Flyers trade Taylor Leier to Sabres for minor-league winger Justin Bailey

pilldoc

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I mean, it's worth taking about.

I don't think so. Just an AHL move to free up NAK soon.

Nothing ore really. Leier wasn't ever coming to the Flyers again time to move on.

1 minute ago, Hockey Junkie said:

This is an AHL trade for sure. Bailey was given chances up in Buffalo.  I did not follow him much this year in Rochester but knew he would never get back to the NHL with the Sabres.  Headed to Phantoms for sure. Might help them. I know nothing about this kid from your team

Just a AHLer nothing more a meh trade really.

12 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

This is an AHL trade for sure. Bailey was given chances up in Buffalo.  I did not follow him much this year in Rochester but knew he would never get back to the NHL with the Sabres.  Headed to Phantoms for sure. Might help them. I know nothing about this kid from your team

Whether he goes to the phantoms or the Flyers, he's going to an AHL-quality team either way. 

27 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Didn't translate to the NHL. Sorry.

Sure but you seen his name compared to Chris Conner....another career AHLer...it's all he is i wish him luck with the Sabres...nothing to see here really.

Exactly...much more we could talk about than this move.

Except its odd to make such a pointless move. 

But in terms of other news, I just saw on Twitter that Weise was told not to come to practice and await word on a trade.  

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

Except its odd to make such a pointless move. 

But in terms of other news, I just saw on Twitter that Weise was told not to come to practice and await word on a trade.  

What?

A trade for Weise?

That would be awesome.

But why wouldn't they just claim him for free?

Unless the Flyers are going to carry part of his salary?

Where did you see that?

4 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Whether he goes to the phantoms or the Flyers, he's going to an AHL-quality team either way. 

He scored the tying goal to force OT tonight for the Phantoms and picked up an assist!

So it's official the Flyers won the trade!

The Flyers won the trade!!!!

Just kidding...

...I feel I have to put that on here because someone here will literally take me seriously I just know.

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

What?

A trade for Weise?

That would be awesome.

But why wouldn't they just claim him for free?

Unless the Flyers are going to carry part of his salary?

Where did you see that?

https://www.sportstalkphilly.com/2019/01/flyers-likely-to-trade-dale-weise.html

Sounds like it’s definitely not a straight up trade.  

Again, if they have to send a pick to get rid of him, this says to me they are trying to free up every last cent for something. 

Leier/Bailey is a wash.  Weal saves almost $2million and Weise over $2 million more.

They must be prepping for for bringing in UFA’s and BIG ones at that because they have $20 million in cap space now and should have something like $40million after the season. 

Those kinds of numbers say Karlsson AND Panarin to me. 

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

https://www.sportstalkphilly.com/2019/01/flyers-likely-to-trade-dale-weise.html

Sounds like it’s definitely not a straight up trade.  

Again, if they have to send a pick to get rid of him, this says to me they are trying to free up every last cent for something. 

Leier/Bailey is a wash.  Weal saves almost $2million and Weise over $2 million more.

They must be prepping for for bringing in UFA’s and BIG ones at that because they have $20 million in cap space now and should have something like $40million after the season. 

Those kinds of numbers say Karlsson AND Panarin to me. 

Not sure where you get those cap numbers but they are not accurate.

Regardless I would be ok retaining half his salary but to have to send a draft pick that way makes no sense.

Seems like some of these teams that hover around the floor with their cap would be ok with him for 2019 at an actually salary of just 1.75 mill...and a cap hit of 2.35 mill.

Yet this tells you how bad Ron bungled this signing once again when no one wants this bum.

And I don't know why they need to free up all this cap space to sign who?

There are not a lot of holes unless you are planning on moving Simmer,.Jake and JVR then yes depending on what crazy deal Fletcher has in mind he could need the money.

However I do not want Bob. He sounds like he would be a bad influence to Harr and doesn't like sharing his net and want no part of him.

I'm cool with obtaining a vet just not Bob.

Besides rumor has it he wants 11 mill per season and Hart already has a better save percentage and goals against average than him.

7 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not sure where you get those cap numbers but they are not accurate.

Regardless I would be ok retaining half his salary but to have to send a draft pick that way makes no sense.

Seems like some of these teams that hover around the floor with their cap would be ok with him for 2019 at an actually salary of just 1.75 mill...and a cap hit of 2.35 mill.

Yet this tells you how bad Ron bungled this signing once again when no one wants this bum.

And I don't know why they need to free up all this cap space to sign who?

There are not a lot of holes unless you are planning on moving Simmer,.Jake and JVR then yes depending on what crazy deal Fletcher has in mind he could need the money.

However I do not want Bob. He sounds like he would be a bad influence to Harr and doesn't like sharing his net and want no part of him.

I'm cool with obtaining a vet just not Bob.

Besides rumor has it he wants 11 mill per season and Hart already has a better save percentage and goals against average than him.

Youre right.  It was late and I took the deadline capnspace number for next year 

but:

4.7 jori

4 Wayne

2.3 Raff

1 Laughton

1.5 for TK and Varone

almost 3 million for Provo, Sanheim and Folin

700k for McKenna

5 for Elliott and Neuvy. 

That totals over $21million to add to the existing 20million which doesn’t include buying out Mac or Weise. 

Obviously we want to resign a lot of these guys like TK, Provo Laughton and Sanheim who are all UFA. 

Realistically that would lower the cap space to $25-26 or so.  

I don’t  want Bob.  Period.  I

Add me to the list that doesn't want Bob. 

I bet we're getting Ryan Suter. A team president that was smitten, a GM who paid, and his current team is drowning. 

I don't want him, and I'm not sure I'm entirely serious, but I would not be shocked. 

21 hours ago, King Knut said:

His contract is up and he's UFA, so yeah... I think Hextall would have traded him if he had the chance.  That fits with Hextall's MO.

Forgot he is UFA.  Agree that Hextall would likely have dealt him.  It was clear he wasn’t a fit here for whatever reason.  

Think about it, what does waiving Weise do?

They want him gone.  They couldn’t find a trade for him, so they wanted to see if someone would take him for free.  

Raffl is in the last year of his contract, and although he was very useful (if not actually "good") I doubt he'll be back

This one I’m not sure about.  I think there is a chance he could back.  If Hextall we’re here, I’d be inclined to think he’d be back.  But I’m also not sure Fletcher will move on.  They should, though.  

Frankly, that's part of what doesn't make sense about the Leier deal to me.  Moving his roster spot to make room for junior and college kids next season (and in the spring for the playoffs even) actually makes sense except Bailey is taking up that same roster spot now.  

Maybe it was strictly an AHL move with the Phantoms wanting size and the Sabres wanting speed.  Could be as simple as that.  Maybe they feel neither at this point is more than an injury call up and they felt Bailey would be more versatile.  

Complete side note:  Jordan Weal is now the 4th most highly paid forward on the Arizona Coyotes.  

No.  Really.  

And their top center, no?

On 1/18/2019 at 6:02 PM, Hockey Junkie said:

Shocking enough to see these two eastern teams do business.  LOL.  

Gave them the lead last night 2-1 what ended up being the tying goal.

Kid has been a nice addition so far.

Not sure if he gets a chance with the Flyers this year but he will help the Phantoms load up for a chance to win the Calder Cup this year.

Archived