Two years away from being two years away

brelic

4 hours ago, King Knut said:

I actually think Talbot might be a good choice, but he, Bob and Varlamov are all within a year of each other age wise.

I can't see any of those teams letting those guys walk....for one they don't have a plan B when they do.

In order for the teams to let those guys walk they need to have someone ready to take their place. And none of those teams have someone groomed to do that. Grubauer is in Colorado but he is what he is.... a backup.

I think Flyers are going to have to get creative a swing a trade maybe for that guy...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I can't see any of those teams letting those guys walk....for one they don't have a plan B when they do.

In order for the teams to let those guys walk they need to have someone ready to take their place. And none of those teams have someone groomed to do that. Grubauer is in Colorado but he is what he is.... a backup.

I think Flyers are going to have to get creative a swing a trade maybe for that guy...

Well, none are restricted free agents, so they might not have a choice.  

And the avs, as you pointed out, went and got Grubauer specifically, so they at least do have some plan  B even if you think he’s just a backup. They may be hoping to retain Varlamov, but Grubauer Was never going to be more valuable and they want and got him anyway.  To boot, they’re paying him more to be their backup than we’re paying any of our 6 goalies. He may have been a backup so far, but would you take him over anyone on our 2 pro teams not named Hart?  I probably would. 

Maybe Bob will be Edmonton’s plan B.

I genuinely think Talbot might be sick of Edmonton but I forget what I read that makes me think that. 

18 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Well, none are restricted free agents, so they might not have a choice.  

And the avs, as you pointed out, went and got Grubauer specifically, so they at least do have some plan  B even if you think he’s just a backup. They may be hoping to retain Varlamov, but Grubauer Was never going to be more valuable and they want and got him anyway.  To boot, they’re paying him more to be their backup than we’re paying any of our 6 goalies. He may have been a backup so far, but would you take him over anyone on our 2 pro teams not named Hart?  I probably would. 

Maybe Bob will be Edmonton’s plan B.

I genuinely think Talbot might be sick of Edmonton but I forget what I read that makes me think that. 

Sure.

But if those teams look out there the players have the leverage.

I am sure if they can't work something out before the trade deadline then those teams could make a move to plan for that.

All I know I really don't want to go into next year with Elliott or Neuvy penciled in the be the starter. I hope Hextall has a better plan.

Praying!

Flyers PP - 12.7% (29th)

Flyers PP first 4 games - 5/20 (25%) - That would put us 10th right now.

Flyers PP next 15 games - 3/43 (6.9%) - That would put us 31st right now.

Over those 15 games, they scored a PPG an average of once every five games.

Flyers PK - 71.2% (30th)

Flyers PK first 4 games - 13/19 (68.4%) - That would put us 30th right now

Flyers PK next 15 games - 34/47 (72.3%) - That would put us 28th right now.

Just to be a mediocre team on the PK (15th), the Flyers would need to work at 80.7% (Dallas right now).

Amazingly, with a 30th ranked PK and a 29th ranked PP, the Flyers went 7-7-1 over the last 15 games with those atrocious special teams. 

Even more amazing, the Predators are 1st overall in the league with the 31st ranked PP (10.8%) and 18th PK (78.7%).

19 hours ago, brelic said:

What gives?

Good questions and observations.  A few thoughts:

There is so much parity in the league.  I think most teams have a good shot to win most nights.  Look at the standings in the Eastern Conference: 10 points separate the first and last place teams.  That's pretty ridiculous.  It's also very early in the season, so a team's record may be skewed by an early season winning or losing streak.  Curious to see how things play out over time.

More specifically to the teams you mentioned, I think all have experienced some sort of change in culture or mentality.  Lou and Trotz bring legitimacy to that franchise.  Plus, the players can rally around Tavares rejecting (it also helps that they are getting good goaltending; and, yes, Trotz is a good coach).  I don't know what's going on in Montreal since I don't follow closely.  But they did get rid of two persistent question marks in Galchenyuk and Pacioretty.  Maybe that eased some tension and distraction.  Domi has been sensational for them as well.  The Rangers have a new coach and approach and have brought in some good, young players.  When the organization announced that they would be rebuilding, that probably took some pressure off the players and allowed them to just go out and play.

In a league with so much parity, the culture and mentality surrounding a team can be a big difference maker.  Look at what Vegas accomplished last year vs. where they are this year.

9 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

20182019_20278_all.png

Ok, help me out here: shouldn't that map, with those colours, correlate with a Flyer win? Didn't we lose 3-0?

I didn't watch the game, or even read the recap or look at the box score or anything.

So let me guess based on that picture alone: our goaltending sucks assss?

Am I close?

Please for the love of God can they give Lyon a game.

Tampa is down a goalie for over a month so there is a chance if someone is waived this time they could be getting claimed.

Tampa has already claimed Martel i would hate for them to snag Lyon....Pickard i wouldn't care.

Just now, Podein25 said:

So let me guess based on that picture alone: our goaltending sucks assss?

Where have you been you are just figuring that out???

This is Elliott's signature statue move...

giphy.gif

...then how about this stinker....

giphy.gif

...yeah he better fake an injury after this shi ity attempt...

giphy.gif

...Flyers have the NHL worst 885% in net....yeah real stinky....thanks Hextall!!!

nd then when you hit 5 or 6 posts or can't bury an easy one like this....an empty net...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

...they can't even score with an extra man on the ice....i give up....you lose the damn game!!

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Where have you been you are just figuring that out???

This is Elliott's signature statue move...

giphy.gif

...then how about this stinker....

giphy.gif

...yeah he better fake an injury after this shi ity attempt...

giphy.gif

...Flyers have the NHL worst 885% in net....yeah real stinky....thanks Hextall!!!

nd then when you hit 5 or 6 posts or can't bury an easy one like this....an empty net...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

...they can't even score with an extra man on the ice....i give up....you lose the damn game!!

Yeah I get that. I'm just saying, based on the heat maps alone, you'd think we should win that game. But we lost. Therefore, what it shows is that our goaltending is crap. It's just kind a funny that's all. I'm all about the heat maps. They're like art. 

After 20 games, Flyers are 9-9-2 for 20 points, 5th in the Metro.

2 points out of a playoff spot, 3 points out of the Eastern conference basement (Pitts has two games in hand on the Flyers).

Currently on a 3 game losing streak.

Last year at this time, the Flyers were 8-8-4, for 20 points. 

They were 4 games in to their 10 game losing streak. 

So if the Flyers want to make the playoffs and reach 100 points, they pretty much need to play the same way they did last year over the final 60 games. Which is to say a top 5 team in the league.

Given that our goaltending (30th), PK (31st), and PP (24th) are all worse than last year, that's a stretch. 

3 minutes ago, brelic said:

2 points out of a playoff spot, 3 points out of the Eastern conference basement (Pitts has two games in hand on the Flyers).

So if the Flyers want to make the playoffs and reach 100 points, they pretty much need to play the same way they did last year over the final 60 games. Which is to say a top 5 team in the league.

Given that our goaltending (30th), PK (31st), and PP (24th) are all worse than last year, that's a stretch. 

But GRITTY!!!.....What about GRITTY!?!?

Seriously though....that's discouraging as hell.....thanks for that.

Wash...Rinse....Repeat?

Does anyone remember earlier in the year when it was reported the Flyers were interested in Mike Smith from the Flames.

And i was quick to say no. 

Well now i am changing my stance if they were to take Elliott or even Neuvy in return i say hell yeah why not...nothing to lose at this point.

It would be a change in net....sure it may be no different that Elliottor or Neuvy but they have the cap space and i would be willing to just say f**k it and try it...now feel free to report me and no i am sober...

Just heard something interesting from Charlie O'Connor on BSH Radio.

Flyers PK is currently 68.6%. Ottawa is the only team worse right now at 68.2%.

He went back and looked at the lowest ranked penalty killing on November 19th in each season since 1989-90.

Only once in history was it lower than our current PK, and that was the 2010 dead-last Oilers. 

So, historically, this is just about as bad as it gets. And Hextall did absolutely nothing.

The Flyers next three games are against the Sabres (13-6-2), Rangers (11-8-2), and Leafs (15-6-0). There's a very real possibility that they lose all three games - bringing the losing streak to 6. 

If that happens, I think there is no question Hak is gone. 

Happy Thanksgiving! :) A holiday miracle!

14 minutes ago, brelic said:

So, historically, this is just about as bad as it gets. And Hextall did absolutely nothing.

Yes i just posted this in another thread.

22 powerplay goals given up in 20 games is down right terrible.

Should have canned Lappy this past season.

So the one thing they can do is change out one of this biggest PK influencers in goal.

It's worth a shot. Pickard has given up 9 PPGs in 8 games. Not in no way am i saying this is all on the goalie.

But you are very limited in the things you can change and well with Elliott and Neuvy out of service they need to try something else besides Pickard.

It truly is stunning.  The team's biggest weaknesses - PK and goaltending - went unaddressed in the offseason.  That's a big failure.

The Flyers next three games are against the Sabres (13-6-2), Rangers (11-8-2), and Leafs (15-6-0). There's a very real possibility that they lose all three games - bringing the losing streak to 6. 

And there really aren't any "easy" games in sight, except maybe Ottawa.  Guess that's what happens when you're an unpredictable, mediocre team.  However, the injuries to Elliott and Neuvirth provide a built-in excuse to keep Hak's job safe.  In any event, I would be stunned if Hextall fired him in the middle of the season.  

6 minutes ago, vis said:

In any event, I would be stunned if Hextall fired him in the middle of the season.  

I tend to agree with this... Hextall is a very patient and cautious guy. 

But I have to believe that Hak wouldn't survive a 6 game losing streak, which would put us in the basement of the Eastern conference (currently two points out). And the three teams below us have 1-2 games in hand.

19 minutes ago, brelic said:

I tend to agree with this... Hextall is a very patient and cautious guy. 

But I have to believe that Hak wouldn't survive a 6 game losing streak, which would put us in the basement of the Eastern conference (currently two points out). And the three teams below us have 1-2 games in hand.

I don't know.  He's survived worse.  The conventional thinking would dictate that he be fired.  However, Hextall isn't conventional and Hakstol's hiring is Exhibit A in that regard.

Also, there is so little separation between the top and bottom teams in the conference.  It's amazing.  Another excuse Hextall could use...

McClelland is now available, I know some folks here were thinking about kicking the tires with him.

Truly what the hell is the Oil thinking hiring Hitchcock.  I guess they want to turn Leon Draisaitl into a gritty two way forward ?

Anyway, I saw somewhere twitter ? there are 3 teams with 6 home loses... the Flyers are one the other two have new coaches.

I saw Q doing ski shots at the bears game, clearly he needs something to do.

On 11/19/2018 at 9:26 AM, brelic said:

Don't discount the games in hand that lower teams have on the Flyers.    Being average like last year could have them out of the playoffs....    

And dare I say our goaltending was a bit more secure than last year at this point. 

Archived