It's all about the vets

brelic

I’m not a huge Vigneult fan, but he’s not a terrible option.  I think Hextall would be nuts to go with someone lacking NHL head coaching experience.  You know, since it’s worked out so well for him in the past.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/26/2018 at 4:15 PM, pilldoc said:

Which begs of another question that must be asked ........   Is Hak's time with this team up????  I mean seriously we are asking the very same questions this year that we asked last year and the year before that and the year before that.

This is now the start of the 4th year for Hak.  One would think he should start to be "getting it" by now.  I know many have given him a pass, but he is simply not growing as a NHL coach. 

I think Hexy really needs to start looking at other coaching options from top to bottom..... Am I wrong here?????????

You are not at all wrong. This is supposed to be the time where having the patience of the previous three years of developing a relationship between the players and the coach, and developing the coach at the NHL level is paying off.

It's not.

When a coach comes out and says it's time to "sack up" and the team goes out and gets blown out 6-1 by the Islanders on home ice, that's a total vote of no confidence. I don't know how that can be anything else.

I mean, that's Ruslan Fedotenko and Marty Murray being the only goal scorers in a five game playoff series bad.

32 minutes ago, radoran said:

I mean, that's Ruslan Fedotenko and Marty Murray being the only goal scorers in a five game playoff series bad.

Thanks for reminding me...that was locked out of my vault of selective memories.

I hate you. 

On 10/26/2018 at 12:41 PM, brelic said:

Fair enough on Toronto. I was spitballing, and I know that would never get the deal done. The conversation probably starts and ends with Ghost or Provorov. 

But with Columbus, it's been well publicized that Panarin wants to test free agency, and chances are he will bolt. Bob will probably leave too. So it gives them a chance to get some sort of return. And Voracek is a pretty nice return.

Bingo on Panarin, so my question is why give up an asset to a divisional rival for him?  

Either send them Simmonds or just wait for the off season because Columbus is more likely to use Simmonds appropriately and kill us. 

40 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Bingo on Panarin, so my question is why give up an asset to a divisional rival for him?  

Either send them Simmonds or just wait for the off season because Columbus is more likely to use Simmonds appropriately and kill us. 

I would give them Jake. But i ain't moving Ghost, Ivan or Sanheim.

Panarin is only on the books for this year so in order to add more to that deal i would have to sign him to a new deal first.

So very likely a deal like this doesn't go down. I can't see Columbus dealing within the same division.

And if they do i think the Rangers would lead the charge.

4 hours ago, King Knut said:

Either send them Simmonds or just wait for the off season because Columbus is more likely to use Simmonds appropriate ly and kill us. 

The only reason to do it now is to preempt his UFA status (which to me should be a condition of the deal) and get him for sure rather than possibly losing out in free agency. 

13 hours ago, brelic said:

The only reason to do it now is to preempt his UFA status (which to me should be a condition of the deal) and get him for sure rather than possibly losing out in free agency. 

I agree, but I don't want to send a divisional rival what we'd have to send them to get that kind of a deal.  If they don't get themselves above .500 soon (and I mean start actually looking good) I'd send them Simmonds straight up, and let the chips fall where they may.  

The part I can't shake is that I don't want to trade talented prospects because I still legitimately believe this team is worlds better than what we're seeing and I kinda have to put most of what's wrong now on the coach.

I know it's the easy way out, but I didn't feel the same way about Stevens or Laviolette (I did about Berube) so it's not my default blame game.

I don't want to spend assets to bring in a win now fantastic player that will just get underutilized and not perform well.

We have all seen what Giroux and Ghost and Simmonds and Jake and Konecny and especially Ghost are all capable of.  We have seen glimpses of how dominating Couturier can be.  Yet we are just simply seeing the entire team get shut down systematically.

When it's EVERY DAMN PLAYER looking completely outclassed and the most skilled of the skill players aren't doing anything skill oriented, the simplest solution to my mind's eye is that there is a serious problem behind the bench. 

"Try Harder" wasn't a good excuse when Chief was the coach and it doesn't work for me now. 

I don't think Hakstol can cut it at the NHL level.  He had a track record of producing really strong responsible individual players, but even in the NCAA (which let's face it, is about the 5th or 6th most competitive league in North America) he never got past the Frozen Four.  

Not that I think it's easy or anything... I'm just saying adapting and upping his team's compete levels when it counts seem to be his major failing then and it seems to be what's keeping his team from even getting out of the gate now.

Make him director of player development until he can get a good NCAA job again.  But he and everyone on his staff needs to go right now.  It's shameful

Just throwing this out there would you be ok with trading Simmer for a sort of reclamation type project??

Just gauging interest...here not even saying the other team would go for it.

Wayne Simmonds for Jesse Puljujarvi????

What do you think??

Hard to call a 20 year old a reclamation project but Oilers have not been happy with his progress.

This type of move is the one if it blows up could get a GM fired but what the hell let's talk about it.

Jesse was a 4th overall so it might take more than just one year for Simmer....so thoughts?? 

Archived