Ehlers).  They Flyers have also drafted well and I see good things over the next few years.  I do think the Flyers will have the best blueline in the league in the next 2 or 3 years and they have finally some proper goalie prospects to work with.  

I resealed my driveway instead of watching the game yesterday, but I'm booking my couch in April, May and June of 2020.

54 minutes ago, Clarke2Leach said:

I resealed my driveway instead of watching the game yesterday, but I'm booking my couch in April, May and June of 2020.

I think that's a valid time frame. 

I was on the road yesterday. I did get to see a little over the last half of the second and the first half of the third (from a Pittsburgh heavy sports bar. They weren't happy with my loudly cheering Couturier's two goals!).  

I've pretty much resigned myself to the idea that Gudas will still be clogging up improvement on the defense next year (he was HORRIBLE).  But I think if we stick with the plan your time frame is pretty accurate. 

5 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I've pretty much resigned myself to the idea that Gudas will still be clogging up improvement on the defense next year (he was HORRIBLE).  But I think if we stick with the plan your time frame is pretty accurate. 

Mark Stuart says hello.  Pretty much the same player for the Jets. There will be a proper time to say "see ya".

6 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I've pretty much resigned myself to the idea that Gudas will still be clogging up improvement on the defense next year (he was HORRIBLE)

Well i was thinking since they are related now....maybe the Flyers can do a two for one deal...

....send Neuvy and Gudas to a team say for a bucket of bent pucks...if for no other reason to clear about 5.2 mill...

...not sure who would that be but Ron has traded Pronger and Vinny so hope he has some magic left.

On 4/23/2018 at 2:46 PM, OccamsRazor said:

Well i was thinking since they are related now....maybe the Flyers can do a two for one deal...

....send Neuvy and Gudas to a team say for a bucket of bent pucks...if for no other reason to clear about 5.2 mill...

...not sure who would that be but Ron has traded Pronger and Vinny so hope he has some magic left. Hopefully soon an announcement will come saying Dave wussstol has been fired..

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I can't see Dave being fired. He was signed to a 5 year deal....i think he'll get 5 years.

Yeah, I think you're right. Definitely 4, anyway. 

That's too bad. A possible Tavares signing or a grabber acquisition and maybe an upgrade at goalie like cam ward and things could go well. But this DEACON coach takes all the hostility and anger out of this team...Sad..

A great read on the team and it's past year but a really good read on the head coach....

Speaking of veteran presence, let’s get into Dave Hakstol.

Hakstol’s biggest flaw is his affinity for a veteran presence. He prefers more-experienced players that play a safer game, even when those players are less skilled and, to put it bluntly, worse than his other options. In fact, Hakstol’s overreliance on veterans might be one of his only flaws. The trouble is that it is a huge flaw and an overarching one. It impacts his lineup choices, player usage on the ice, time on ice, and more.

Those flaws were magnified and exposed to a bigger stage during the playoffs. In short, the mistakes that Hakstol made during the first-round series against the Penguins showed why he might get fired. They were the reasons that will be pointed at when he does get fired. There wasn’t a ton he could’ve done to change things in a few of the games, but there were plenty of mistakes made.

Hakstol made minimal (if any) in-game adjustments, managed his goalies poorly, relied too much on his veterans, and kept trotting his veterans back out there after they made mistakes. He gave the veterans a lot more ice time than the younger, better players. Throughout the series Oskar Lindblom, Jordan Weal, Travis Sanheim, and Robert Häggwere healthy scratches while Jori Lehtera, Dale Weise, Brandon Manning, and Radko Gudas were in the lineup.

Going straight from college to coaching in the NHL could be the cause of Hakstol’s over reliance on veterans. It’s strictly speculation on my part, but in college hockey there is likely a lot more importance in experience. Seniors and juniors are older, more physically mature, and actually have more experience playing that type of game. But that changes in the NHL. All of these players are at a different level and experience doesn’t mean as much, especially in the regular season. You can’t have a team full of rookies or young players, but a good player with a few years of experience shouldn’t be docked that much for a veteran that has played poorly.

A short series magnifies Hakstol’s flaws and other teams can take advantage of that. He is still growing as an NHL coach, but three seasons is a pretty good length of time to figure it out. We’ll see if he can improve next season.

With that being said, Hakstol was the recipient of way too much criticism this season. He isn’t a great coach, he might not even be a good coach. Hell, he could even be a bad coach. But he brings some positives to the table and did not hold this team back. The team did not win in spite of him.

Hakstol was brought in to coach the Flyers because he has a track record of being a good coach that can develop younger players. He has done that in the NHL. Whether you want to give Hakstol any credit for it or not, all of the Flyers young players have developed well over the past few seasons. Provorov, Konecny, Gostisbehere, Patrick, Lindblom, Sanheim, Hagg, and others have all become better players. Yes, that was bound to happen anyway given their skill, but Hakstol has guided them on the right path.

He gave Patrick and Konecny lesser roles in the beginning of the season when they were struggling. He took his time with them and it paid off. An argument can be made that he waited a bit too long before promoting them back up to a larger role, but the players proved themselves in that smaller role, outplayed it, and Hakstol gave them a larger role. He handled every young player differently and they have all developed properly in these first few years.

Another thing that Hakstol does well is something that gets joked about most of the time. He keeps a calm demeanor, and that is important over the course of an 82-game season. It cant be a weakness in a playoff series when calmness turns to stubbornness, but he is able to keep a locker room together in the face of adversity. The Flyers were mostly the same during their 10-game winning streak in 2016-17, and their 10-game losing streak this past season. They took it one game at a time and kept pushing. Hakstol deserves some credit for that.

Hakstol will likely not be the guy to put this team over the top, but he doesn’t need to be. He needs to do what he was brought in to do, and he’s doing that so far. His status will hinge on whether or not he can grow with the players. If he can, we’ll see some of these flaws go away next season. If he can’t, he’ll find himself out the door and a coach with a winning pedigree will be brought in.

http://sonsofpenn.com/flyers-2017-18-season-review-recap-foundation-future-success-patrick-konecny-potentially-fatal-flaws-hakstol-polarizing/

Enjoy...

2 hours ago, Kastompa01 said:

Grabner 

Lol. I thought grabber was some kind of reference to Giroux. 

I've listed Ward as a possibility, but I don't think he's actually much of an upgrade at this point.  If he's willing to platoon with Elliott for $2.5 - $3M, I'd think about it, though. 

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

I've listed Ward as a possibility, but I don't think he's actually much of an upgrade at this point. 

No he is not but i will say i would look at Grabner for real.

18 minutes ago, Kastompa01 said:

I said ward because I'm not sure who else could be traded for. I know not quick...Maybe the sharks backup goalie.. 

Yeah, I've honestly thought of Ward, too.   Mostly because he will be UFA and is of an age where he might be willing to tandem or backup at a reasonable price and also do only a 2-year term.  It may be an okay option among not great choices.   It would probably ultimately be more of the same in Philly net, but I don't think he'd be nearly as bad as Mrazek and more reliable than Neuvirth.

48 minutes ago, Kastompa01 said:

I said ward because I'm not sure who else could be traded for. I know not quick...Maybe the sharks backup goalie.. 

My personal choice would be Carter Hutton just because he is a UFA and shouldn't break the bank...

17 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

My personal choice would be Carter Hutton just because he is a UFA and shouldn't break the bank...

I think that would be a good signing

34 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I think that would be a good signing

I'd take him over Elliott right now. Well depending on the term...

...you ain't going to get better without some trade...

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'd take him over Elliott right now. Well depending on the term...

...you ain't going to get better without some trade...

Agreed. At the very worst, it would be someone capable to split time. 

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

Agreed. At the very worst, it would be someone capable to split time. 

I would listen to trade suggestions but i don't want to give up much unless it is a stud guys who be here 3-4 years till we know Hart or Sandstrom is ready to take the reins.

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I would listen to trade suggestions but i don't want to give up much unless it is a stud guys who be here 3-4 years till we know Hart or Sandstrom is ready to take the reins.

I like the Hutton idea. I agree that a trade would require things we wouldn't be happy about. 

Archived