It's Time for the Retrofit

Howie58

3 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

No kidding. I hope he's well. This place is not the same without him.  Do we know if he's even looked in on us, if only for a wee minute? 

Coming up on a year since he last visited - February 5, 2018.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

No kidding. I hope he's well. This place is not the same without him.  Do we know if he's even looked in on us, if only for a wee minute? 

Not since last February 5.

https://cardiaccane.com/2019/01/29/carolina-hurricanes-3-trades-flyers/

Oof. That writer explores three possibles trades between the Flyers and Canes. Not surprisingly, I don't like any of them.

Simmonds for Foegele + 2019 2nd rounder

Now before you read the second proposal, make sure you're not drinking anything.

Ghost and Konecny for Faulk, Kuokkanen, 2019 1st rounder

And finally.. 

Voracek for Wallmark, Roy, 2020 2nd rounder.

No thanks.

4 minutes ago, brelic said:

Oof. That writer explores three possibles trades between the Flyers and Canes. Not surprisingly, I don't like any of them.

Now before you read the second proposal, make sure you're not drinking anything.

And finally.. 

No thanks.

Two questions:   

1)  Honestly asking because I haven't.  Have you ever read anything remotely sane on Fansided?   Honestly, it's just random message board posters posting toughfighter gibberish in the form of a blog.  Most here could do that better (I'll let you decided which part I mean).

2)  Do you suppose cardiaccane is some sort of hallucinogenic or narcotic or something? 

6 minutes ago, brelic said:

And finally.. 

No thanks.

Weird, the one guy that I could see the Flyers targeting would be a guy like Ferland who is UFA and rumored to be on the market. He'd look great in O&B. Him and Faulk for Voracek and 2nd.

3 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Weird, the one guy that I could see the Flyers targeting would be a guy like Ferland who is UFA and rumored to be on the market. He'd look great in O&B. Him and Faulk for Voracek and 2nd.

Honestly, the whole site is just random guys eating cheetos in their underwear while chugging Miller Lite typing random nonsense into their computer.  Most (if not all) are not professional writers and have no contact to anyone -- even in their own neighborhood.  Last year, the crap written about the draft was hysterical.  It's entertaining sometimes, but nothing at all to take seriously.

I"m okay with Ferland, but not excited.  And I really don't want Faulk.  I think we could spend Voracek--let alone a 2nd--better elsewhere.

You know, honestly, if the Hurricanes are trading for Voracek, they're going all in on a meh team.  But make them pay.  

Voracek and 2nd  for Svechnikov/Faulk

or Voracek/Gudas/2nd for Svechnikov/Faulk.

The money works only because they have tons of cap space.  I don't really want Faulk, but he'd be the incompetent vet presence that we've come to love in MacDonald.

13 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Honestly, the whole site is just random guys eating cheetos in their underwear while chugging Miller Lite typing random nonsense into their computer.  Most (if not all) are not professional writers and have no contact to anyone -- even in their own neighborhood.  Last year, the crap written about the draft was hysterical.  It's entertaining sometimes, but nothing at all to take seriously.

I"m okay with Ferland, but not excited.  And I really don't want Faulk.  I think we could spend Voracek--let alone a 2nd--better elsewhere.

Fair enough. I think Freeland is a faster version of Simmonds. But yeah, gimme Svechnikov all day.

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Because what, exactly, have Pietr and Tarasenko done in St. Louis that Ghost and Voracek haven't done here?  Asking for a friend.

Not really sure it even matters...what you did or didn't do for another team doesn't mean you will repeat it on another team.

Think of it as new different chairs on the titanic......... 

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not really sure it even matters...what you did or didn't do for another team doesn't mean you will repeat it on another team.

Think of it as new different chairs on the titanic......... 

Well, I agree, but that was the throw-in argument, although it does actually matter in the cost discussion.  I don't think it necessarily matters in the "do we trade for them" part of it.  I'm good with trading the primary pieces.  The rest stands.  There's no reason to add in picks.

4 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Well, I agree, but that was the throw-in argument, although it does actually matter in the cost discussion.  I don't think it necessarily matters in the "do we trade for them" part of it.  I'm good with trading the primary pieces.  The rest stands.  There's no reason to add in picks.

Ghost, Jake and a 2nd then my final offer....

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Ghost, Jake and a 2nd then my final offer....

LMAO

You ARE Holmgren!  I'm serious, Homer, let OR out of the basement and go for a bike ride in Sea Isle City (or Avalon.  I can't remember which it was at the moment).

I'm completely game for the players.  I don't think you need to throw in the picks.

Seriously, if I'm on the phone it's "I'll trade you Ghost and Voracek for Tarasenko, Pietrangelo, and a 2nd"  and start from there.

11 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I don't think you need to throw in the picks.

I just feel the players the Flyers would be getting back are better is all not even caring about who has better numbers.

Maybe i am undervaluing the Flyer players....wouldn't be the first time.

On 1/9/2019 at 4:36 PM, flyercanuck said:

It's also exactly Fletchers M.O.

I'm not a fan of Fletcher or the situation in Philly management right now, but to be fair, the scuttlebutt I've heard is that much of the situation in Minnesota was the result of ownership meddling similarly to the way we seem to believe it was Snider pushing for Bryz and VLC and moving the core and JvR for Luke Schenn and... well all that.  

That's the bright side if it's true.  The down side if it's true is that Fletcher had no backbone against lunacy from above in MN either and now he's got the grand champion lunatic breathing down his neck.

Did I mention that I'm not a fan of the situation right now?

32 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I just feel the players the Flyers would be getting back are better is all not even caring about who has better numbers.

Maybe i am undervaluing the Flyer players....wouldn't be the first time.

This is exactly what I'm afraid of.  

To me, the only two questions worth thinking about right now for this team are these three:

-Do you keep Simmonds (aka is resigning him going to be as or more advantageous than what you can get in free agency in July? and does trading him for picks now preclude resigning him then (will he hold a grudge if he wins a cup in Nashville for instance).

-Can you get yourself a solid Defenseman in trade or Free Agency this summer that will actually play better than what you have?

(The answer here for me is probably a no.  Yes, they can trade the likes of MacDonald and Folin and even Gudas or Hagg... but if you trade Ghost, Provo, Sanheim, Myers or even Morin, are you likely to get a significantly better player in return? The answer is almost definitely no.  You are not.)

-Is Scott Gordon an NHL Coach?  (Luckily you have a few more months to worry about this and figure it out).

Other than that, as far as I'm concerned, it's stay the course and go all in on Panarin (within reason).  

Forced to choose, I'll take Panarin and whatever Simmonds fetches us, but if the D man isn't actually in the picture, you can make a good case for having cap room to keep Simmonds and Sign Panarin.

Frankly, I'm afraid I feel like Simmer's best use for this team is in what he'll fetch at the deadline.

If Someone wants Jake or JVR, sure... trade them Jake or JVR (though I think we're seeing why that might not be a great idea), but then you have utterly no choice in keeping Simmonds and signing Panarin.  It has to happen.  

If Fletcher trades TK, Patrick, Provo, Ghost, Sanheim, or Myers, there had damn well better be a guaranteed top 3 overall this draft involved.  

In closing, I'll just reiterate that I have utterly no doubt that you are undervaluing the Flyers players.  This is an extremely talented team.  I've said so all along.  They have been grossly miscoached for 6 years. Like in a really bad way.  So bad, that I'm still not sure guys like Ghost will ever recover from what it's done to their game.   I'll never forgive Hextall for that.  It was painfully obvious for a long time that Hakstol was a problem and he didn't take action.  There's an argument to be made that he thought he still had time... because he'd been promised the time...  but ultimately, why?  What's the point of that?  They were a good team bring ruined by an inadequate coach.  

Now they're an organization lost in the fray and unsure of what the hell to do.  Frankly, I greatly prefer the frustration of knowing what was wrong and how to fix it (even if Hextall didn't) to the frustration of waiting to see what Fletcher is going to do to appease the hot headed reactionaries above him.  

That said, you can still improve things.  Always can.  But making trades just to make trades, especially involving magic beans and or over the hill vets, well we've seen where that gets you, and I have no interest in visiting that town again.   

2 hours ago, brelic said:

And finally.. 

No thanks.

If the names Ghost and Konecny are involved in a trade, the name Hughes had better be involved on the other side somehow.  

7 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Do you keep Simmonds

No. Next question.

8 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Can you get yourself a solid Defenseman in trade or Free Agency this summer that will actually play better than what you have?

Maybe.

I would target Tyler Myers. Or if Winnipeg resign him i would try Stralman.

11 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Is Scott Gordon an NHL Coach?

Ask me again after the season.

I don't think Panarin wants to come to Philly.

Something tells me he ends up in NY. With one of those teams.

14 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I would target Tyler Myers. Or if Winnipeg resign him i would try Stralman.

Myers is a good player and I'd be happy with him, but I'm not trading for a UFA, so we're off to the races in the summer.

14 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I don't think Panarin wants to come to Philly.

Something tells me he ends up in NY. With one of those teams.

We'll see.  His agents may have something to say about that too.  And that essentially means Rangers because the Islanders will likely be ending up back out on the island, at which point you might as well be in Philly.  I think one trip to Newark should erase the Devils from Contention.

If you can't get Panarin though, you kinda have to reconsider on Simmonds.  Unless you trade for Stone, and frankly I'm not interested in that locker room turmoil.  

12 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Myers is a good player and I'd be happy with him, but I'm not trading for a UFA, so we're off to the races in the summer.

You said or free agency...i didn't say trade for him.

Archived