2018 Minnesota Wild Draft Discussion .......

pilldoc

Fast forward to 14:25 to hear his take on the Wild's 1st round pick.  Yea, the guy seems like a glass half full guy and just like the rest of experts...couldn't wait to talk about someone else which means the pick was a total goofball selection.  

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, bbgarnett said:

@CreaseAndAssist I think you posted the wrong video or for me at least comes up as the odds of any team being moved video? I think you meant 14:25 mark of this one

1 hour ago, bbgarnett said:

@CreaseAndAssist I think you posted the wrong video or for me at least comes up as the odds of any team being moved video? I think you meant 14:25 mark of this one

Strange why it copied that one.  The video you have is the one I meant to use.  

30 minutes ago, bbgarnett said:

@CreaseAndAssist Well, I think you were watching the video as part of a playlist so the link will always be for the playlist and so when you copy it into a forum or what have you it will always start with the first video in the playlist.

Nailed it...

On 6/27/2018 at 12:10 PM, CreaseAndAssist said:

Yea, the guy seems like a glass half full guy and just like the rest of experts...couldn't wait to talk about someone else which means the pick was a total goofball selection.  

I subscribed to Shannon's YouTube channel over a year ago. I'm a pretty big fan. His coverage is pretty straight forward and without bias, which is why he's grown from a few thousand subscribers to 50k today. During the season he does about a ten to fifteen minute video previewing the nights games and then he reviews the games when they are over. It's nice to have that type of coverage in the States. He lives in Vancouver but doesn't really favor them. He's as much a Bruins and Stars fan as he is a Canucks fan. 

He's changed the way I watch the game. I follow the league as a whole much more than I did in the past. The Wild franchise isn't really that interesting to me. Not like it used to be anyway. 

1 hour ago, Jagged Ice said:

I subscribed to Shannon's YouTube channel over a year ago. I'm a pretty big fan. His coverage is pretty straight forward and without bias, which is why he's grown from a few thousand subscribers to 50k today. During the season he does about a ten to fifteen minute video previewing the nights games and then he reviews the games when they are over. It's nice to have that type of coverage in the States. He lives in Vancouver but doesn't really favor them. He's as much a Bruins and Stars fan as he is a Canucks fan. 

He's changed the way I watch the game. I follow the league as a whole much more than I did in the past. The Wild franchise isn't really that interesting to me. Not like it used to be anyway. 

I don't blame anyone for not being as interested in the Wild anymore.  Its kind of sad really.  As far as this guy's podcast goes.  Its ok to me.  But just my opinion he seems to be heavily influenced by the Canadian media sources around him.  Either way, he seems like an uber passionate hockey fan.  The fact he changes the way you look at games is cool; its always great making a connection like that.  

I haven't really done much looking into YouTubers for hockey beyond my friends at 3 in the Box, but I would say I've made those kind of connections with gaming so I understand how that can be an enlightening experience.  

But since he had a following I thought I might as well integrate his lack of opinion on our top pick; which joins a huge collection unfavorable or blah opinions about our top selection in the draft this summer.  

So what really is in the water around here (in Minnesota?) Fans are discouraged and Leipold fires his GM (Chuck Fletcher) then hires Paul Fenton... It lifts the hopes of some folks but after so many disappointments most see the new hire as something less than a parallel move on Leipold's part to change the color of the drapes without changing anything else in the room as to not disturb the dust that's lingering all throughout the rest of the house.

Then they have a pow-wow (press conference) introducing the new toy in town, with promises that the whole organization will get a thorough going-over to evaluate what all needs to be tweaked... Then prepare for the upcoming draft.

The Wild's top brass must have all still been higher than a kite from smoking all the worn out crayons they used to establish their draft prospects... And they're the only ones delighted about selecting a 3rd rounder with their 24th pick in the 1st round.

What makes the Minnesota Wild ownership, staff and players stupid once they cross the states' border and enter into The State of Hockey?

18 minutes ago, rottenrefs said:

So what really is in the water around here (in Minnesota?) Fans are discouraged and Leipold fires his GM (Chuck Fletcher) then hires Paul Fenton... It lifts the hopes of some folks but after so many disappointments most see the new hire as something less than a parallel move on Leipold's part to change the color of the drapes without changing anything else in the room as to not disturb the dust that's lingering all throughout the rest of the house.

Then they have a pow-wow (press conference) introducing the new toy in town, with promises that the whole organization will get a thorough going-over to evaluate what all needs to be tweaked... Then prepare for the upcoming draft.

The Wild's top brass must have all still been higher than a kite from smoking all the worn out crayons they used to establish their draft prospects... And they're the only ones delighted about selecting a 3rd rounder with their 24th pick in the 1st round.

What makes the Minnesota Wild ownership, staff and players stupid once they cross the states' border and enter into The State of Hockey?

Simply put, we the sheeple...

35 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

That and the fact that there is absolutely no pressure from the fans or the press on any of the players or the team to produce.

Leipold says the team isn't good enough. I wonder if ticket sales have started to dip, or if he wants to get deeper into the playoffs so he gets more money to pay off those two gold plated boat anchors he just had to have...

2 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Actually the contrary... Outnumbered by the sheeple. Which in itself is embarrassing considering there's so many huge hockey fans here in Minnesota.

The way I see it there's hundreds of thousands of really sharp hockey fans here and most of them have over the years escaped the grips of tolerating such foolish nonsense the Wild keep embarking on. The same goes for the North Stars when they were here too.

What needs to happen is educate the uneducated fans who keep blindly filling the stands. In all honesty that's what happened to the North Stars. Not that I want the Wild to move or fold, I do want them to stop taking advantage of all the easy money here that keeps them afloat with just above average hockey.

What's really stupid is they keep catering to the small market they hold themselves within instead of pushing about 3% harder to get about an 80% following.

45 minutes ago, rottenrefs said:

Actually the contrary... Outnumbered by the sheeple. Which in itself is embarrassing considering there's so many huge hockey fans here in Minnesota.

The way I see it there's hundreds of thousands of really sharp hockey fans here and most of them have over the years escaped the grips of tolerating such foolish nonsense the Wild keep embarking on. The same goes for the North Stars when they were here too.

What needs to happen is educate the uneducated fans who keep blindly filling the stands. In all honesty that's what happened to the North Stars. Not that I want the Wild to move or fold, I do want them to stop taking advantage of all the easy money here that keeps them afloat with just above average hockey.

What's really stupid is they keep catering to the small market they hold themselves within instead of pushing about 3% harder to get about an 80% following.

There are lots of sports fans who as sad as it may sound are just glad NHL hockey is back.  I've noticed when I've talked to other fans about the team; the die hards often critique the team...the casual to homer fans will watch and attend games...and they only get upset when anyone dare criticize the team.  They'll quickly disqualify any opinion unless it follows the company line.  

Indeed, there are lot of sheeple out there.  Are ticket sales down?  I think its been a tougher sell with more options out there for sportsfan dollars.  The Wolves being a tad bit more competitive probably hasn't helped among the casual crowd.  

Educated or uneducated...I find the lower bowl are casual fans since many of those tickets are corporate handouts.  The nosebleeds are where the die hards sit; middle class people with the only seats they can afford.  

Honestly, is anyone here still a Season Ticket Holder?  

2 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

That and the fact that there is absolutely no pressure from the fans or the press on any of the players or the team to produce.

Leipold says the team isn't good enough. I wonder if ticket sales have started to dip, or if he wants to get deeper into the playoffs so he gets more money to pay off those two gold plated boat anchors he just had to have...

Last week, Russo said something during a live chat he led among The Athletic subscribers.  Questions were asked about Paul Fenton's want to keep information to himself compared to the relative openness of Chuck Fletcher (who by the way just got a job with the NJ Devils).  Russo said he will continue to work on Fenton with the hope he can be a conduit between the team and the fans; which seemed to indicate that is how he saw himself.  That kind of breaks the journalism code doesn't it?  It sounds like he wants to be there to help the team to shape their news to the fanbase...

I’m still willing to give fenton a chance. After the mess Fletcher made of this team it will take more than a few months to straighten out. 

I have a feeling now that the draft is over things will start to change. 

Did anyone notice a week after the f—up draft we have a new assistant gm. 

Give him time

37 minutes ago, Tomdog said:

I’m still willing to give fenton a chance. After the mess Fletcher made of this team it will take more than a few months to straighten out. 

Give him time

(shrugs)  We shall see.  Needless to say, it was kind of a rough start.  

12 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Last week, Russo said something during a live chat he led among The Athletic subscribers.  Questions were asked about Paul Fenton's want to keep information to himself compared to the relative openness of Chuck Fletcher (who by the way just got a job with the NJ Devils).  Russo said he will continue to work on Fenton with the hope he can be a conduit between the team and the fans; which seemed to indicate that is how he saw himself.  That kind of breaks the journalism code doesn't it?  It sounds like he wants to be there to help the team to shape their news to the fanbase...

I don't think it breaks any kind of code. One of the core resposibilities of someone in Russo's position is to be the conduit between the team and the fans, right? I just see it as him trying to to his job.

9 hours ago, Tomdog said:

Give him time

It seems the mess Chuck Fletcher got himself into was the same type of mess Dumpster Doug ran into. They gave too many of the wrong players bad contracts. With players used to running the team more than the GM's Fenton has his work cut out for himself.

I think Fletcher’s biggest failing was evaluating talent and value. 

We went from a d core of suter, spurgeon. Scandela, dumba. Brodin, folin. To a weakness of needing to find a defenseman. 

We traded one bad contract for a smaller bad contract but a more worthless player. 

We gave away 2 players of need to potentially save 1 player where we had depth. 

That will be a lot to overcome. 

4 hours ago, sweetshot said:

I don't think it breaks any kind of code. One of the core resposibilities of someone in Russo's position is to be the conduit between the team and the fans, right? I just see it as him trying to to his job.

Oh, so he can be fully objective when the team may cut him off for articles he might wish to write?  He said in his most recent podcast the scouts were pretty mad when he did his 10-year run down of their drafts.  He didn't even editorialize, but they were angry with him.  While he stated it was just the facts, he also wants to be that conduit.  IMO, he's setting himself up to serve two masters and you can't do that.  He can't be fully objective if he has to caution himself from being too critical of the team's moves and decisions.  

He likes to pride himself as a reporter...IMO, a conduit sounds like your being used as a propaganda tool.  

9 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Oh, so he can be fully objective when the team may cut him off for articles he might wish to write?  He said in his most recent podcast the scouts were pretty mad when he did his 10-year run down of their drafts.  He didn't even editorialize, but they were angry with him.  While he stated it was just the facts, he also wants to be that conduit.  IMO, he's setting himself up to serve two masters and you can't do that.  He can't be fully objective if he has to caution himself from being too critical of the team's moves and decisions.  

He likes to pride himself as a reporter...IMO, a conduit sounds like your being used as a propaganda tool.  

Any beat writer is the conduit between the team and the fans--that's essentially what they are. Use a different word if you like. If Russo is just stating the facts and not editorializing, why should he care(or anyone else) if the scouts don't like it. Does'nt he ultimately answer to the Athletic anyway? Why would he need to compromise his objectivity writing anything about the Wild if that is the case? IMO the fact he works for the Athletic actually makes him less likely to worry about objectivity than when he worked for the Wild.

1. Never bite the hand that feeds you.

It's 100% likely that if any writer having access to the staff and players started dropping dirt on them, that access would quickly cease. It's also likely if he were to go that route with the Strib and/or the Athletic he wouldn't get a warm fuzzy from them. They too would lose access. There's a lot at stake.

15 hours ago, rottenrefs said:

1. Never bite the hand that feeds you.

It's 100% likely that if any writer having access to the staff and players started dropping dirt on them, that access would quickly cease. It's also likely if he were to go that route with the Strib and/or the Athletic he wouldn't get a warm fuzzy from them. They too would lose access. There's a lot at stake.

I've always thought Russo did a pretty good job reporting on the Wild. When they made a bad decision, or played like crap, he wasn't afraid to call them on it. Compare him to LaVelle E. Neal III the StarTribune Twins beat writer. He never says anything bad about the Twins. The Twins could sign a tree stump as their starting pitcher and he'll act like the Twins just signed the next Cy Young Award Winner...

5 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

I've always thought Russo did a pretty good job reporting on the Wild. When they made a bad decision, or played like crap, he wasn't afraid to call them on it. Compare him to LaVelle E. Neal III the StarTribune Twins beat writer. He never says anything bad about the Twins. The Twins could sign a tree stump as their starting pitcher and he'll act like the Twins just signed the next Cy Young Award Winner...

Russo was never shy about calling out any of the younger players but was timid to kind if calling out any vets.

Archived